It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins help fishermen to catch fish: They signal with head or tail slaps where nets should be thro

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

A visitor might stumble upon a strange sight in Laguna, Brazil, if they went down to the shore. Here, the local fishermen rely on dolphins to help them with their yearly fish catch.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Sorry mods if in wrong place, couldnt spot a better one.
edit on 2-5-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Can't believe the dolphins would help the humans take their food. Poor things. Do they realize they are stealing the food for fishes in the oceans to be able to eat? Now they have to starve because the humans want a luxury meal.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

My guess would be that there are "plenty of fish in the sea" ... or now anyway.

Dolphins are pretty amazing though, especially when it comes to helping humans lost at sea. Good find.
edit on 2-5-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

The cooperation is helpful to both parties, researchers said. The two wouldn't survive without each other.

You jumped to fast to your conclusion, you should really read the article before posting.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Can't believe the dolphins would help the humans take their food. Poor things. Do they realize they are stealing the food for fishes in the oceans to be able to eat? Now they have to starve because the humans want a luxury meal.

Perhaps because dolphins have an ability to connect with other animals? Perhaps because they know people need to eat too.......

Perhaps because they might be more intelligent/enlightened creatures then we are

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Imagine if dolphins had thumbs...

We are very lucky to be top dog on this earth, and there is no way of knowing how smart dolphins actually are..

They do seem to have a certain spiritual vibe to them, Like they are in on the secret.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Makes you wonder huh?

Such beautiful creatures.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
dolphin are amazing creatures. They help guide ships away from reefs and wrecks. My dad was once on a sailing vacation with some friends and a pod of dolphin started dancing and jumping in front of their boat, forcing them to slow down. once they did, they dolphin worked their way towards the back of the boat where my dad, and his friends, saw that the dinghy was loose and drifting away.

when you go fishing in Cabo San Lucas, you tell the captain what you want to catch (bill fish such as marlin and sailfish or tuna) and then, after procuring the proper bait, you exit the marina. Once you hit the open water, you start to see dolphin. They showed us dolphin that swim and jump alongside the boat, which they referred to as jumpers, and dolphin that would leap out of the water and twist on their tails. They called them spinners. The spinners will lead you to the tuna, the jumpers will lead you to the bill fish.

We follwed the jumpers. Once the dolphin disappeared, the crew dropped the lines in and we started hooking fish.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me. When the French first got to Canada, they documented killer whales helping them not only fish, but retrieve sailors who fell from the boat (main or fishing).
The indignious people also had such experinces with the killer whales, which is probably why they were use to humans in thier waters and helping them. The killer whales had been do so for literally generations.
Yeah, just because something can't build a computer or a car doesn't mean thier not as intelligent as us...in fact, maybe they're so smart, they decided to avoid the whole "oil-gas-pollution" thing and just enjoy the bounty of the sea for what it was.

My two cents...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Someone didn't read the article. These are not over-fishing industrial trawlers here, these are men wading out with hand nets and catching fish for their family to eat and to sell for their only source of income. If you call subsistence fishery a 'luxury meal' then I guess they dine like kings.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I would make the argument that dolphins are closer to humans than monkeys are. They seem to have a genuine interest in our best interests.
And they have sex for the pleasure. Good species they are.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'm not doubting that Dolphins are social creatures and i can say for lately all animals are capable of being intelligent that rivals humans but.
I'm just wondering why would Dolphins help humans at all, i just don't see any instincts from them that they would engage on insisting foreign looking creatures like us that don't inhabit where they live. if they were INTELLIGENT they would've stayed away from us, because we would kill them, eat them, skin them or whatever.
If they were loving animals why don't they help out and save other fishes in the sea that are closer to there home and more likely relatable to there species. But us? I just don't see it happening unless they're semi domesticated or something.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Its not like that. Dolpins are not like we think. They're far more closer to our family than we think, ie soul wise. And they like/enjoy/love working with humans, and even try to wake us up. The destruction of the oceans, toxins, radiations and huge commercial fish nets cause them great distress, but local fishing, the way its always been down, taking what you need, not greedy, supporting communities, is good. And needed for humans, and what we don't understand is dolphins are our friends.

We were meant, in advanced non predatory culture, if we were evolving well, to establish communications, friendship between those of the sea and the lands, and only have used/developed the clean technologies (which we have buried, and they use for destruction more than for positive ends). Its the dual nature of the technologies that make it very hard to bring them out, for example Tesla Coils/Scalar Wave, free energy, but can easily be turned into weapons of mass destruction and in the hands of thugs or local gangs, this could be a problem.

Humanity was meant to be alot more grown up than it is, ie. not to follow bad orders no matter what. Not to obey orders from on high, like to going to war, just never harming. We should know that absolutely everything is a test, that earth is a testing ground.

Humanity and Dolphins were always meant to be friends and help each other.

I love this story, these people have had a long term relationship, a friendship.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
"So long and thanks for all the fish!"

I love dolphins. When I was 12 I went to Sea World of Ohio before they shut down, and I was fortunate enough to be taken to the dolphin encounter behind the scenes area. I pet one of the star dolphins for 15 minutes. When I looked into her eyes, I realized that there was intelligence there. I think I connected with her on a spiritual level because I realized how unhappy she was and I could actually "feel" it like it was my own pain. That experience changed my life in profound ways.

These creatures should be protected in any way possible. They've helped us humans for centuries. I think it's about time to return the favor.

-TS
edit on 5-5-2012 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I hate to tell you but the dolphin are not "leading you" to fish. They are just utilizing the boat to travel without swimming. They are able to ride your bow waves just like a surfer. They now know because they are smart that they can use our boats to help them travel with little to no effort. They stay with you until they are ready to head another direction. It has nothing to do with fish.

Now for the captains reasoning telling you such a fish story. He like me knows people in general love dolphins and uses your admiration for the animals to fuel your enjoyment. I often tell grand stories about dolphin exploits to my fishing customers especially when women and children are on board. He was just fluffing your love for the animals. Believe me they have nothing to do with helping you when they are wild. Matter of fact any real captain will pick up and leave a spot when dolphins are present as they are known for being really really really good at stealing your catch.

I enjoy their company as anyone does but I don't let that blind me to the facts about them .And the fact remains they have no interest in leading you to fish. The dolphin featured in the OP are trained just like show dolphins with a reward system. They get fish for finding the fish in that case and are trained to do so, just like bomb finding dolphins used by the military. They are associate the bombs they find with the fish they are rewarded for finding them.

Even though I do not condone this mans activity it shows how charter boat captains are at ropes end in putting up with dolphins stealing their customers fish. While most captains leave the area this man had enough and snapped.

Link

top topics

join