It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with pride?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What's wrong with being proud of who and what you are and what you've done? I personally believe pride is healthy as long as you don't become so proud that you believe you and your creations are superior to anyone else and their creations.

What's wrong with pride?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Nothing is inherently wrong with pride. You basically answered your own question; pride becomes detrimental when it becomes elitism. Furthermore, pride, prejudice, and pretentiousness tend to mix poorly. It's one thing to have pride in your work and accomplishments, it's another to boast and brag about them to others in order to boost your feeling of self-worth. It comes down to Ego VS Self-Esteem; they are very alike, but the ego is unstable and must be constantly fed validation in order to keep from shattering.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with it as long as you are not white....white pride is an awful thing

Edit: Forgot to mention that white pride is ok if you are gay....white pride=no good, gay white pride=okey dokey

edit on 1-5-2012 by JeffreyCH because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2012 by JeffreyCH because: punctuation error

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

who said there was anything wrong with it? unless you take it to an extreme one should be proud of ones accomplishments.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CesarO

who said there was anything wrong with it? unless you take it to an extreme one should be proud of ones accomplishments.

Pride is labeled one of the "seven deadly sins".

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
What's wrong with being proud of who and what you are and what you've done? I personally believe pride is healthy as long as you don't become so proud that you believe you and your creations are superior to anyone else and their creations.

What's wrong with pride?

There is a difference between pride and being prideful... the latter of which is what I believe those old Seven Deadly Sins refers to when mentioning pride...

Lust
Greed
Gluttony
Envy
Anger
Pride
Sloth

We can take pride in our lives and accomplishments so long as we don't allow it to reflect back out negatively towards others. With that pride should come an equal dose of humility... and an understanding that regardless of what we have done, there is always so much more to do and that at any moment, we could fall flat on our bouncy.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeffreyCH
Nothing wrong with it as long as you are not white....white pride is an awful thing

Wtf are you trying to say?

Edit: Forgot to mention that white pride is ok if you are gay....white pride=no good, gay white pride=okey dokey

edit on 1-5-2012 by JeffreyCH because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2012 by JeffreyCH because: punctuation error

Wtf are you talking about?

Pride is pride. It doesn't matter who's proud. You saying white people can't be proud except if they're gay and if they are proud then its not as good as what another race is proud of? What kind of bigoted racist crap is this? What kind of crap are you?

Not only is this racist bigotry crap, it's also retarded and makes no sense.
edit on 1-5-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have met far to many people over the years whose "pride" was miss-placed.

Far too confident in themselves when really they probably would of been better off being more Humble than prideful.

Pride in things they where born with, not earned...

Nothing wrong with being proud of your own accomplishments, just make sure your making a fair assessment in the first place.

edit on 1-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I'm pretty sure that's considered a smartass reply.

Only to someone blinded by to much pride.
Just my opinion.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It's a play on the stigma placed on white pride vs. black pride, gay pride, brown pride. If you even mention white pride you are automatically a racist(and rightly so because of neo nazi, kkk, and other groups of morons) More of a joke then anything else. Sorry, sometimes my sense of humor doesn't transfer well onto the internet.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I have met far to many people over the years whose "pride" was miss-placed.

Far too confident in themselves when really they probably would of been better off being more Humble than prideful.

Pride in things they where born with, not earned...

Nothing wrong with being proud of your own accomplishments, just make sure your making a fair assessment in the first place.

edit on 1-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

I agree with what one of the above posters said. Pride should be counterbalanced with humility. Be proud to exist and be proud of your abilities and accomplishments but also don't let your pride become so overbearing that you forget that you're not superior to any other human being with a functioning body and mind.

So for the balance to occur, not only should you be proud of yourself, but also proud of others.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

It's a play on the stigma placed on white pride vs. black pride, gay pride, brown pride. If you even mention white pride you are automatically a racist(and rightly so because of neo nazi, kkk, and other groups of morons) More of a joke then anything else. Sorry, sometimes my sense of humor doesn't transfer well onto the internet.

lol im not sure what you mean...

if i see a black guy saying "Black Power!!" and a white guy saying "White Power!!!" i would look at both of them in the same manner.

I just hope people with these thoughts don't infect future generation, little kids don't see much colour difference nowadays, its their parents who see it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

A paragraph is a separation of text by a blank line, separating thoughts. Single sentences can be paragraphs too. I see two paragraphs

You know what ? You're correct. I actually went to my websters and looked it up. I was always under the impression that a paragraph with pride
consisted of at least two or more sentences. But it is true what you say.

Paragraph only has to do with positioning and separation for a new line of thought in the commentary.

I conceed.

SnF

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Oh. Sorry, I get it now. But still, I think what i'm trying to establish is that any kind of pride that excludes one or a group from another or another group is bad pride. For pride to be okay, it can't put you in a superior position.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

A paragraph is a separation of text by a blank line, separating thoughts. Single sentences can be paragraphs too. I see two paragraphs

You know what ? You're correct. I actually went to my websters and looked it up. I was always under the impression that a paragraph with pride
consisted of at least two or more sentences. But it is true what you say.

lol.

Paragraph only has to do with positioning and separation for a new line of thought in the commentary.

I conceed.

SnF

I think the confusion comes in school when our english teacher tell us that our paragraphs must be 5 sentences long, and also you can't start a sentence with And or But, another common false teaching.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong in taking pride in what you do and how you dress. These are good qualities. But, like so many things in life, too much of something can be a bad thing, especially if your pride is the result of overconfidence

"Pride comes before a fall"

A person who is extremely proud of his or her abilities will often suffer a setback or failure, because he or she tends to be overconfident and to make errors of judgment.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I think the confusion comes in school when our english teacher tell us that our paragraphs must be 5 sentences long, and also you can't start a sentence with And or But, another common false teaching.

You mean....... I'm a victim ? On two counts even ? I have always struggled with that and but crap and it's a false teaching ?

That's beyond cruel. Damn it ! I'm taking your word on that one and tomorrow I'm going back to school and reem every teach I ever had. You got me all bent now.

Fat chance that any of them are even alive anymore ! I graduated in 77 with all the pride and confidence in public school myths. What else do I need to forget ? God this is horrible I can't even get revenge !

edit on 1-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join