It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.22 lr bolt action for survival

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This and 1000 rounds weighs about 10lbs

I have an older version from Charter arms, it's not flashy, but it's compact, lightweight, and does all I need it to do..

your mileage may vary

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
When I was a kid most .22 semi automatics would fire short, long, or long rifle ammo.. The more recent models are optimized to get the best performance possible with long rifle rounds.... Being able to have a choice of different rounds that can be fired from the same rifle is very appealing in that lower velocity rounds that can't be heard a long distance away or frighten off game can be used.... The Henry pump action .22 rifles would be a great choice as would one of their lever action models... I think that the pump action would be less prone to mechanical failure... The Henry products are almost too pretty to be carrying around in the woods.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have a good old Mossberg .22 LR and enough ammo to feed my family for the rest of their lives if need be.

Cheap ammo....mostly game hunting. Why waste a .223 or 7x16 bullet on a squirrel?

Though, if push comes to shove, I can pick off an enemy's head at 50 yards with it if need be.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If I were you I would also try to learn how to make Bows and Arrows, there are some great tutorials on the Internet.
It's not to hard if you got the right tools. Right now I'm also making a bow.

You can make your arrowheads with flintknapping, this is how the people in the stone age did it. And you can straighten your arrows by using fire.

edit on 1-5-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Bolt action is a good idea on the principal of KISS. Semi-autos have that annoying problem of many parts that can wear out and break rendering your purchase a glorified stick.

Level action is a good compromise. For a 22LR, I would recommend sticking with either Marlin or Henry. Now for a backup backpack rifle and you don't mind semi-auto. Henry does make the AR-7 which breaks down to fit inside the buttstock. Not a bad rifle and can be found in under the ejection seat of many USAF fighters. Which should be a better endorsement than mine. Just saying.

On the subject of compound bows, again it goes against KISS. A good recurve matched to you personally is the best purchase. Consult your local archery dealer for "fitting".

All else fails, familiarize yourself on the construction of a simple bundle bow. You can be up hunting/protecting yourself in well under an hour.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Bolt action is a good idea on the principal of KISS. Semi-autos have that annoying problem of many parts that can wear out and break rendering your purchase a glorified stick.

Going beyond simplicity there's versatility to a bolt or lever .22.

Namely the ability to fire LR, L, S and subsonic ammunition without having to worry about cycling issues and jams.

Try firing some CB's or Aquila super silent sub sonics from a semi and you'll spend more than half your time clearing jams and trying to cycle the bolt by force.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Henry makes a survival rifle that comes apart and stores in the stock. It was originally made for pilots I think.

Henry Survival Rifle

Stainless Steel Beginner Rifle

Of course I prefer a shotgun if I can only have one firearm.

edit on 1-5-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
I agree with the poster above. I have a ruger10/22 it's awsome and has many aftermarket tactical stocks for it
Mine actualy looks like a g36 assult rifle. The 10/22 has many many accessorys out there for it

This post is worthless without a picture.....
want to see a 10/22 that looks like a G36.....

My brother got that gsg-9 or whatever it is .22. Looks just like an MP5. Pretty tacticool.
edit on 1-5-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Midway has them for $160.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Look up archangel maurader stock for 10/22

I am on my iPhone and don't have a pic here. But I do have a screen saver on my comp at home that has the archangel stock with a 10/22 and a real g36 below it and at first my friends couldn't tell the difference!!

This stock was at the shot show in Vegas first of last year and I saw it and had to have it!!!
When I tryed to order it a month later they were on backorder!! Didn't get mine till September

The stock kit is awsome!! Has a folding stock and you can get it with 25rd or 10rd clip unfortunatly the stock ruger 10rd is hard to use. The kit comes with 2 different mussel attachments that I couldn't use cus I have the threaded barrel

Just google archangel marauder 10/22. There are tons of pics out there and you will have an idea what it looks like

Be safe

Edit. They call it the nomad stock now
edit on 1-5-2012 by viperdave because: Origanal name was changed from marauder to nomad

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

That's pretty cool.....course if I am bringing something like that to the party, I want it to shoot like it too..........

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I prefer tube mags too. You don't have the snag factor plus you can't loose it. Ever heard of stinger rounds? Friggin' sweet rounds. A bit more expensive but worth it. A friend of mine hunts deer with it. But it's supersonic so it makes more noise.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
lots of great responses. and some fantastic links!

i own a ruger 10/22 and a SKS.

i am thinking of bolt action for ease of cleaning and fewer parts to break. a bolt action is less affected by misfire. meaning i can cycle the expended round manually.

as of right now, i'm thinking of a backpacking/hiking the back country gun.

if the SHTF, i would run away from people and find a hole to hide in until it's safe. i'm not a trained soldier. if i try to face any type of agresser, i am not confident i would come out of the encounter alive. this statement may sound "pansy" but it's honest. an honest assesment of my skills.

on the subject of bows. i would probably go with a longbow or something along that line. keeping it simple.

thank you for the responses

-subfab

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
My choice would be:

Battle Rifle (Bug In Weapon)
.22 slr (Out and About
Pistol (Every Day Carry)
Shotgun (Big Danger Response).

All of the above in the BOL.
While out and about I would have the pistol and .22 or shotgun and pistol.
Four weapons + You and you have 5.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
A 22 ????
Really?
Why not just use a BB gun or super soaker?

Really. Shoot small game with a .223 and you have a very mangled mess on your hands. Shoot small game with a .22 and you have a piece of meat to feed someone. A large caliber weapon can be overkill and the fact is, ammo is more expensive. I have a 10/22 like lots of folks here. It's extremely reliable, accurate, and can knock off most any threat from a safe distance.

I'm not knocking larger guns. I've got an AR-15 as well. It's just that you should choose the right sized screwdriver fo the job and the big ones don't always fit.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I bought the kids a Henry lever-action last summer. What a hoot that is to play with! It is (reasonably) accurate, and with young teens shooting I really like the fact that they have to actually DO SOMETHING to load a round. That really helps reduce the possibility of accidental discharges.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I will echo the Ruger 10/22. Very versitile rifle and also many aftermarket parts. (Folding stocks, ect...) But if you really want a olt action I recomend the Ruger 77/22. It is very simalet to the 10/22 but is bolt action and is a littlehigher quality. It is a little more pricey though. (700-900 for the 77/22 as opposed to 200-300 for a 10/22. My dad gave me my 10/22 on my twelvth irthday and it still runs strong. I also have aquired tons of replacement parts over the years in case of emergeny as this is one of my SHTF guns along with my AK and my Springfield XD .45.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
You have to take into account the fact that the survivalist community is populated by a significant group of special forces wannabees.

I own a military carbine for community defense. But I intend to do as little of that as frigging possible.

I own a semi-auto lr because I intend to do as much hunting as possible.

22lr is a universal cartridge (far more so than 223 or 7.62mm) and will likely be a medium of exchange with civil order falls apart.

22lr is quieter, and conserves more meat than a military hunting round.

The semi-auto is to be preferred; it is a simple action for a semi, and doesn't wear as rapidly as larger caliber guns do. Additionally, rabbit hunting for me involves multiple targets. So I want a gun that will fire faster than a bolt, where I have to re-acquire my target over and over.

i LOVE bow hunting. Love it. But bows are not reasonable for even stand-by self defense; and require far more skill to maintain and use.

The 22 can be handed to a novice or youth in your clan, and that person can bring back meat on the first day. They can also use the 22 when guarding checkpoints, etc. The bow won't do it for them.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Being somewhat of a gun enthusiast I will tell you that their Is NO need to go super expensive you can get a great quality rifle for $300-$700(rifles scopes are another story) depending on caliber and maker, that being said If you are looking for a survival gun be sure to choose a rifle that has a very highly produced round, 30-06 or 30-30 are great choices for short to mid range are some of the worlds most produced caliber.
For long range 7mm mag or my personal favorite the 300 win/mag more kick but great accuracy are good choices.
Now with ALL of that said you need also to take into account the ability to properly maintain your gun, in a survival situation that may be difficult and if that is something you are worried about that absolutely do NOT buy a high powered rifle like the 7mm or 300win, maintenance is crucial for a gun like that. if you are looking for reliable rifle, of course, the first thing that comes to mind is the classic AK-47/Kalashnikov, VERY reliable you can literally treat these guns like crap and they will still fire great, also the sks is a good choice. you will get endless opinions with a topic like this so good luck

oh yeah and you ain't killin' crap with a 22lr other than small game and varmint.
edit on 1-5-2012 by TruthWizard because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2012 by TruthWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Any small game you can kill w/ a .22 you can kill with a Gamo air rifle. For a survival situation be it camping / hiking / etc or zombie apocalypse I'd rather have something that can drive off or kill a bear, mountain lion or 2 legged weasels.

Some of the Gamo air rifles are so powerful there are police departments in several states trying to get them classified as deadly weapons, subject to the same FFL requirements simply because the muzzle velocity of the pellets are faster than some larger caliber weapons and they seen to think people could be killed by them. (?)

I like these kits that convert your Glock or 1911 into a rifle -

Kind of a neat solution if you're on a limited budget and want a rifle and hand gun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join