It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A quote I saw today had me thinking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Today I was reading in another thread about the sun an stumbled upon this comment

Originally posted by cointelprotroll
too bizarre! I keep telling my girlfriend that if something big doesn't happen in a year or so, and I don't die, I'm really gonna have to get my life together.

it got me thinking. The best translation of the 2012 idea from what I understand is that all they really know is that this date in time is supposed to be a time of great enlightenment and information. Maybe they(the ancients? the mayans? wherever else these theories are based from?) knew our world would be how it is today and didn't deem that fitting.

I hear lots of people say things like that quoted above. Which led to me to think maybe this date is just instilled to make people so thankful and motivated from the world not ending, as sort of a kick in the butt to be more productive.

The fact that people don't care enough about their lives to really do anything and need a false phenomena to do so doesn't really reflect well on our society.

Just a thought.

EDIT:In no way is this a shot at the person from the quote. This is more of a general consensus.
edit on 1-5-2012 by OGOldGreg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by OGOldGreg

it got me thinking. The best translation of the 2012 idea from what I understand is that all they really know is that this date in time is supposed to be a time of great enlightenment and information. Maybe they(the ancients? the mayans? wherever else these theories are based from?) knew our world would be how it is today and didn't deem that fitting.

books written by Graham Hancock to name one and his lectures evolved from earth change to paradigm change because of popularity and well 2 ways to sell books now.

think about this, there is only one end.
the second coming of Christ turned into 2012 and the notion that some could live through the disaster.

the end is just that, the end. when ever that is.
edit on 1-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hmm I've said something similar before. But never thought of it like that. Who knows? Inbed fear into people to make them better people. That quote really got my attention because I can recall telling my girlfriend the same....I like your theory

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

dems fighten words sucka! just kidding

Your right to a certain extent; our society has produced a generation of useless people. Afraid to die and too scared to live. Fear has crippled human potential
edit on 1-5-2012 by cointelprotroll because: too stupid, as always

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

books written by Graham Hancock to name one and his lectures evolved from earth change to paradigm change because of popularity and well 2 ways to sell books now.

think about this, there is only one end.
the second coming of Christ turned into 2012 and the notion that some could live through the disaster.

the end is just that, the end. when ever that is.
edit on 1-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

There's some new phenomena thats gonna end the world every 5-10 years anyway. I believe 2012 is more than likely just the next big thing.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Nah, most people (Well at least me and my surrounding) see 2012 as the last hope for a real change, so if nothing happens by then, this will be the biggest DEmotivator and will make many people lose any hope. It think of this date as the date that prevents many people from losing it....

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkpetrov
Nah, most people (Well at least me and my surrounding) see 2012 as the last hope for a real change, so if nothing happens by then, this will be the biggest DEmotivator and will make many people lose any hope. It think of this date as the date that prevents many people from losing it....

Heh... that's exactly what I was thinking. This is supposedly the big change. Many people are counting on this and have poured their heart and soul into research and what not for years and years. If nothing comes to fruition, I would not be surprised to see global mass suicides. This seems to be the most widespread 'shift' theory in a long time. So many people are going to go mental if nothing happens.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Imagine how pissed the devout doomsday preppers are going to feel. Like that guy who spent $130,000 on various things to prep for the apocalypse

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OGOldGreg
Imagine how pissed the devout doomsday preppers are going to feel. Like that guy who spent $130,000 on various things to prep for the apocalypse

Anybody who spends that much on survival supplies is a moron. Think of it this way... if there was going to be a catastrophic disaster in which the world would be drastically changed, would you really want to survive? I sure as hell wouldn't. If I had to live in a world where most of the people had been killed and most of modern technology had been destroyed, I think I'd rather be dead. It's better than having to live like a neanderthal.

No houses, no buildings, most of the people gone, no cars, no transportation of any kind, no electricity, no heat.

Even having to live without being able to listen to your favourite albums ever again...

No thanks.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Back in 2000 there were stories of computer programmers so sure that the end of civilization would come about because of the Y2K bug that they quit jobs and built fenced in compounds and stockpiled goods and all of the other wacko things wackos do. They claimed that their livelihood being computers somehow made their plans realistic and reasonable.

Let the goofs pass on their money to those that will be more than glad to accept it.

I wonder if the 2012 believers are the same as the Y2K wackos? Might be.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The worst part is the people who thought tha world was gonna end may/October of last year, had their dogs/cats put down. These people should be imprisoned for being idiots.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

So what you are saying is that if nothing happens on Dec. 21, 2012, it will be proof that 2012 was legit? Ok.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

So what you are saying is that if nothing happens on Dec. 21, 2012, it will be proof that 2012 was legit? Ok.

You obviously didn't read the whole thread and are taking it out of context. I'm saying quite the opposite actually. Basically the whole prophecy would be a hoax simply to teach us a lesson.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If 2012 comes and goes with nothing significant happening then people will just continue their daily ritual of being indoctrinated with propoganda and being a good little consumer.

I really want change, not on a apocolyptic scale, I just want people to wake up and take down the corrupt elite.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OGOldGreg

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

You obviously didn't read the whole thread and are taking it out of context. I'm saying quite the opposite actually. Basically the whole prophecy would be a hoax simply to teach us a lesson.

Actually I did, which stated that the ancients/mayans really had the ability to predict what life would be exactly like in 2012, and not liking it, set in motion a prophecy to change that. Many 2012 believers do not think the world will end, only that a new way of thinking will arise.

What you are suggesting is that the Mayans actually saw into the future, created an actual prophecy, and at the end of the prophecy an enlightenment will come over people.

So I am sorry if you don't understand how you are saying that nothing happening is proof the mayan prophecy is legit, but that is exactly what you are saying.

If you were considering this a hoax you would be saying when nothing happens it is proof the mayans could NOT see into the future.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
With the way your wording it, your also opening up to the fact that it could really swing either way, making your point somewhat moot

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I remember this guy I knew. He all of a sudden found God and was officially waiting for the second coming of Jesus. He was obsessed with his little church. They were intense and REALLY annoying.

He was out of work, (before staged financial crisis), and I asked him why he wasn't looking. He said that Jesus was going to come soon enough and it seemed silly to work on making money when he needed to focus on God.

I told him that God wants him to pay his bills and not become a drain on society, to which he responded with some random bible quote he tried to make apply to the situation.

People don't want to accept that they will need a plan B in case this is all hype...like I think it is....

Too many people WANT something to happen. They don't have kids and other people whom they are responsible for. I can't imagine the farthest thing I want to happen.

Some think it is a golden ticket to live in a state of BS.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

stuff like that make me think of this

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

No, there is only one way to interpret what I am saying. When 2012 comes and goes and nothing happens it will not be proof the Mayans were even more genius than we thought and used their "prophecy" to inspire mankind, it is proof there is no Mayan prophecy, it's a hoax. Something not occuring is not proof that the something is real.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

As far as your picture is concerned .. I could not agree more, and I say that as a Christian.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join