It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cow Leather Made In India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Curious to see what my gloves were made of at work (knowing that they were at least part leather), I examined the interior tag:

The Hindu religion (total Hindu population 2001 80.5% en.wikipedia.org...) forbids any harm to come to a cow as it is considered a sacred animal. This article explains:

"Revered above all other beasts by Hindus - ranked as high as Brahmin priests, the "twice-born", for their sweetness and generosity - cows still tramp the streets of most Indian towns and cities, mingling with the traffic, nosing through the rubbish skips in the markets, roaming deserted highways at night.

The cow's special status in India is enshrined in law. With the exception of two states, the slaughter of cows and calves is totally forbidden, whatever the reason and at whatever age. Bulls and bullocks and she-buffaloes are protected up to 15 years of age."

If this is true, how are leather goods getting globally exported worldwide from the epicentre of Hinduism? More from the same article:

"Much of the abuse stems from the fact that the trade in and slaughter of cows is almost entirely clandestine and illegal - but the authorities which should be stopping it are routinely bribed to let it continue. There is, therefore, no scrutiny or regulation of the trade anywhere along the line."

Would it not be logical to assume then that the workers don't know what their product is made of? Perhaps a lack of education is keeping their eyes shielded from the truth?

"Hindu farmers allow their cows to be taken for slaughter. Muslims butcher them using primitive techniques in appalling conditions. Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Muslims and Christians all profit." ( www.independent.co.uk... )

Press the pause button again. In that list it includes Hindus that profit. Money could be blamed for the secret destruction of this religious principle, but in truth, it seems more so the individual's desire to obtain wealth. All of this is assuming that the information presented here is correct.
edit on 1-5-2012 by saint4God because: Added link to article

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
HAHAHA!!!....you got them !

Maybe they are ok to process the leather of the cows once they die by natural causes.........mmmmm,,,,naaah.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

You are assuming that the leather did not come from a cow that died from a natural death and that all leather can come only from cows.

There is a Indian cast specialized in cleaning and profiting from sub-products of animal carcasses from the streets where caws, dogs and monkeys among others roam free. Like we have people in the west that make a living from collecting cans or paper/cardboard (that also exist in India they even collect plastic there, something that is not done in the west).

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

While cows are considered sacred... cow meat is made and sold in many regions in India... at least where I live.

Its only certain communities that avoid beef, or any other meat for that matter. From what I've observed in my friends, its mainly because of their upbringing or habit... and they are not exactly "religious" people.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Congratulations on finding a product thats not made in China.
They may be made in India but the small print probably adds 'From imported products'
edit on 2-5-2012 by 12voltz because: of dsylexia

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
i thought it was a specific type of cow not all of them but this link seems to say that is all cows and while they used to eat meat and have no direct rules agisnt it it seems that as a whole the cow species in its entirety is sacred but milk cows being a bit higher up
?
www.religionfacts.com...

en.wikipedia.org... that was the cow that i had thought was the main sacred species of cow
edit on 2-5-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

While cows are considered sacred... cow meat is made and sold in many regions in India... at least where I live.

Its only certain communities that avoid beef, or any other meat for that matter. From what I've observed in my friends, its mainly because of their upbringing or habit... and they are not exactly "religious" people.

Thank you for this insight and contribution. I've yet to visit and have only heard what my associates from the country have said of the life and culture.

new topics

top topics

join