It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I put my mobile up to my telescope and got this

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

yeah mate they where taken a couple of weeks apart, i want to try get a quater moon or thumbnail moon that's
just what i call them.....

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Another use for a mobile phone!

If you ever find yourself starving and in need ot some KFC. You can take ypur mobile phone to Cash Converters. If you have the charger and it's not locked to a network, you can get $15 for one.

you can get a good $4 peice deal for that, with fries, coke and maybe even some sauce for the chips/fries.

Chilli is my fave. You dont get charged for that,

Mobile phones, saving lives around the world!!!!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by starfighter1978

That's what I thought. Yeah, we always called it a fingernail moon. Nice pics by the way. Great resolution.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by starfighter1978
reply to post by Grifter81

for some reason i can't get good focus on saturn or jupiter maybe i'll try to use the extra zoom on my phone
but the more zoom i use the blurry it gets....

Maybe because they are further away and will look smaller. The reason why it gets more blurry the more you zoom is because your phones camera will have very little (most likely none at all) optical zoom, so the further you zoom in the more pixels the image processor is adding to the image under digital zoom.

A cheap pocket camera with a decent optical zoom may produce good results. These are great pics though, very nice...
edit on 2/5/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Those are some cool pictures. Can you tell us what model of phone and/or telescope you used? My phone likes to take pictures and then randomly delete them.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfighter1978
reply to post by Grifter81

for some reason i can't get good focus on saturn or jupiter maybe i'll try to use the extra zoom on my phone
but the more zoom i use the blurry it gets....

Problem is lack of light. It just wont be bright enough for camera to get a focus and zooming in will probably just make it even worse. You might want to try manual focus if you can and see if that helps.
Even then I don't think it will be good enough to make out things like rings of saturn.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

He's got the phone camera to his telescope eyepiece to take the shots so he should get whatever is in view of the telescope lens. Whatever light is gathered by the scope will be directed into the lens of the phone.

You can pick out the rings of saturn with a modest pair of binoculars so I don't see him having any trouble resolving them if he gets his focussing correct.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So that's Nibiru, right?

cool pictures. wouldn't think a phone would be able to do that.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

yes, I like them
thanks for sharing

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Phones are for calling home, have you never seen E.T. ?
He never said "E.T. Photograph Hooommee."

now you spoiled it! he was going to say that in the sequel

you made me smile

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Awesome pics!
Nice of you share them with us. They came out so clear, the craters are very detailed too..
Thanks for "Mooning" us!! LoL

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Just one small example of how insignificant we are...and yet how beautiful everything outside of our tiny world really is.

Wonderful pictures, OP. Thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What size scope? I really should post some of mine on here.

Hmm maybe I will use my iTouch with an extender next time might work better than my T2i and T-adapter mount on my scope. At least for some close ups.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
reply to post by juleol

He's got the phone camera to his telescope eyepiece to take the shots so he should get whatever is in view of the telescope lens. Whatever light is gathered by the scope will be directed into the lens of the phone.

You can pick out the rings of saturn with a modest pair of binoculars so I don't see him having any trouble resolving them if he gets his focussing correct.

If his camera phone even supports manual focus that is. Another issue is shutter times which are most likely automatic on his phone. With low light levels it will probably use very long shutter times which means that slight movement will just blur and wash out all the details.
So personally I don't think it will work unless he mounts the camera to the eyepiece.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

my phone is a motorolla xt910 and the tellescope is just a $100 scope from the local gadget shop
where can you get these mounts people are talking about because it would come in very handy

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Wow soooo cool!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Absolutely awesome OP

Look forward to more stuff from you and your phone

Great work

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Kinda makes me want to get rid of the evil iPhone and pick up your XT910...

My iphone pics are always so blurry.

Nice job!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

You have a point there. I have never come across a phone with manual focus, which is very useful in shots like these. You can on some models alter shutter speeds but only to a few preset values or modes ie day mode, sport mode, night mode etc.

If mounted to the lens the pics would be slightly better but he would lose the satisfying experimentation factor if you know what I mean. And the results with the moon speak for themselves.

ETA they camera on the XT910 (new razr) is an 8mp auto focus. Its capable of touch focus which is actually pretty good. I have it on my own phone. It point focusses to wherever you touch on the screen. It still struggles with stars however. Stumped by points of light

XT910 specs: www.gsmarena.com...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Kinda makes me want to get rid of the evil iPhone and pick up your XT910...

My iphone pics are always so blurry.

Nice job!

Grab yourself a galaxy nexus. Its the best phone I've ever owned, and I've had em all.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join