It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple in Ontario Canada will have newborn taken away because they both have Cerebral Palsy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This is a travesty and absolutely shocking to me and should be to every person who has any shred of decency or morality in them!

From CBC:
"A disabled couple in Mississauga are fighting to keep their newborn son after social workers threatened to take the boy away unless he receives round-the-clock care from an able-bodied attendant.

Maricyl Palisoc and her partner, Charles Wilton, are the parents of a healthy month-old baby boy named William. Both parents have cerebral palsy, a disorder that limits their motor skills and slurs their speech, but has no effect on their cognitive abilities."

www.cbc.ca...

This couple is absolutely capable of caring for their infant yet authorities think otherwise.

What is next? Take all the babies away from Non-Aryans, Jews and Gypsies????
edit on 1-5-2012 by krazykanuk because: formatting

edit on 1-5-2012 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by krazykanuk

while its sad that they are loosing their child but i fail to see the relevance to gypsies and Aryans in relationship to this case? admittedly i know very little about cerebral paulsy but i do know some people with disabilities are prevented from adopting children or caring for their own if they have been ruled mentaly incompetent but to relate some one with a mental disability to next only white people will be allowed to have children is a bit extreme.think if they can prove themselves competent or find a willing family member that might solve their problems or hire a nanny(2000$ is apparently the fee they have been paying for assistance) and as it seems that they haven't quite lost custody yet but are in the process of defending themselves it has yet to result in the removal of their child.
edit on 1-5-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
bump to see if any one more intelegent them me can explain this better as i feel the op deserves at least a look at his thread in hopes that we can figure out if these peoples rights are indeed being violated any mental health experts on here im fairly uninformed on cp more knowelgable with bipolar and depression but not cp at all
edit on 2-5-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Thanks for the bump...

Here is yesterday's video that explains more about CP and the couple's situation....
Disabled parents fight for baby

I realize my remark was a tad extreme, but my intended question was "where is the government going with this???" The news report claims the couple have some physical limitation but that they are capable of providing the necessities to their baby. What bothers me is that this seems to set a precedent and smacks of eugenics! ( do we not remember what happened in Nazi Germany?...they eventually came for everyone that was "not perfect")
I mean, the government does not go around taking babies just because someone is somehow limited physically. Blind, deaf and otherwise challenged people have successfully raised kids since the beginning of time and continue to do so with no government intervention. Where do they draw the line at how much or what kind of a disability one can have before they remove children from the obvious best people to care for them?
Did you notice that the couple is interracial.....Hmmmm?!

edit on 3-5-2012 by krazykanuk because: formatting error

edit on 3-5-2012 by krazykanuk because: tired n makin mistakes

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Update!
This is a win for the people!!!!

There has been a lot of uproar about this in Canada and it looks like the media attention paid off. Thank goodness the CAS has decided to let the couple keep their baby and will not be pursuing them in the future. I wish this new family all the best in the future!
www.cbc.ca...
edit on 4-5-2012 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Wow. I find this very frightening. I'm glad that public outcry did some good in this case but just because someone is handicapped it shouldn't alert CPS. Cerebral Palsy is not a mental disease. It has no effects on cognitive abilities. Truly sad. I'm sure there are cases of actual abuse they could be more worried about.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by krazykanuk

I mean, the government does not go around taking babies just because someone is somehow limited physically. Blind, deaf and otherwise challenged people have successfully raised kids since the beginning of time and continue to do so with no government intervention.

You're right that disabled people have been successfully raising kids forever, but it's not true that governments taking away kids from them is a new thing. Actually, it's new that governments are actually listening to input from advocacy groups as in this case and deciding to let the kids stay. The fact is, a lot of people with disabilities like CP and MS and other degenerative diseases have purposefully not had kids because they knew they would be taken away. I'm all for their right to keep their kids, but I do think the discussion of whether a person with a *degenerative* motor skills disease will be able to care for their kids *forever*. Obviously, there will come a point that the parents can no longer care for even themselves, and at that point their kid(s) will need to be cared for. They hopefully have a plan for that, but it's worth discussing. If this kid is going to be suddenly orphaned at 10 with no caregivers in place, their chances of being adopted are next to nothing. If the kid is placed as an infant, it has huge chances of being adopted. I'm not saying that means it should be taken away, I'm just saying as parents, we're supposed to think about the future and try to plan the best we can for our kids' well being. Perhaps this is not, actually, the best situation for their kid, so I'm glad the question was raised and that they seem to have enough of a plan that everyone feels the situation has now been resolved. I'm glad they won; I hope for everyone's sake that win is what's best.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
If you ask me, this is a violation of parental rights. No parent should have their child(ren) taken from them just because they are disabled. While I do think they should have someone help them out if their disability is as severe as it seems in the article, I don't think they should have their child taken from them. CPS has been destroying families and taking children from the home without legitimate reasons for years now, and I'd hate to see it happen to yet another family. I know people this has happened to, unfortunately.

new topics

top topics

join