It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man grows 1,360-acre forest in India...by himself

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
Thread of the year so far!

I'm inspired! Recently i have been pulling up baby Ash Tree's that have littered my garden, but now i'm going to pot them all and plant them in the most desolate run down part of town!

You should do it... we need clean air not polluted dirty air!!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Big
for this thread. Very amazing feat this man has done that shouldn't go unnoticed, especially considering he was told it was pretty much highly improbable. Thank you to the OP for sharing this story. I for one completely agree with the state of mind that we human's being superior, should act more as caretakers to what Mother Earth has blessed us with in all aspects opposed to turning the other cheek and/or worst. One can only hope others could start to see things this way opposed to continuing to take such precious thing's life has blessed us with for granted...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Thank You! I will read the whole thing!
and pass it onto others who may be interested. I am currently working with people who study Permaculture in my area and am fascinated by the idea of "building" a food forest - or rather helping the forest build itself

Here is a link to a video (TED Talk) that I think everyone in this thread might also enjoy:
willie smits restores a rainforest

There is some controversy about this video's content and its accuracy, and at times I dont agree wholly with their methods, but regardless I feel that at least the idea of working (with locals) to help rebuild ecosystems or create new ones is very intriguing

I must say the man in the OP is most inspiring! I wish I could do something similar here in Southern California

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It's incredible what difference one mans life can make. It's good that he didn't listen to the "Experts" and did it anyway. I think he's earned himself a home in the afterlife.

It's a shame that someone will log it out when he is gone and it will probably be done for profit and not for need. This is the world we live in, a world bent with greed. Hopefully they will leave one tree to remember him by.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This man is simply amazing and should be an inspiration to us all.
When I was a child in the 50's there was a holiday in this country
called Arbor Day. Every one was to plant a tree on this day. It brought my
atention to the joys and wonders of nature. Since my childhood I have planted
a tree everywhere we lived. We now have 2 acres in the country that we turned
into a miniature pine forest. It's such a joy to see the animals enjoy this little sanctuary.
Here is a simple and beautiful poem that some of you may recognize.
Trees
by Alfred Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918).
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Nice. I would take that any day.

What would be better if that happened in a city, plants just growing all over the place and most of the places would either look like ruins or a big green house.

Thanks for the post.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Amazing. Every journey starts with a single step. Plus an ATS thread without an argument...... Well, so far

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Here's some more good news:
ca.news.yahoo.com...

There is now talk of Mulai's forest being declared a wildlife sanctuary. If the government proves itself capable of caring for the land, Payeng will start planting elsewhere.

And it looks like he might not be done!

"If the Forest Department promises me to manage the forest in a better way, I shall go to other places of the state to start a similar venture,"

Elephants are catching on as well. Looks like the one Rhino killed didn't stop a few more from moving in either...

www.odditycentral.com...

There are about four tigers, three rhinos and more than a hundred deer, rabbits and apes. There are innumerable varieties of birds who call this place home, as well. A herd of about 100 elephants is known to visit the place every year for six months.

So how does he make a living to be able to do all of this? Simple...he sells milk!

Mulai lives in the vicinity of the forest, in a small hut, with his wife, two sons and a daughter. He makes money for a living by selling cow and buffalo milk.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
we will have the dinosaurs back if at least 20 other people do so! Nice move.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Finally, Something positive. I think it's great what this guy did. Now that is an accomplishment. Doing something positive for planet Earth, instead of raping it. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Not that i really do anything noteworthy but I have participated in several planting events in my own town, It's one of the things i love about where i live becaus when I climb the bluff towards the north side I can look over almost the whole city and with the exception of downtown the city is just riddled with trees of every species (with regards to habitable climate of course, this far north there arent a whole lot of palm trees for example). This is making me think however because behind me on the bluff itself is a vast expanse of housing development, farmland and simply unappied property that could be forested quite easily although the forest is receeded a few miles back to the mountains. We live in a natural valley on the river so air inversion is a constant concern especially during winter months, authorities even caution us against using wood fires to heat our homes at certain times. I wonder if imporving the landscape surrounding the city could produce air cleaning effects that would further reduce the threat of our own pollution!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

If the government proves itself capable of caring for the land, Payeng will start planting elsewhere.

That is priceless. Absolutely Priceless! "If the government proves itself capable of caring for the land" only then will HE put more effort into creating another very special place.

He's got the right idea, but here in the United States? If he'd not been ruined by the EPA for violating regulations (Believe it or not, The Mojave Desert for example is a very protected area
) he'd have lost his special place by being kicked out off it. I am 100% positive that Our gov't would seize this land and make it a new protected area even HE'D have to enter as a visitor.

India sounds like an interesting place in the modern age. Downright promising, in fact if it's got more guys like this one! This is one of the better stories for a long time and your update only makes it better.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

i am totally inspired..

now I want to wage war

against concrete

and start lobbing

seed bombs!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
An awesome accomplishment, always wondered why people didn't plant more trees, especially more fruit baring trees in barren places, or just anywhere that needs more plant life around.

This guy kind of reminds me of a sort of Indian version of Johnny Appleseed, only minus all them apple trees.

But still.

The Story Of Johnny Appleseed

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

it's always nice to read about heart warming storys like this.

If i had to choice to live his life or the one i'm currently living... I would probably go for his, it seems a lot more fulfilling than performing data entry 5 days a week

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This was a Great Post and thank you for sharing that with us.......this is the kind of inspiration that this world needs.

No matter which country you live in at the moment I think that the Governments have shown us how corrupt they can be and their total disregard for life unless its to earn them another dollar..........so yeah if they won't do it then I guess we will have to do it ourselves......very kewl

We DEFINETLY need a lot more posts LIKE this!!!!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It is people like this that should be considered to earn a nobel prize

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elq10000
It is people like this that should be considered to earn a nobel prize

Agreed.

He gave something to humanity and asked nothing in return.

I can think of one or 2 prize winners that don't fall into this category.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join