It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 weapons ideas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The F-22 has represented a quantum lep in teh technologies of a fighter, yet it uses weapons that were developed for the past generattion of fighters, and does not necessarily take maximum advantage of all the advantages that it has. here are a list of ideas that I had, but feel free to add any of your own.

1) Longe Range Air-Air Missile(LRAAM, Super AMRAAM) Either use a current AMRAAM or new one developed with ram engines, aadd second stage rocket. At high altitude it would be launched into low space with the 1st stage aimed into a basket area where planes have been detected. Once in an optimum altitude, the regular AMRAAm part could seek out a target. With speed, stealth, and data transferred from the Raptor it could be like a moving super SAM covering vast distances.
2) High Kinetic Penetrator Bomb (HKPB) Usses the stage from LRAAM and also goes into suborbit, but usses fall from peak to build up kinetic energy to make it a penetrator bomb, either GPS or laser designated, and could use explosives or pure kinetics, wings could be added to extend the range but a warhead would have to be used.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
the thing is its only really designed to be a fighter, not really a A2G one that is until the FB22 comes out.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
the thing is its only really designed to be a fighter, not really a A2G one that is until the FB22 comes out.

While it is true that both the F-15 and F/A-22 were designed under the doctrine "not a pound for air to ground" the fact is that both the Eagle and the Raptor have inate abillities which make them both very good at strike missions. Think about it - what more could you want from a strike aircraft then a plane that is superstealthy, can supercruise, and has the best sensor equipment in the world? I believe that the new 250lbs small diameter bomb will be the bomb of choice for the first few years the Raptor is in service.

While most strike missions will likely be performed in the future by the JSF, the Raptor will handle the highly sensitive ones because it is a better aircraft. As far as the F/B-22, I wouldn't hold my breath on it - it's still a paper airplane, and with Iraq looming on the defence budget, it doesn't seem like this new aircraft would be a priority.

anyway, I thought you might enjoy this tidbit:

While these conversations, many of them informal, didn't touch on "even one-third of its classified capabilities," according to one pilot, they included the ability to hunt down and destroy cruise missiles well behind enemy lines, the introduction of a new missile that allows the head-on attack and destruction of stealthy enemy missiles, a tailless bomber derivative design, a planned electronic attack capability so powerful that it actually damages enemy electronics, and modifications that would allow the aircraft's electronic package to invade enemy computer networks.

While F/A-22 crews will train to attack cruise missiles with AIM-9s and 20-mm. cannon, the primary weapon will be the AIM-120C Amraam. A variant, the AIM-120C-6 (available by 2006), has been specialized with an improved seeker to optimize the explosive cone of destruction for small, slow targets in a head-on engagement with the F/A-22. The upgraded Amraam incorporates improved fuzing through a new quadrant target-detection device. One tactic for the F-22s will be to approach a wave of cruise missiles head-on, get in a first shot and then turn at Mach 1.7 supercruise speed for a second and third shot from behind.

Source

So, it seems as if new weapons are in development, even if it is only a modified AMRAAM.

Personally, I would like to see some kind of compact extended range standoff missle akin to the Phoenix missle system. Another toy they could add is a solid state laser like the one planed for the JSF.

RAB

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Hypersonic a2a missiles no real need for a warhead.

Also head the the RAF dropped a load of laser and gps guided bombs in IRAQ during gw2. I've head of cost cutting but that taking the PISS

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAB
Hypersonic a2a missiles no real need for a warhead.

yeah imagine the impact, a warhead would probably just make sure the wreckage is not there.

Also head the the RAF dropped a load of laser and gps guided bombs in IRAQ during gw2. I've head of cost cutting but that taking the PISS

the RAF and USAF dropped bombs the laser and GPS guided bombs are standard issue.
im not sure what you mean?

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by roniii259
The F-22 has represented a quantum lep in teh technologies of a fighter, yet it uses weapons that were developed for the past generattion of fighters, and does not necessarily take maximum advantage of all the advantages that it has. here are a list of ideas that I had, but feel free to add any of your own.

1) Longe Range Air-Air Missile(LRAAM, Super AMRAAM) Either use a current AMRAAM or new one developed with ram engines, aadd second stage rocket. At high altitude it would be launched into low space with the 1st stage aimed into a basket area where planes have been detected. Once in an optimum altitude, the regular AMRAAm part could seek out a target. With speed, stealth, and data transferred from the Raptor it could be like a moving super SAM covering vast distances.
2) High Kinetic Penetrator Bomb (HKPB) Usses the stage from LRAAM and also goes into suborbit, but usses fall from peak to build up kinetic energy to make it a penetrator bomb, either GPS or laser designated, and could use explosives or pure kinetics, wings could be added to extend the range but a warhead would have to be used.

Interesting ideas, both, but if you're going to create missiles like that with such massive range why not just fire them from a C-130? These seem more suited to ASAT applications.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I always wanted to see stealth A2A missile with thrust vectoring. A missile that would use a combination of IR and Radar to get close to its target but then when it got into visual range it would use a visual targeting system to track and hit the target. This might be able to do away with all counter measures a plane could throw at a incoming missile. If the missile was looking for the image of a M-29 I dont think a flare or chaff counter measure would do much good.

So I would like to see

Stealth
Thrust vectoring
IR, Radar, Image tracking

all on the same missile though I fear the cost would make it not practical

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Said it many a time before, and I'll say it again:

Missiles are history.

It's a waste of time and money to fire missiles at something that will simply shoot them down and then YOU. The age of the the Directed Energy Weapon is here. Thus I think the F/A-22 is fine for the next two decades til laser-equipped fighters become commonplace... but an F-22 can be shot down by a remote controlled Cessna with a bolt on laser cannon and plugging into a mass detector system.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The F-22 will be using the AIM-120D AMRAAM, which will be in service by 2008, and has a range of about 110km, and a 70 click no-escape zone.

RAB

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
SORRY guys

The thing that in my post gps guided bricks ie concerte blocks sorry for the messup!

E_T

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lampyridae
It's a waste of time and money to fire missiles at something that will simply shoot them down and then YOU. The age of the the Directed Energy Weapon is here.

Hitting to fast moving objects will be very difficult, especially when gun platform itself moves fast!
And for longer ranges you'll need very high powered power hungry laser... whose sizes are big. (ABL is built to 747 airframe)

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Interesting ideas, both, but if you're going to create missiles like that with such massive range why not just fire them from a C-130? These seem more suited to ASAT applications.

a C-130 cant reach as high into the atmosphere so the weight and cost will go up. Also with supercruise the raptor could cover a wider area, and orbit undetected by longe-range radars.

Said it many a time before, and I'll say it again:

Missiles are history.

It's a waste of time and money to fire missiles at something that will simply shoot them down and then YOU. The age of the the Directed Energy Weapon is here. Thus I think the F/A-22 is fine for the next two decades til laser-equipped fighters become commonplace... but an F-22 can be shot down by a remote controlled Cessna with a bolt on laser cannon and plugging into a mass detector system.

that is assuming that the F-22 is identified before the Cessna is shot down right? Anyways while lasers can easily disrupt a volatile missile destroying a plane is harder. Also a laser produces allot of heat so an ir spike occurs, and it takes awhile to recharge. Missiles will still be used for about 50 more years, but a missile or bomb equiped with a plasma yield weapon may prolong this for an infinent period.

E_T

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

1) Longe Range Air-Air Missile(LRAAM, Super AMRAAM) Either use a current AMRAAM or new one developed with ram engines, aadd second stage rocket. At high altitude it would be launched into low space with the 1st stage aimed into a basket area where planes have been detected. Once in an optimum altitude, the regular AMRAAm part could seek out a target.

1: They have thought about that kind of concept: ("couple" years back)

After launch, the AAM-N-10 would be boosted to Mach 3.5 by a large solid-propellant rocket booster with folding fins, and after a glide period, the long-burning solid-fueled sustainer motor would propel the missile toward its target at a speed of Mach 4.5. With the mid-course command guidance, the AAM-N-10 could fly an energy-efficient "lofted" trajectory, and maximum aerodynamic range was more than 300 km (160 nm). When the Eagle would be close enough to the target, the missile's own radar (developed from the AN/DPN-53 of the IM-99/CIM-10 Bomarc) would take over and guide the weapon to the interception point.
www.designation-systems.net...
With current tech it could be made propably much smaller. (but I wonder could it be fitted to internal weapon bay)

BTW, ramjets aren't new. Bomarc used it in late fifties.

And they're developing hypersonic land attack missiles.
At those speeds you don't need any explosives to destroy small point targets like tanks, devices... I think it's that in fact dense and heavy penetrator can be more effective than chemical explosive after certain speed.
The hypersonic weapon's immense destructive power results from kinetic energy. An object striking a target at Mach 8 will generate 64 times the force of an object of the same mass striking the target at Mach 1. This phenomenon makes hypersonic weapons well suited to attacking hardened or deeply buried targets...

Althought heating might be a little problem...

Aerothermic heating, caused by the friction of air passing the weapon body, is one area of intensive research. At Mach 4, as the hypersonic weapon passes through the lower atmosphere in the terminal phase of its flight, its surface reaches about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. This level is within the tolerance range of new titanium and inconel materials. At Mach 6, however, the surface temperatures exceed 2800 F and at Mach 8 over 5600 F; skin materials, as well as internal temperature control, become a much larger issue.
www.globalsecurity.org...
www.globalsecurity.org...

Originally posted by Hockeyguy567
The F-22 will be using the AIM-120D AMRAAM, which will be in service by 2008, and has a range of about 110km, and a 70 click no-escape zone.
We're now talking real long range missiles which Phoenix was.

Now they would need this one:
www.designation-systems.net...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I always wanted to see stealth A2A missile with thrust vectoring. A missile that would use a combination of IR and Radar to get close to its target but then when it got into visual range it would use a visual targeting system to track and hit the target. This might be able to do away with all counter measures a plane could throw at a incoming missile. If the missile was looking for the image of a M-29 I dont think a flare or chaff would help.

Prepare yourself it's coming
. Well not medium range yet, but Israelis are already using Python 4 for short ranges. It has IR guidance, but has also small camera and when is the misille fired, the camera takes the pics of the target and when it's closing the misille compares the stored image with the real one
. Flares have no chance.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
yes but what about any ordinances for the f-22

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i was wondering, why not put a ladar on the F-22? My only concen would be what are the capabilities, and is it easy to adopt while not easily detectable. I read about them in Dale Brown books but I would like to know if it is practable in real life.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Didnt they approve the ABL airframes and then find out they had an operational problem deploying the lasers? The 747s are still waiting for its weapons last I heard.

Until they fix that problem I dont think we will see laser armed Cessnas any time soon (er than the late 21st C).

Some of the LR BVRs you have been talking about. Wouldnt a booster stage make them to give them the range make them to big for internal carriage?

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

i was wondering, why not put a ladar on the F-22? My only concen would be what are the capabilities, and is it easy to adopt while not easily detectable. I read about them in Dale Brown books but I would like to know if it is practable in real life.

It has short range and is limited by weather. It is more suitable for helicopters or recon drones.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by craigandrew
Didnt they approve the ABL airframes and then find out they had an operational problem deploying the lasers? The 747s are still waiting for its weapons last I heard.

Until they fix that problem I dont think we will see laser armed Cessnas any time soon (er than the late 21st C).

Some of the LR BVRs you have been talking about. Wouldnt a booster stage make them to give them the range make them to big for internal carriage?

It depends on how they are made, im sure if they were they would definintely make it fit in the internal bay, maybe since it would go so high the first stage wouldnt need so much fuel so the AMMRAM could be shortened.
Or they could just build a new missile with the technology and experience gained from the AMRAAM program.

I was wondering will the defense laser being built for the JSF be able to be also used on the F-22, because that would make it very dominate.

top topics

join