It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next Yellowstone Supereruption Is Closer Than You Think

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Thats a good way of looking at it

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I believe that the next eruption of this super-volcano is gonna be provoked. Its not too hard, just put a bomb there, preferebly underground and voila, provoked eruption;

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrippler
I believe that the next eruption of this super-volcano is gonna be provoked. Its not too hard, just put a bomb there, preferebly underground and voila, provoked eruption;

Really...this works?

Or is it supposed to in theory?

I have never heard of this procedure being done before...so if you can provide some links...or other such material to support your claim...I would really be interested in reading more about it!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Really...this works?

I have never heard of this procedure being done before...so if you can provide some links...or other such material to support your claim...I would really be interested in reading more about it!

I've heard it theorized but I don't know the science behind it. I mean if a nuke were to be set off there, the nuke itself would be devastating.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77

Really...this works?

I've heard it theorized but I don't know the science behind it. I mean if a nuke were to be set off there, the nuke itself would be devastating.

Well I think in theory it sounds good...but I have some differing thoughts about that theory.

First off...as magma rises and gases built...pressures increase as the escaping gases are captured...so in this theory...setting off a nuclear bomb underground migh just create more room for the magma and gases...thus reducing the pressure on the volcano!

I mean...who knows...might blow the Midwestern U.S. off map...but the idea of a bomb setting off an eruption...there has to be some science behind that theory...maybe even some type of trial before...at least one would think so anyway!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

I'll be about 3 hours away from the cauldera December 21, 2012.

I'll probably be shoveling snow, not ash.

The eruption is supposed to happen every 600,000 years. It's been 640,000 years now.

So it could happen "any time", true.

But take a look at what we've accomplished in just 500 years. Look at what HAS been accomplished in that time.

I think we'll be all right.

Just gotta put it in perspective.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77

Really...this works?

Well I think in theory it sounds good...but I have some differing thoughts about that theory.

First off...as magma rises and gases built...pressures increase as the escaping gases are captured...so in this theory...setting off a nuclear bomb underground migh just create more room for the magma and gases...thus reducing the pressure on the volcano!

I mean...who knows...might blow the Midwestern U.S. off map...but the idea of a bomb setting off an eruption...there has to be some science behind that theory...maybe even some type of trial before...at least one would think so anyway!

What is a volcano?
It's basically a "pore", just like those on your skin. Its a way to relief presure from the earth's core. Every now and then, the "pore" gets obstructed with rock, earth and ashes or whatever. When it happens, the pressure starts to increase, and I mean A LOT of pressure. Sometime, the layer of rocks, ashes and all stuff blocking the "pore", is just not enough to hold the pressure underneath it. Its when an eruption comes in. Its all very simple, compare a volcano with a pore (or a pimp) its a valid analogy.

Well, this pressure is always there, it increases to the point of an eruption, but it is there. Its condensed energy. And this energy is always trying to "get out". It doesn't need a rocket scientist to understand that. Its like a propane cylinder, its full of pressure and it doesn't take much to explode it. Puting some kind of bomb there, could make the layer of earth, rock and stuff to weaken and the pressure from bottom to be higher and voila, a provoked eruption. I would be never able to "prove" anything, nor I know any studies about it. Its pure logic and a small knowledge on drilling artesian wells. Whenever we hit the water vein, the pressure is so high that sometimes it breaks the pipes, and this is nothing but water in a small pressure level. Imagine what can happen if you open a big hole there...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
volcanoes or earthquakes are never predictable , scientist are sometimes just good for nothing. Next article will say Yellowstone is not due for an eruption, it will be another few thousand years. Scientist are worst than prophets.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

"The only constant in our findings is that we have no clue what we are doing" - Science and the lulz dog

Yes, the next eruption will be more frequent that zero.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

Yeah because adjusting your viewpoints to the facts makes you worse than a guy who randomly predicts stuff and is never right

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria

Yeah because adjusting your viewpoints to the facts makes you worse than a guy who randomly predicts stuff and is never right

lol really tell me a time where a scientist stick to their research. They always change stuff around. They come back with new information every time. By the time they are right about any of their research you or me will be both dead on Earth. Might as well call scientist , prophets. By the way some predictions do come right, so prophets win.
edit on 14-5-2012 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Science once said cigarettes were good for you.

We need scientists but we can't always trust what they say.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Well a volcanic eruption is simply too much pressure generated underground that once released causes the eruption itself..

A bomb would do just that wouldn't it!?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
To everyone who said a nuclear bomb could cause an eruption:
Would you mind first explaining how to get the bomb down there?
Wouldn't boring the hole itself be enough to weaken the crust?

edit on 5/14/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Well the article said that it produced 2200 times more ash than Mount St. Helens.

And one of the stated eruptions happened twice in a 6000 year period, not once.

Doesn't make me feel better.

Especially considering that the observed eruption was only 12% less than the previous projections. And from the previous projections they estimated that a large portion of the country would be buried in a hurricane of ash. Think of all the crops lost! How would you farm? My math tells me that a 12% reduction will not help matters much.... Although there's probably more to it than that.

2200 times more ash than Mt. St. Helens... According to wiki, the eruption in 1980 of Mount St. Helens deposited ash in 11 states. There was 4 to 5 inches of it in Yakima, 90 miles away from the mountain. Spokane, 245 miles away, was put into darkness by noon - it says they couldn't see more than 10 feet. The ash reached Yellowstone National Park by 10:15pm. It all started around 8am.

Fortunately, it's still unlikely to happen anytime soon. So I'll go on blissfully ignorant.
edit on 14-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by storm2012

lol really tell me a time where a scientist stick to their research. They always change stuff around. They come back with new information every time. By the time they are right about any of their research you or me will be both dead on Earth. Might as well call scientist , prophets. By the way some predictions do come right, so prophets win.

Research has a start and an end point. Stuff isn't changed around, only when new evidence proves the previous stuff to be wrong. Let's see you try and figure out how the universe works. I don't think you can, but I'm sure if you tried you'd # up so many times that you'd make yourself fit into the antagonist position of your own comment.

Why bother posting on a scientific topic if you don't even understand how it fundamentally works?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Research has a start and an end point. Stuff isn't changed around, only when new evidence proves the previous stuff to be wrong. Let's see you try and figure out how the universe works. I don't think you can, but I'm sure if you tried you'd # up so many times that you'd make yourself fit into the antagonist position of your own comment.

Why bother posting on a scientific topic if you don't even understand how it fundamentally works?

just so you know, I know how the universe works. Let me just stop here, because what I know about the universe and how it works, I guarantee you , you dont know any of it. You probably are just a fool , a fool made by a scientist. By the way your location says in a cell, stay in there, please dont get out.
edit on 15-5-2012 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

just so you know, I know how the universe works. Let me just stop here, because what I know about the universe and how it works, I guarantee you , you dont know any of it. You probably are just a fool , a fool made by a scientist. By the way your location says in a cell, stay in there, please dont get out.

Oh you do? Please show us how to harness Dark energy and Dark matter then.

I don't know what's worse, people who think they know science and make a fool of themselves, or people who claim that they do know science yet know nothing. Sad thing is you're a mixture of both.

By the way, you know mitochondria used to live outside the cell right? But they found it much easier to live inside cells and produce energy for the cell, while the cell gives it protection. I figured since you already know the entire universe that this wouldn't be a shocker to you
, but you do realize if we apply the same principle of your brain leaving its thick skull to learn something once in a while, it'd probably rot due to all the misinformation you've shoved in there and then to top it off, your super-sized ego?

Since were about denying ignorance, it's time for you to get off of this board.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Oh you do? Please show us how to harness Dark energy and Dark matter then.

I don't know what's worse, people who think they know science and make a fool of themselves, or people who claim that they do know science yet know nothing. Sad thing is you're a mixture of both.

By the way, you know mitochondria used to live outside the cell right? But they found it much easier to live inside cells and produce energy for the cell, while the cell gives it protection. I figured since you already know the entire universe that this wouldn't be a shocker to you
, but you do realize if we apply the same principle of your brain leaving its thick skull to learn something once in a while, it'd probably rot due to all the misinformation you've shoved in there and then to top it off, your super-sized ego?

Since were about denying ignorance, it's time for you to get off of this board.

I never said I am scientist lol, i dont bluff stuff around like scientist do, and okay genius, ill get off this topic, i dont want to waste my time or your time. Take care mitochondria, keep supplying energy to the cells.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
You're only worried about Yellowtone Caldera because it is right on your doorstep. What about all the other super volcano's that there are all around the world ? Some of these other super volcano's dotted around the world are more like mega volcano's, rather than mere super volcano's, by comparisson to the Yellowstone Caldera. Although Yellowstone Caldera is a major concern nevertheless a caldera of that size or bigger going off anywhere on earth is going to bring in the next major Ice Age.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join