It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May Day Sweeping Headlines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Lots of stories today.

maybe not so "grass rooted" ?

Local Los Angeles talk radio station KFI reported that the SEIU May Day protest snarling traffic around Los Angeles International airport was Astroturfed. The vast majority of protesters at LAX were not the grassroots employees protesting working conditions but were, in fact, bused in by union organizers. But that was enough to delay flights by almost an hour.

SEIU Astroturfs May Day Protest to Disrupt LAX

A bridge too far ?

One of the leaders of the Occupy Cleveland movement, Brandon Baxter, is one of those arrested for today's terrorist plot to bomb a bridge in Cleveland. Occupier Brandon Baxter appears to have gotten the guidance he sought.

OCCUPIED — Occupy Cleveland organizer Brandon Baxter gets some shade in the Occupy Cleveland tent in downtown Cleveland on March 21, 2012. Baxter, one of the few remaining members of Occupy Cleveland’s physical presence downtown, said the group has seen a sharp decline in numbers since last October because of increasing disorganization. “We need guidance,” he said.

Occupy Leaders Apparently Involved in Bridge Bomb Plot, Suspects Named

"Wildcat" strikers

May Day 2012.
1pm: "Wildcat" strikers assemble at Sara Roosevelt Park in the Lower East Side (NYC). Around 1:30pm, a march begins, led by a Black Bloc, including hundreds of OWS protestors and student strikers, but the NYPD intervene almost immediately, pulling protestors out of the crowd, tackling them to the ground. A pile-up ensued. Meanwhile, hundreds of marchers headed south onto the streets of the Lower East Side while police were distracted with the initial arrests.

Tear Gas Explosion Occupy Oakland May Day

Sleepless in Seattle ?

May Day protests and traffic jams quickly turned to vandalism and chaos in downtown Seattle Tuesday, resulting in eight arrests, late school buses and an emergency order from Mayor Mike McGinn.

After vandals smashed cars and business storefronts, McGinn signed an order allowing police to confiscate such potential weapons as sticks. He worried that vandalism could continue during marches scheduled for late afternoon, and that was echoed by Police Chief John Diaz, who had warned city leaders of potential

May Day protests turn violent in downtown Seattle

CNN Story

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Occupy May Day went global on Tuesday, as demonstrations stretched from California to New York and from Europe to the Caribbean.

Occupy San Francisco got an early start to the traditional May Day workers' protest, kicking off its organized rally at 8 p.m. local time on Monday.

"San Francisco, once a stronghold of the dispossessed, has become a playground for the rich and a living hell for those of us who can't keep up or have no interest in capitalist relations," Bay Area protest organizers said in a statement.

Occupy May Day goes global

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Here's another hot one.

Video uploaded to YouTube shows an Occupy protester on May Day in Los Angeles hitting a female LAPD officer in the back of the head with a drum.

The man in black walks past the officer nonchalantly and then strikes when her back is turned. The two-armed blow to the head by the much heavier protester causes the officer to pitch forward. By the time she recovers her balance, the cowardly assailant has run off.

The only description provided with the clip simply says "Protestor strikes officer with a drum." However, the clip has been tagged with the words "occupy," "may day," and "los angeles." A closeup still image of the drum scum appears above.

Apparently, this was not the only attack on a female LAPD officer yesterday. Another officer was hit in the head with a skateboard, denting her helmet. She was taken to the hospital and, fortunately, her injuries are not life-threatening.

Drum Scum: Occupier Strikes Female Officer in Head from Behind

Ouch !!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Not a peep in the Australian media....not one f*ck was given.
Not liking the violence...these people doing violence dont speak for me ...dumbkoffs cant even see they're being baited..and that makes them as dumb as the 1%

sigh...bring back Zucotti park!

Ro

edit on 2-5-2012 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

They hardly covered it yesterday when it was actually happening. They forget to report that almost all protesters weren't violent even when attacked.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I've gotta' disagree with ya .... I don't think this stuff is 'sweeping the headlines' at all.
The OWS stuff doesn't even rate a mention .. unless you are a left wing rag sheet.
It has fizzled. What you see are just some radical hanger-ons who can't admit
their so called 'movement' has failed.

(IMHO - failed because it was infiltrated by Soros and the unions and the communists)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I have to agree.

The "sweeping" part is the hidden message in the headline !

The whole theme is scattered and not focused.

Too many different "organizations" involved perhaps ?

I think #Occupy has been "occupied".

edit on May-02-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I've gotta' disagree with ya .... I don't think this stuff is 'sweeping the headlines' at all.
The OWS stuff doesn't even rate a mention .. unless you are a left wing rag sheet.
It has fizzled. What you see are just some radical hanger-ons who can't admit
their so called 'movement' has failed.

(IMHO - failed because it was infiltrated by Soros and the unions and the communists)

Oh the movement isn't dead, the media is just deciding to nearly completely ignore it, Jess Simpsons baby is more newsworthy to the msm sheeple viewers

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
Oh the movement isn't dead, the media is just deciding to nearly completely ignore it,

It isn't dead? Well ... it's laying on a slab with cold skin and vacant eyes .. it's major organs have stopped functiioning and the toxins and infections (from Soros and the Communists and the Unions) are running all through the body. The heart is flatlined and the 'doctors' can't seem to get it restarted with the paddles.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It got quiet for a few months, but yesterday the movement showed that they will continue fighting for change. Hundreds of thousands lined streets all over the states, with many more elsewhere, Germany had 400k protesters! Explain to me how that is dead

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Here is the full statement sent by Occupy Cleveland:
"While the group arrested Monday evening by the FBI were associated with Occupy Cleveland they were in no way representing or acting on behalf of Occupy Cleveland or the event that was planned for later today at the GE Lighting building. The May Day Event that was sponsored by Occupy Cleveland, the North Shore AFL-CIO, Cleveland Jobs with Justice, Fight for a Fair Economy and SEIU Local 1 has been cancelled because of the alleged actions of the autonomous group arrested last night. Occupy Cleveland has had affirmed principles of non-violence since its inception on October 6, 2011."

Read more: www.newsnet5.com...

Bridge bomb plot: FBI says Occupy Cleveland not under investigation though suspects were actively involved in group.

The Occupy movement is never identified by name in the affidavit filed by federal officials today, but interviews have since indicated that the five arrested had been involved with – and somewhat dissatisfied with – the Occupy Cleveland movement in Public Square.
Still, that the five men arrested were connected with that movement – including attending an Oct. 21, 2011, event on Cleveland’s Public Square – had caused ripples throughout the day.

cleveland.com

But of course breitbart.com calls them leaders. No agenda there.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
What is this guy talking about ?

He appears to be very confused.

Occupy protest shares his insight into the meaning of Oscar Grant Plaza at Oakland City Hall.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Occupy May Day Report Card: FAIL

Can someone debate this "report card" from a Breitbart story ?

Summary : FAIL
Sorry, far leftists -- Occupy has fizzled. You’re going to have to come up with some new tricks if you want to remain an even remotely relevant force in the public discourse. You had the media on your side, you had academia on your side...gosh, you had the President of the United States of America on your side -- and you blew it.

Will you go away now? Of course you won't. You'll find some new gimmick to try to sell the American people on leftist revolution.

We know it won't be easy but don’t worry, though. You’ll have lots to be angry about under the Romney Administration.

Attendance : D+
For an event literally months in the making, the crowd turnout was weak coast to coast. I’m being a fair standard here; compared to other Occupy events from last fall, the numbers everywhere were smaller. Compared to other leftist events such as Wisconsin, the numbers were smaller.

Leftist Thuggery: A
While their numbers were small, the level of violent, crazy Black Bloc behavior got pretty intense. Especially in liberal west coast cities like Seattle and Oakland, the wanna-be ninja squads broke windows, spray painted and generally made a mess. They harassed cops with gusto, too -- throwing bottles, screaming obscenities and taunting the police to try to encourage a violent reaction from law enforcement.

Nationwide Strike : F
Occupy has claimed that this would be the first nationwide strike in the country’s history -- no school, no work, no shopping. You missed it too, right? A nation of over 300 million paid zero attention to the supposed spokespeople for the 99%.

Media Exposure : D
Look at headlines around the country and Occupy’s May Day barely registered. The broken glass to media coverage link was shockingly small. Big fail for the tattered remnants of the Occupy media team, who were trumped by the Black Bloc’s now predicable rage against the machine.

Big Symbolic Events : D
No Golden Gate shutdown; the unions nixed it. They managed to make commuter traffic bad in New York late in the evening but that’s not exactly unusual. I give them points for effectively shutting down LAX, another move guaranteed to win them no fans. In San Francisco they caused the ferries to shut down but there was no visceral moment from that.

Political Impact : F
Those salad days of being praised by President Obama and Nancy Pelosi seem to be over. Of course, they would criticize the mob violence, but you didn’t hear a peep from the Democratic establishment yesterday. Even at liberal nutjob paradise DailyKos, the Kos Kommunity was eerily quiet about May Day.

Agree ?

Disagree ?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Why? You won't even acknowledge the post I made refuting breitbart.coms claim of Occupy Cleveland leaders being behind the plot. You don't seem to read threads that aren't your own, if you did you might actually learn there's other claims all on your own without having to ask.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-5-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Thanks for the thread.

I will read and follow.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
May Day Protestors Cannot Explain Their Signs or Their Cause

Update
Chicago

Yesterday at Chicago’s Union Park for the May Day march, I found group of protesters from the Asociación de Vendedores Ambulantes (Street Vendors Association) holding signs from the Chicago Community and Workers’ Rights.

I asked one protester what her sign meant, and she said, “I don’t know.” She told me she didn’t speak English, but there was another girl (who I have seen around many Chicago protests) there who spoke Spanish, so I asked her to ask the woman in Spanish what her sign meant. Sadly the woman holding the sign still did not have an answer. After questioning another protester who also did not know why she was there, I asked if they were being paid to be at the protest. It was then that the translator told me “you don’t need to do that,” and a man came over to explain the different signs and shirts of the protesters.

I proceeded to ask all the members of this group if any of them knew what there signs said and why they were there and not one of them could answer the questions, even when language wasn’t a barrier.

Youtube

This is about the saddest group of protesters I have ever encountered. Not one of them knew what there sign meant or why they were there. A spokesperson for group denied they were being paid, you be the judge.

new topics

top topics

join