It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Nazis begin censorship of internet - Virgin and more blocking PirateBay!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
1984 has arrived

File-sharing site The Pirate Bay must be blocked by UK internet service providers, the High Court has ruled. The Swedish website hosts links to download mostly pirated free music and video. Sky, Everything Everywhere, TalkTalk, O2 and Virgin Media must all prevent their users from accessing the site. "Sites like The Pirate Bay destroy jobs in the UK and undermine investment in new British artists," the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) said.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The nazi censorship ban on thepiratebay.se by all ISPs in Britain is beginning after the courts have ordered it. I'm shocked this isn't a hot topic on here considering the implications if the ISPs don't successfully fight this (i believe BT are going to try)

The message when I visit piratebay is this

Sorry, the web page you have requested is not available through Virgin Media. Virgin Media has received an order from the Courts requiring us to prevent access to this site in order to help protect against copyright infringement.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm from UK too and Piratebay isn't working for me too

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You shouldn't be on there anyway.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
im in the uk but im not gonna check if its working incase they are also told to monitor who is trying to access it.
but thats the start of the internet downfall ,they just gonna fill it up with ads and pay to stream movie sites,

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuthealien
im in the uk but im not gonna check if its working incase they are also told to monitor who is trying to access it.
but thats the start of the internet downfall ,they just gonna fill it up with ads and pay to stream movie sites,

You'll be okay Stu, the story is running in most UK media so naturally people are going to have a gander.

I didn't realise when I went to bed last night that I would wake up in state China

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Sparkzz

does anon.to work ?

anonym.to...

Hope this post is not violating some rule here .. but it is the topic .

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Man, I nearly sh!t a brick then! I'm good for now however! I'm not gonna say what provider I'm with for fear that I'll be next! Even though it is most likely inevitable anyway!

This is just ridiculous, all I can say is I'm glad I kicked virgin to the curb!

I feel gutted for everyone that's gotten blocked though. Is it the same for all file sharing sites? Kickass and such?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Oh and what about if you go through tor? Is it still blocked? Don't fret people, where there is a will there is a way! Someone will figure this out! It's just cat and mouse!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
Oh and what about if you go through tor? Is it still blocked? Don't fret people, where there is a will there is a way! Someone will figure this out! It's just cat and mouse!

I imagine you can get it through TOR or any sort of VPN

PB has alternative sites too, considering none of the actual files are on PB you can work around it that way

www.pirateproxy.net... for example

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
thepiratebay.se.proxy.piratenpartij.nl...

dutch mirror works too

you get the idea

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
my internet provider hasn't blocked it yet but it just a matter of time I'm sure.

I like the internet, I like how it works, it doesn't need tweaking or prodding by those "gentlemen" of negotiable virtue known as politicians. They're just a bunch of crooks with a self declared righteousness that stinks to high heaven of hypocrisy.
edit on 2-5-2012 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
How does "copyright infringement" have anything to do with "censorship"

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JailTales

Ahhh as I suspected then, cat and mouse! One door closes another opens! I wonder, how much money are they wasting trying to fight these things? Well I suppose it's only so called public money anyway so no skin off their nose! Gives the toffs something to jibber on about at their meetings!

Makes me laugh really, they can run around the globe raping and pillaging the lands, murdering and torturing as they go! Yet they get on their high horses in matters such as this! Absolute jokers!

Not to mention them stealing actual property off everyone in the way of tax! Hell they can even borrow money in peoples names and then charge it forwards to the next generations!

They make me wanna puke!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The site doesn't just deal with copyright stuff, I use it to download things like ubuntu as their servers are slow as! Also you get lots of free stuff like the tunnel for instance that allowed their film to be downloaded for free! In the hope that you donated to them!

Any way dude, intellectual property rights are a farce and only impedes the free flow of information! Movie companies make more than enough dollar from cinema releases! Also no matter if you can download for free people like to have the pretty cases for display purposes!

Perhaps if they didn't charge ridiculous prices for their fluff in the first place people wouldn't rip them off?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I can argue against this on several levels

1. the UK is supposed to be a democracy (sort of) which means that the government is supposed to represent the will of the populace and most people really don't consider this an issue and virtually everyone else of the minority that actually care about the issue oppose this kind of censorship of copyrighted websites.

2. numerous other sites contain copyrighted material, Google YouTube and Ats to name just a few, if they start down this line where do they stop.

3. a government's duty isn't to dictate what is right and wrong but to help stop such activities as are socially acceptable from degenerating into bloody anarchy and stop activities which are socially unacceptable. this crosses a line into enforcing beliefs on to others with the added hypocrisy of the politician by and large not even particularly believing in what they're saying instead they're caring about there next kickback.

4. Copy-write stagnates advancement of culture society and technology because it stops the next generation from building on the achievements of the last generation like people have since time immemorial.

5. The copy-write movement as run by the corporations will only clash more and more with peoples desires to choose for themselves how to live as technologies such as 3d printers continue to develop. This self serving ideology of copy-write (at least as it currently stands) need to be stopped asap not encouraged.

6. there are some real issues facing the country right now which the politicians need to be sorting, instead they're faffing around on the internet.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just a matter of adding a line to your 'hosts' file in windows/system32 folder.
I can still access !

Peace

Oh and the detractors should know that more and more artists and bands are using TPB to release their work to the masses FREE of charge ! For instance, right now THESE guys :-

medialux.com...

Peace, out !

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

Well, I have a friend who used to go to it, but it's become an attack site and is inundated by nasty viruses, so he doesn't go to it anymore.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Video Piracey is theft , regardless of your stance on this subject.
Yes the movie companies and their distributors charge a hell of a lot for their product and so invite piracey, but that is not what file share sites are primarily about and to deny access to such sites is an infringement on our rights .

End of .

DP

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

With all due respect, your friend should be more careful and read the tips for DLing in the forum sections !
Use trusted ULers (there the ones with skull n bones icons) and read any comments beneath the posts !

Never had anything malicious myself !

Peace

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnprince
Video Piracey is theft , regardless of your stance on this subject.

That's an argument all by itself, personally I don't consider it theft. to steal from someone you have to take something they owned from them. if you copy something they made it isn't the same thing. I can understand people arguing that its wrong but I really can't understand why they would call it theft.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join