It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Owner of Harley-Davidson That Washed Ashore in British Columbia Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

The Japanese owner of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle that was washed out to sea in the tsunami last April says its discovery on a remote beach on the West Coast of B.C. last week is a miracle.

The owner Ikuo Yokoyama, a 29-year-old resident of the town of Yamamoto, in Miyagi Prefecture, was tracked down by a Harley-Davidson representative in Japan who saw the story, first reported by CBC News, in the media.

After it was washed out to sea in the tsunami in the makeshift storage container, the motorcycle apparently floated 5,000 kilometres across the Pacific Ocean

It was discovered by Peter Mark, a resident of B.C.'s Haida Gwaii, while he was exploring a remote beach on Graham Island.

The bike was rusty, particularly on the wheels and handlebars, but the logo on the fuel tank was unmistakable.

The motorcycle's licence plate showed it was registered in Miyagi Prefecture, and writing on the container matched photos of a commonly used Japanese moving van. Mark also found a few golf clubs, tools and camping equipment in the container.

Miyagi Prefecture, on Japan's east coast was the worst hit part of the country in the tsunami, with more than 11,000 people dead and missing.

Experts estimate more than 1.5 million tonnes of tsunami debris was swept out to sea and is now drifting across the Pacific Ocean toward Canada's West Coast.

The Kuroshio ocean current runs in an almost direct path from Japan's east coast over to North America, passing right by the islands of Haida Gwaii.

Until now only bottles, buoys and other small items have washed ashore, but one unmanned fishing boat was sunk by the U.S. coast guard before it reached the West Coast of Alaska last month.

Source

It's really quite amazing that over a year at sea that something like a motorcycle could still be relatively intact. It's also really interesting that it's taken this long for things to start washing up on shore (I suppose the first large reminder of the tsunami was a few weeks ago when that Japanese fishing vessel found its way to the coastal waters of Alaska). One can only imagine what is heading for the Pacific coastline. I'm sure there will be similar stories surfacing over the next few weeks, months and perhaps even years, and unfortunately, not all of them will be bright and sunny.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Harley-Davidson could get massive media exposure if they gave the man a new Harley to replace the old one.
Could be a PR boom

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It's too bad the fella that found it didn't have a Geiger counter. He could have single handedly verified or debunked the radiation debate with all the tsunami debris.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Who knew your Hog could be used as a floatation device?

They ought to induct this bike into the HD Museum, with the owner's permission of course.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

According to this, it's going to be sent back to him.

The Fuji report said the motorcycle would be shipped back to Japan, and that the shop that sold it to Yokoyama would help with paperwork and storage.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I ride my own 1200 custom sport, 97#... When you ride...a lot like I do that bike becomes a part of your soul. When I've been riding all day it's like the bike takes over and takes me home.

The brothers and sisters I've met along the way, it's like we've known each other forever. Over oceans I've met family. Especially those bald hunks from Austria ....;0). I had a race car driver that rode and spotted me stuck w/ a battery cable needing replaced. He went and got the cable and his tools, fixed it and wanted nothing!!!!!! That hardly ever happens to me. Most people that I meet seems they want more then the service or situation warrants. This guy took time out of his day to help me. That's part of the brotherhood. We take care of each other whether we know each other personally or not.

My bike doesn't take a lot of money from me as long as I take care of her.

It's nice to see bike and owner finding each other again. Every year I take the tarp off my bike the feeling of starting her up...it's something you cannot explain. I can't imagine the emotions of this guy once he sits on her. I'm sure she won't start "......right away, but just laying his hands on her again. They both have been threw a lot!

Side note: if your not handi-cap...you have absolutely no business trailering your bike to Sturgis or any other rally and do NOT get me started on the bus's w/ the trailers. I don't care what type of bike you own....JUST RIDE IT! lol

Live long
Ride long
Live Free
Die Free
Ride bikes
Not trailers lol

And remember....always look out for us ass-holes...it hurts when you hit us

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Good report!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Haha,probably the best place for a harley!

Damn boat anchors

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

top topics

join