Megaupload Trial May Never Happen, Judge Says

page: 1

join

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Megaupload Trial May Never Happen, Judge Says

torrentfreak.com

A US judge has put a bomb under the Megaupload case by informing the FBI that a trial in the United States may never happen. The cyberlocker was never formally served with the appropriate paperwork by the US authorities, as it is impossible to serve a foreign company with criminal charges.

Charges in the indictment include engaging in a racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and two substantive counts of criminal copyright inf
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.itproportal.com
www.gtspirit.com
www.hollywoodreporter.com

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
(If this issue indeed prevents Megaupload from being tried in the US, it would be a blunder of epic proportions. And it is not the first “procedural” mistake either. )

Well Well What do we have here? the judge admitting the case agaisnt Megaupload is a mistake and and not even a criminal matter!? and the only charges Kim Dotcom is facing are conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement.

And now we have the Judge admitting the case agaisnt Dotcom will never fly? thats surprising.

But wait theres more while Dotcom was in prison and awaiting the case that will never happen.

Dotcom got his $750,000 and vehicles back.
So now the question is why did FBI shut down megaupload then? was it because Hollywood feared they would lose consumers?

How can they claim such nonsense while major industry hubs like MPPA or RIAA are getting trillions? isn't there some logic in that?

Because of megaupload shut down now other file downloading sites are closing there downloading option.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If this holds true, then he might be able to try to sue the Government.. and he may be able to resume operations, no?

He would be owed back-pay for the time his operations were shut down I would imagine.. if the authorities didn't just wipe out the information he had stored all together..

Of course they'd never let him have it back..

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
They didn't care about the pirating, it was the music industry lobby bitching about their artist using MegaUpload as an avenue for distribution with out them.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
They didn't care about the pirating, it was the music industry lobby bitching about their artist using MegaUpload as an avenue for distribution with out them.

Absolutely, before they went after Megaupload the company had been advertising their services using well known people including Kanye West saying they trust their music to Megaupload. So you are correct this wasn't about pirating, it was about punishing a company who gave artists control over their music which is a no-no in the industry. They had to do this how else could they rob their artists effectively.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
From what I understand, .com, .org, and .net all belong to the US govt, meaning they can close down websites hosted on .com/.net/.org domains. This is likely why Pirate Bay changed their domain from .org to .se; .se is out of the US govt's jurisdiction.

So they can keep megaupload.com shut down, but if the site changes domains to something outside of US jurisdiction our government will not be able to do anything to them.

I don't get how they can legally try him in America if he's not American and did not commit a crime on American soil. It seems like they want to make an example out of Kim Dotcom and scare similar websites.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I don't get how they can legally try him in America if he's not American and did not commit a crime on American soil. It seems like they want to make an example out of Kim Dotcom and scare similar websites.

Well they did that, they scared quite a few of sites straight out of business after they shutdown Megaupload.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Originally posted by benrl

Absolutely, before they went after Megaupload the company had been advertising their services using well known people including Kanye West saying they trust their music to Megaupload. So you are correct this wasn't about pirating, it was about punishing a company who gave artists control over their music which is a no-no in the industry.

No the main reason they were taken down was because of Megabox; the feds had plenty of dirt on Megaupload, but did not make the push to arrest Kim and shut down the website until after the announcement of Megabox:

One

MegaUpload was planning to offer 90 percent of revenues back to artists, even on free downloads. Which sort of fits into a very shady revenue model that actually paid uploaders based on the number of subsequent downloads received. "We have a solution called the MegaKey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The MegaKey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

Two

Basically, Megaupload made the mistake of challenging the music industry, and was shut down as a result. Megabox, it can be argued, would have successfully put the dying music industry out of its misery.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
From what I understand, .com, .org, and .net all belong to the US govt, meaning they can close down websites hosted on .com/.net/.org domains. This is likely why Pirate Bay changed their domain from .org to .se; .se is out of the US govt's jurisdiction.

So they can keep megaupload.com shut down, but if the site changes domains to something outside of US jurisdiction our government will not be able to do anything to them.

The government technically controls ALL domain names because they control the dns root servers..

en.wikipedia.org...

The US government delegated operation of these to other companies but they retain overall control of them.. so if they really wanted to, they could shut down thepiratebay.se .. the power of the net still sits in the palm of the US Government's hands ...of course you can still get to it with the IP address..

www.howtoweb.com...

An extraordinary statement by the US government has sent shockwaves around the internet world and thrown the future of the network into doubt.

In a worrying U-turn, the US Department of Commerce (DoC) has made it clear it intends to retain control of the internet's root servers indefinitely. It was due to relinquish that control in September 2006, when its contract with overseeing body ICANN ended.

The decision - something that people have long feared may happen - will not only make large parts of the world furious but also puts ICANN in a very difficult position. The organisation has slowly been expanding out of its California base in an effort to become an international body with overall responsibility for the internet.

Now foreign governments could retain those DNS fragments and it would be accessible in their own country, but if the government wanted it to mostly vanish, it would be gone from a majority of the world.
edit on 5/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Hillary Rosen was the driving force behind the RIAA lobby, she evicerated a single mother who lives not too far from me for filesharing ~20 songs. That poor womans life has been hell, and she's not alone.

This is one of Obama's trusted "inner circle", the people he listens to over Senators and members of Congress. I've seen many Democrats complain in the press that they never see the President, that he prefers to use go betweens and they feel very slighted by it.

Between this and Tipper Gore's war on obscene lyrics I wonder why any young people are Democrats.

I do not like this DotCom douchebag, he's not a good person. But the day the U.S. is allowed to apply it's laws to people in other countries is the day we have a world government.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

That explains why Cowell wipes his arse with black toilet roll !
He's mourning his lost hundred dollars !

Peace

XL5

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Purplemer, why exactly does Ike Perlmutter look like Stan Lee?

Its funny that the anti-piracy supporters haven't tried to dismiss the cutting out of the middle man tid-bit. If its true that the reason megaupload was shut down was the cutting out of the middle man, I hope that trend of "missing middle man" continues.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think mega was able to get off...( if they did) because of faulty paperwork...right? If they tried to start-up operations again...I think the the FBIwon't make those mistakes...again....butt....we're talking FBI? Right? lol
edit on 2-5-2012 by tracehd1 because: Corr

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
I think mega was able to get off...( if they did) because of faulty paperwork...right? If they tried to start-up operations again...I think the the FBIwon't make those mistakes...again....butt....we're talking FBI? Right? lol
edit on 2-5-2012 by tracehd1 because: Corr

Its not that they made a mistake, its that they were trying to do things they had no authority over in the first place.

This is just like accusing someone of murder then having no evidence to go to trial with. You didn't really think they were murderers and you never had a case, but the damage is already done in terms of public opinion.

In this case they got a site shut down and destroyed with no need to go to trial.

new topics

top topics

join