It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. Town Could Start Issuing Tickets for Cursing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

MIDDLEBORO, Mass. (WGGB) – It’s a problem that has become more pervasive in cities and towns across America: cursing. Now, one Massachusetts town wants to start levying a fine in an effort to cut down on the practice.

In the eastern Massachusetts town of Middleboro, there is a bylaw currently on the books, but rarely enforced.

According to WBZ-TV, Middleboro police chief Bruce Gates is proposing a system that would have officers issue $20 tickets to profanity-laced perpetrators.

www.wggb.com...

So this is a priority for Massachusetts? Ticketing potty mouth citizens?

I lived 10 miles from Middleboro, MA. and I don't remember anything out of the ordinary there. A lot of pretentious yuppies live in Middleboro, so I guess I can see where this is coming from.

One thing about Mass. I can say is, don't live there. It's so expensive, and the police will pull you over for almost anything, revenue rangers I call them. I had to move to NH from MA because the costs of living combined with the police destroying my driving record forced me to move.

My "mandatory" auto insurance in MA. went from $400/yr to $3600/year, for a crappy $500 car, the jump in price took place over the course of 1 very active traffic stopping/ticketing year. A lot of people I know there have all lost their license at least once, I lost mine for 2 months because of ridiculous ticketing for things like 5mph over the limit, not making complete stops at signs, and for being on a cell phone, with ear pieces, while driving.

They really do sit around thinking up new ways to give the citizens there fines.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
That is absurd. Glad I don't live there!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
So speech isn't free, certain speech is destined to cost you money?

What absurdity is this?

I can drop an F bomb, but only at the cost of their fine? This will never fly.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It is also illegal to have facial hair without express written consent from the governor.

A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.

At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.

Honestly. Mass Blue laws. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The biggest problem is that they are selectively enforced and breed contempt, and rightly so.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Residents will vote on the proposal at Town Meeting in June.

The "residents" will surely vote in favor for this there, as Middleboro is a healthy middle class town still. There are bad areas in Middleboro, but those people are too busy working 80hr weeks and probably will be too tired to vote against this.

Can of worms these things are.
It starts at $20, then goes to $100, then incarceration with a fine.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Gotta find new ways to rob the pockets of hard working people. So many laws, so little money.

It's so obvious that this has nothing to do with any moral fiber or decency but is actually just another to take $20 at a time from those who can't afford to eat, pay for their houses, heat, electricity...

I suggest standing on a street corner and screaming %$I& YOU! at the top of your lungs. Then let it go all the way to the courts, newspapers, blogs etc.

The only way to fight this crap is to put it out there for everyone to see how ridiculous it all is.

Peace

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

...Time to bust out all those family friendly expletives. Cheese n Rice! Fudge! Mothertrucker! Shiver me Timbers!

Speaking of... Holy crap. (Is that a swear?)
I didn't think Mass could become even more... backwards than when I was there. At least in Illinois you just have absurd red light tickets and astronomical parking meter fees. The cops here are bigger perpetrators of the swear word than the citizens.
edit on 5/2/2012 by HolographicPrincipal because: clarification

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by HolographicPrincipal

The cops are the biggest perpetrators of the swear word

u know the law does work both way,,

yes officer you said the f word,,write the ticket,,

people lol,,

ya gonna be hard too ,,a voice copy too,,,,,sorry,,
lol

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by HolographicPrincipal

No possible way a cop would ever, EVER ticket himself if he was cursing and this passed. They do what ever they want. I know a cop that as soon as he got his new car he took me for a ride and was doing 105 down the highway near here. Really bullcrap (Can't curse here lol) when you think about how many people he ticketed that day. They have too much power and it's gone to their heads. Time to repeal a million laws. (Still would have another billion to go.)

new topics

top topics

join