Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What fish are safe to eat?

page: 1

join

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'll post this here as many will be up on the Japan fallout and can hopefully offer advice.

So, what fish are safe to eat?

Two fish brands I eat quite regular-

1- John West Sardines in Olive Oil- produced in Portugal so I assume are caught off Portugal? Safe?

2- John West Atlantic Tuna. Safe?

Thanks for any input to my questions.

edit on 1-5-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

Avoid fish with more than 2 eyes or are speaking in gibberish.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I might give you a flag, but there's no post.

Just a title.

I wouldn't eat any fish from Japan, this is the Japan forum.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Just a title.

Clicked post before typing my post- updated now

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Better be safe than sorry and just not eat any of it no matter where it's caught

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You can eat just about any fish that comes from waters that aren't polluted. Look for evidence upstream of mining, especially gold processing or lead processing plants. Too much of anything is bad for you, even fish. Try to stay away from fish like sharks that eat big fish that eat fish. The toxic metals build up in them.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Stick to farm raised fish and shrimp, local trout.

Even then it might be somewhat tainted. I can't live without fish though. =(

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Eat any fish caught off the coast of Japan, as they will help in irradiating any cancer in you body and that will make you feel better.......

I recommend most fresh water fish and Salmon.....If it's good enough for Bears.....
edit on 1/5/12 by sirric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
well as it would seem,
any fish from your local inland lake,, as long as your not down wind from a coal fire plant, chemical plant or a big farm run off.. good luck
edit on 1-5-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Get a time machine and go back at least 100 years if you want safe fish.

You'll live just fine without Chinese lead farmed fish and Fukushima fillets.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
So basically nothing is safe?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012

Originally posted by butcherguy

Just a title.

Clicked post before typing my post- updated now

Okay, I starred and flagged since you are concerned about radiation in the food supply.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I recommend most fresh water fish and Salmon.....If it's good enough for Bears.....
reply to post by sirric

Ahh, those bears will be getting cancer too, I'm afraid.

A lot of salmon are caught in rivers.... after spending most of their lives in the ocean. Largest catches are from the Pacific, the ocean that Fukushima is dumping its radiation into.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Stick to farm raised fish and shrimp, local trout.

Even then it might be somewhat tainted. I can't live without fish though. =(

Pennsylvania still recommends not eating too many of their hatchery-raised trout, since they are still contaminated with PCBs.

Link
If you read the link, it basically says that the trout have PCBs in them. They have poison in them, but you can still eat them, just don't eat more than a half a pound a week.

No thanks!
edit on 1-5-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
GVELTE

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I don't care anymore.
The way things are going we're all going to be dead within the next two decades anyway, especially if reactor #4 collapses.
I'm basically pescatarian aside from the very occasional chicken breast.
I turned to fish and veggies after being mis-diagnosed with a personality disorder (it was regular boring old manic depression.. lol)
After some time spent on anti-depressants, and anti-convulsants, I drew the line at Lithium and did some serious research.
I discovered that the high levels of omega 3 in some oily fish, along with spices and a ton of exercise can all help with mood, brain function, and endorphins and things. (Can't explain it very well here, but there's a book about it)

ANYWAY, my point is,
I eat sushi, sashimi, and seaweed, at every available opportunity.
I eat tuna most days, salmon at least twice a week, haddock, kippers, sardines, prawns, cockles, mussels.
You name it, we eat it.
I've weened myself off drugs, and onto natural things. Music, exercise, and plate of salmon IS my antidepressant treatment. My life is that much better for it.

So I'm not going back. No way. If it kills me, then so be it. Radioactive fish might get me, but so could suicide have done, back in the dark days.

Seriously though *F**K* TPTB.
/rant

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

I'm glad you found the natural way to do things. I like fish and overeat at least one meal a week of fish. It's the only thing I can eat a lot of without it causing problems. I eat local fish or canned salmon or tuna. I think my increased awareness is directly tied to fish. Any fish except ones that live in polluted places is ok for me.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
I don't care anymore.
The way things are going we're all going to be dead within the next two decades anyway, especially if reactor #4 collapses.
I'm basically pescatarian aside from the very occasional chicken breast.
I turned to fish and veggies after being mis-diagnosed with a personality disorder (it was regular boring old manic depression.. lol)
After some time spent on anti-depressants, and anti-convulsants, I drew the line at Lithium and did some serious research.
I discovered that the high levels of omega 3 in some oily fish, along with spices and a ton of exercise can all help with mood, brain function, and endorphins and things. (Can't explain it very well here, but there's a book about it)

ANYWAY, my point is,
I eat sushi, sashimi, and seaweed, at every available opportunity.
I eat tuna most days, salmon at least twice a week, haddock, kippers, sardines, prawns, cockles, mussels.
You name it, we eat it.
I've weened myself off drugs, and onto natural things. Music, exercise, and plate of salmon IS my antidepressant treatment. My life is that much better for it.

So I'm not going back. No way. If it kills me, then so be it. Radioactive fish might get me, but so could suicide have done, back in the dark days.

Seriously though *F**K* TPTB.
/rant

Good on you my friend.

Hope all stays well, I've often heard the omega 3 levels in oily fish can help with mild depression.

It's one of the reasons I started adding sardines to my diet more regularly.

Seen as though they are fished off Portugal I'm assuming they are safe, guess I won't find out though!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sirric

You're kinda cute there sirric, nice collar.

new topics

top topics

join