It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now You can be Arrested for Using Cash

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Erm. This is great (sic):

What officers thought was a counterfeit $50 bill turned out to be an old, legitimate bill, but the truth wasn't discovered until a man was mistakenly charged and jailed Friday.

"The front side of the bill was off center and it didn't feel like a normal bill, it did look to be counterfeit," officer Brock Horner said in his report.

My favorite part is the admonishment of the arestee from the cop who arrested him:

A judicial commissioner had Gaspar released from jail and Horner apologized for the arrest, the report said. Gasper was told by Horner to take the bill to a bank and have it exchanged for a newer one.

Kinda funny/kinda sad...

$50 bill? Think Twice before Using

ColoradoJens

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The title is correct yet a bit deceiving ... I think it was an honest mistake, but it makes the cop look like a moron..

I've heard of this happening before though, it's not the first time someone has used an old bill and gotten in trouble for it by mistake =)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Since when is "older" money not legal? Does make you kinda leery when receiving a bill like that.
Every now and then I'll get an old $20, you know with the small face, normal looking.HA!
But so far, no one has said any thing about it other than joking about old bills vs. new bills.

Long time ago, when the new bills first came out, we were told by our cop friends that the new ones had that strip in there so if a DEA or one of them scanned you, they could tell pretty much what you had in your pocket. Supposedly for tracking drug dealers [yeah, right]. One cop took the strip out and tried to burn it. Guess what, it didn't burn!!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Maybe cops should carry those little black markers on their belts near their tazer.

I really wish there was a picture of the actual bill, it would be interesting to see just how fake it looked. I wonder how old the officer was..

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Funny, they tryt o chalk it up to a simple mistake. I cant help but think about the recent supreme court ruling that anyone can be stripped searched for even the most minor offense. Makes their mistake seem a lot less simple, doesnt it?

Eta: it made me think of this

edit on 1-5-2012 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'd pissed from all get out, They would have to pay, wages lost or unemployment, child support depending on length of time, but I'd be pissed

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I have some old silver certificate bills....wonder what would happen to me if I tried to use one to pay for something.....

Des

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

A clerk at Quik Mart, South Cannon Boulevard, notified police after the marker used to detect counterfeit bills didn't check as real.

Um, my guess, the clerk had to be a young kid. He would have known other wise about the older bills and a difference in the paper, hence why the black mark. Just saying...

On a side note, that would ROYALLY piss me off if they called the cops on me and had me arrested!!!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
When I was a boy, my little league coach ran a garage. Inside his garage, he had a $1000 bill posted on his wall behind his desk. Its was cool looking. I was told that they were used in transactions between banks, but could be had if you knew people. (this was mid 70's, before Computer transfer of funds) I don't know if this was true, or if the bill was real, but he believed it to be.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Maybe cops should carry those little black markers on their belts near their tazer.

I really wish there was a picture of the actual bill, it would be interesting to see just how fake it looked. I wonder how old the officer was..

I collect old money, bills and coins, and no, the pen does not work on them. The new ones are on a different type of paper. I even have a $10 bill that's dated 1936... and that looks and feels different than the ones in the 60's-80's. Plus a few silver certificates also from way back when.

Basically the pens only work on the ones with the BIG faces on it and the strip in it. The older bills had smaller more proportioned faces [not as ugly.HA!] and no strips in it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I can be arrested? Do you Americans have Arrests on your job record? I have finding of guilt only.
Anyhow, possessing large amounts of cash, down here, always renders you a suspect.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Sort of feel sorry for the cop in this case, to be honest. He's probably going to get ragged down at the precinct for quite a while for this one.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I was in a strange town overseeing the opening of a new office when the new $100 Bills first hit at the banks. I had not had any time yet to set up local bank accounts and my Hotel did not want to take a company check. I went to the bank and used a card to get some cash for accommodations and petty cash for the week, and they gave me a stack of new hundreds. I decided to just pay in cash so I did not have to deal with getting reimbursed later for using my personal card.

When I went to the Hotel counter and tried to pay with the new hundreds, the Hotel Manager refused to let me pay with them. He accused me of trying to pass off fake $100 bills. Same kind of story in reverse I suppose. Still gives me chuckle when I recall the look on his face the next day as he apologized. It seems that Hotel Managers don't keep up with current events.

I still get old bills now and then with bundles from the bank in change and petty cash orders. Even got a couple of Silver Certificates a couple of months ago. My wife goes through the change every time to pick out the old coins that seem to be in each change order. She even finds the old silver coins now and then mixed in. She now has a quart jar full of those she has gotten out of change orders over the last ten years. My guess is they come from kids stealing from their parents and spending their collectible coins.
edit on 5/1/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

I was thinking the same thing...minus the taser part.

I bet that cop feels like an idiot and if he doesn't he should.

I had an old $20 a couple months ago and the girl at the store kept looking at it like it as fake and even asked me where I got it. I told her it was an old $20 before the fancy colorful ones and she just looked at me. She was young, teenager. It was even funnier when I handed her the coin change afterwards and she sat there puzzled trying to figure out the change...
She was getting a little flustered. I dont know why they always get freaked when you do that, you learn to count change in elementary school!

I worked for First Union years ago and I had to take a class on counterfeit money. It was about a week long and wow I saw some awesome fakes. Those pens also aren't a guarantee. I learned that they can read false and for some reason they tend to read false more on the newer bills than the old ones. I don't know what it is but I have seen it a few times. One side shows real, the other just black but you can see the strip and all the other marks that are suppose to be present.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
Funny, they tryt o chalk it up to a simple mistake. I cant help but think about the recent supreme court ruling that anyone can be stripped searched for even the most minor offense. Makes their mistake seem a lot less simple, doesnt it?

Eta: it made me think of this

edit on 1-5-2012 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

Just an FYI the strip search gig only applies to prisons / prisoner bookings. It does not apply to the general public on the street.
If you want to bitch, bitch about the authorities down loading cell phone information for minor MM stops / traffic stops or other infringements.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

When will the inevitable cry for "more security" be made in the name of a cash-less society (all plastic)?

CJ
edit on 1-5-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zona
When I was a boy, my little league coach ran a garage. Inside his garage, he had a $1000 bill posted on his wall behind his desk. Its was cool looking. I was told that they were used in transactions between banks, but could be had if you knew people. (this was mid 70's, before Computer transfer of funds) I don't know if this was true, or if the bill was real, but he believed it to be.

The old $1000 bills are real.

None have been printed since 1934.

The $1000 bill featured Grover Cleveland on the obverse and the words "One Thousand Dollars" on the reverse. It was printed as a small-size Federal Reserve Note in 1928, 1934 and 1934A, and a small-size Gold Certificate in 1928 and 1934. As of May 30, 2009, there were 165,372 $1,000 bills in circulation.

Old Bills

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

It's sad our economy is so bad, that people are using their saved silver certificates to pay for things.

They wouldn't be out in circulation if not for that. Aren't the banks supposed to pull them as they come in...guess I need to do some research on that. They used to pull all incoming certificates out of circulation.

I've been finding a lot of all silver coins in change this past year. People are scraping the bottom of their piggy banks..

Des

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
)our title bothers me, but I have to say, since when is it a cops job to determine whether or not a bill is fake, without equipment? I wasn't aware that a cop could arrest someone based on an eyeball test of a bill. If I were this person, id sue for false arrest.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Thanks - as I was posting I actually wondered this but was lazy and posted anyway.

I've got some old monies too but never tried marking them. I have some silver certificates like you Destiny - generally they are worth a little bit more than face value to collectors, and still legal tender for face value anywhere that accepts money.

Since all the news I can find about this story sucks:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join