It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Entertainment Stars be Shamed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Disappointing, isn't it, that so few entertainers who consider themselves socially conscious haven't stepped up to join the protest movements, or at very least express some solidarity with them?

The protests back in the 60s continue to be glorified in the music industry, and many modern musicians seem to consider themselves champions of the fight for social justice, anti-war, etc. Many of them are actually quite intelligent and they can't all be Illuminati mind control slaves. Most all supported Obama in 08, in keeping with the weird knee-jerk support of Democrat candidates and the blind belief that there really is some difference between the two parties. But where are they now? The war atrocities and government abuses are now far worse than those in the 60s - so where the hell are they? Why are they not being challenged to step up ? Has anyone compiled a list of rock stars who supported Obama in 08 and challenged them to either admit they were wrong or be condemned as hypocrites if they support him again or remain silent now?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by seaside sky
Disappointing, isn't it, that so few entertainers who consider themselves socially conscious haven't stepped up to join the protest movements, or at very least express some solidarity with them?

The protests back in the 60s continue to be glorified in the music industry, and many modern musicians seem to consider themselves champions of the fight for social justice, anti-war, etc. Many of them are actually quite intelligent and they can't all be Illuminati mind control slaves. Most all supported Obama in 08, in keeping with the weird knee-jerk support of Democrat candidates and the blind belief that there really is some difference between the two parties. But where are they now? The war atrocities and government abuses are now far worse than those in the 60s - so where the hell are they? Why are they not being challenged to step up ? Has anyone compiled a list of rock stars who supported Obama in 08 and challenged them to either admit they were wrong or be condemned as hypocrites if they support him again or remain silent now?

remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks? That's right, the mainstream outlets immediately stopped selling their music. Lessons learned.

I think the outcry Stephen Kings just made is a positive thing

Too bad Frank Zappa died. The stuff that happens now what a theme he dealt with in his 88 tour (even helping people to register to vote).

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

Exactly, well said.

With big retailers and media owned by a small group of people, it is their consciousness that will determine what message gets out more so than main stream celebrities.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

When Kim Kardashian, lovely Obama supporter that she is, can become one of the most famous and fawned over "celebrity" in the world - because she got urinated on in a sex video - I would say no, they can not be shamed. Some of them seem to revel in their wanton excess while people starve. I wonder if Paris "Vote or Die" Hilton (who didn't vote
) would stop buying shoes for a month and donate the money she saved to buy a poor person a home. Somehow, I kinda doubt it.

Sickening isn't it?

I once interviewed Arlo Guthrie. I asked him what it was like to be one of the leaders of the protest movement in the 60's. He said, "Brother, I was just proud to be part of a movement that didn't need any leaders."

Now that's class.

edit on 5/2/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Are you kidding me?

These days all Hollywood and Music Industryentertainers are bought and paid for and do not dare make a statement that has not been written for them! Or they will loose everything and well it is good to be rich...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Thanks for the replies.

Of course we can't expect anything from the vapid "entertainers" (if we can even call them that). They can't even be called hypocrites as they never espoused any intelligent opinions in the first place.

The ones I meant were the musicians and entertainers who do actually seem to have a genuine social conscience, intelligence, and at least pretend to give the impression of being rebels against the system. Like Zappa and Guthrie, as has been noted here. Possibly if Joe Strummer were still alive he'd be on the right side of this too.

I'd like to keep the thread focused on those who by all rights ought to be stepping up but aren't, and why they have not been challenged to do so.

If they are afraid of the Dixie Chick consequences, then they ought to be publicly condemned for being cowards. If their record companies were to punish them for expressing a political opinion, they could certainly afford to defend themselves and their fans would not desert them. I expect a bit of their silence is due to the fact that they are probably living in an echo chamber, surrounded by sycophants to the system. But they ought to be waking up a bit by now- stick their heads outside and catch which way the wind's blowing?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

At least one has seen the light.

The song details how he's struggling against the "demons" that had controlled his life and career. Some people believe the "demons" he's talking about are literal.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I saw this the other day ! I do like Eminem. Do you think there will be more breaking with the herd in the future?

Have any serious activists tried to organize concerts to protest any or all the many appalling things going on in this country? What responses did they get from popular music artists? In interviews, they always get softball questions- I wonder how they react when they are genuinely challenged. Perhaps some of the Occupy activists here at ATS have had some experiences they could share?

Why should we even care about this? Well, these recording stars do have the ability to raise public awareness, rally support for a cause and legitimize it, raise money and provide the songs that really get into the collective unconscious.

I'd like to see someone compile a list of artists who have prided themselves on social righteousness yet support political candidates who have violated those values. Then let's start a grassroots letter writing and boycott campaign against them until they wake the hell up.

new topics

top topics

join