It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apocalypse soon? 9% of Canadians say the world will end in 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Seems a lot of people think the end is indeed, nigh.

One in 10 people around the world, including 9% of Canadians, may be readying their bucket list this year, saying they believe the “end of the world” will come at the end of 2012, according to the results of a global survey.

China topped the list of end-times believers at 20%, followed by several countries at 13%, including Mexico, Turkey and the U.S., according to the findings of an Ipsos Reid survey conducted on behalf of the Reuters news agency and released Tuesday. Canada ranked 15th of 21 countries surveyed.

Turkey and the U.S. (22%) reported the highest numbers of those who agreed that the world is coming to an end during their lifetime, followed by South Africa (21%), Argentina, Mexico and Indonesia (19%).

Well, that's a lot of people !
I believe we are living in extraordinary times but to believe the end is this near, not sure.
Only God knows.

Apocalypse soon? 9% of Canadians say the world will end in 2012
edit on 2-5-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
This just goes to show you the ignorance some people have.

I wonder how many of those people watched 2012.

Now I wonder how many of those people watched 2012 and know anything at all about the mayans

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm Canadian and I can surely say that the issue of the World ending is absolutely, positively, guaranteed to be, without a doubt, 100%...maybe.

As it is every year. And I'm pretty sure of these facts.

Peace

edit on 2-5-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut

Now I wonder how many of those people watched 2012 and know anything at all about the mayans

Just wondering how you can be so sure as to say that those that believe this are ignorant? You must have some proof that you haven't provided in your post.

Please enlighten us.

Thanks,

Peace

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Count me as part of that 9%. I thought it was going to be a slow end, now I'm thinking it's going to be quick. The only reason I believe is because of my fundamental belief that there is a lost knowledge out there and put simply that the Mayans knew something we don't. We'll just have to wait and see...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I wonder what the percentage break-up would have been if the survey was done in;

etc...

I'd be willing to bet that in 1999 the percentages would have been much higher.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Considering everything that's going on in the world, can you blame them?

Also, the fact that 20% of Chinese believe this really makes my eyebrow raise. I mean, these aren't exactly people known for your typical religious end of the world hysteria or paying attention to other culture's myths. So what, exactly, have they been told?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It is kinda crazy how many people actually believe this...

I attended a old highschool friend's, father's birthday. During which... his father gave a speech and literally said..

"I appreciate you all being here, and it saddens me to say that this will be the last of my birthdays that we will all enjoy together"

In later conversations with his family members, I found out that he researches heavily into ancient civilizations, prophecy, and all sorts of stuff. When I asked him what he meant, he simply said..."you know what I'm talking about, why play stupid", apparently he had talked with his son whom I've spoken with extensively about prophecy and the coming 2012 events.

I literally spent 20 minutes reassuring him that it's not the end, and that we as a humanity have a decision to make... a very tough decision. The conversation went into cycles of time, the big wheel in the sky and all sorts of relating topics.

I saw him recently and he made mention that he now feels the exact same way as me. That this is not about the end, it is about a choice between 2 paths.

If you want to understand, or at least know about the 2 paths... here is a link to a thread I started the other day. It didn't get much of an audience or participation, for I didn't really go into great depth as to why I created... but regardless, here it is...

Important Riddle for the World to Ponder: Riddle - The Two Guards
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It did get comments such as:

Yikes, you may have just stumbled upon something.

and...

This is a great riddle, one I would never have been able to figure out on my own, but I've heard this one before. Though I kind of wish I hadn't. The way you put it is genius, and I would've considered myself lucky to have first come across it here in your thread!

Sorry to 'pimp my thread', but it applies...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Ya and 78%of Canadians sled to work every morning behind 12 husky's

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
What percentage of those 9% have ATS accounts?

Hosers.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut

I watched 2012, but I never got to see the poll for this survey....and I don't think it would be an accurate survey either!

So that means 9% of Canadians that were polled believe their life is over. That means 91% think their counterpart voters are full of sh*t...hahaha

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Considering everything that's going on in the world, can you blame them?

Also, the fact that 20% of Chinese believe this really makes my eyebrow raise. I mean, these aren't exactly people known for your typical religious end of the world hysteria or paying attention to other culture's myths. So what, exactly, have they been told?

I think they're just living in the worlds most populated nation, but the density is not equal; They're very crowded to the coasts and honestly I'm thinking 20% are just wishing it would come soon since they're basically breathing each others nose hairs.

Try not to let this be a racist thing.

I'm willing to edge onto Canada's low number of those who expect it being caused at least a little bit by the fact we have more elbow room, we're not always in each others face and Canada has a reputation for being polite, not only because we have so much leg room.

Any other nation is almost more populous than us for sure and honestly I'm boldly going to state that there is likely to be more people who think the world is ending soon in the urban areas rather than the rural; the urban grind kinda makes it seem like any day now, any day...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel
Any other nation is almost more populous than us for sure and honestly I'm boldly going to state that there is likely to be more people who think the world is ending soon in the urban areas rather than the rural; the urban grind kinda makes it seem like any day now, any day...

Cow tippers probably don't have internet to read about the 2012 hype anyways...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

I also wonder how many of them look like Zach Galifianakis lol!

I bet they filmed this movie in 3 B eh!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColAngus
What percentage of those 9% have ATS accounts?

Hosers.

All of them...

Des

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
What exactly does 9% of Canadian popular opinion have to do with the possibility of an apocalypse?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

Here is another article regarding this topic, one in seven people worldwide believe the world will end in their lifetime.

Reuters

Countries included:

Ipsos questioned people in China, Turkey, Russia, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, the United States, Argentina, Hungary, Poland, Sweden, France, Spain, Belgium, Canada, Australia, Italy, South Africa, Great Britain, Indonesia, Germany.

If you edit your original post to include this information (if you even still can) I don't mind a bit. Interesting tie in articles!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yeah, but up until a few years ago the age of sexual consent in Canada was 14, and one of our Prime Ministers choked somebody in public. Do you really think you should be taking us seriously at all? lol.
edit on 3-5-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wow, 9% of Canada......

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Great find. I am a bit surprised at the numbers. I know of no one that believes in 2012 or talks about it.

Look at the countries at the bottom of the list. These are the countries with saner crowds.
Germany 4%
Indonesia 4%
Britain 7%
South Africa 7%
Italy 7%

This survey was done by a company called Ipsos that was hired by Reuters. I am willing to bet that the survey was done by phone.

Here is a link to a press release by the polling firm.
www.ipsos-na.com...

<<   2 >>

join