It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians make a racket about mysterious noise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

www.foxnews.com

The so-called Windsor hum, described as a low-frequency rumbling sound, has rattled windows and knocked objects off shelves in this border community just across the Detroit River from the Motor City. Locals have said it sounds like a large diesel truck idling, a loud boom box or the bass vocals of Barry White.

Residents in Windsor, Ontario, have blamed the hum for causing illness, whipping dogs into frenzies, keeping cats housebound and sending goldfish to the surface in backyard ponds.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/1/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
WOW

Okay so the United States is humming now..

I would think that with the reduced industrial output coming from Detroit, there would be less of a hum

I wonder if this is related to the loud "Boom" noises heard so frequently all over the world?

Interesting to say the least

Even weirder, Americans cannot seem to hear it. Canadians find that suspicious -- especially since their research suggests the hum is coming from the Yankees' side -- and accuse US officials of staying silent over the noise.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Perhaps the hum is only audible on certain frequencies? I know my Dad can't hear anything above a certain level....that would be an interesting premise to check out.

Interesting thread. S&F

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

It's interesting that you mention that.
Sunshineteaco made a great post about infrasound.

The human ear can only hear a limited part of the sound spectrum. Above that range is ultrasound and below it is infrasound. Although largely unheard, vibrations in these ranges can still affect the human body in ways that are quite different from the informational aspect of simply listening. These higher and lower registers of sound frequencies are, today, the stuff of imaginative speculation. While the conspiracy watchers believe they are the basis of secret weapons research for covert operations, mind control and other conspiratorial uses, another, more idealistic, school associates them with meditative states and magical technology. ....... It is alleged that many feature films, particularly horror movies, employ the use of infrasound to produce a heightened state of unease in the audience. The most recent addition to this list is the film ‘Paranormal Activity’. Perhaps this subtle effect is partly to do with the film’s extraordinary success. then there's this guy. Don't know if this article has been posted before, i'm just using it as an example of what i'm referring to. “We have analyzed records of these sounds and found that most of their spectrum lies within the infrasound range, i.e. is not audible to humans. What people hear is only a small fraction of the actual power of these sounds. They are low-frequency acoustic emissions in the range between 20 and 100 Hz modulated by ultra-low infrasonic waves from 0.1 to 15 Hz. In geophysics, they are called acoustic-gravity waves; they are formed in the upper atmosphere, at the atmosphere-ionosphere boundary in particular. There can be quite a lot of causes why those waves are generated: earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, storms, tsunamis, etc. However, the scale of the observed humming sound in terms of both the area covered and its power far exceeds those that can be generated by the above-mentioned phenomena.” IN THAT CASE, WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS HUMMING IN THE SKY? “In our opinion, the source of such powerful and immense manifestation of acoustic-gravity waves must be very large-scale energy processes. These processes include powerful solar flares and huge energy flows generated by them, rushing towards Earth’s surface and destabilizing the magnetosphere, ionosphere and upper atmosphere. Thus, the effects of powerful solar flares: the impact of shock waves in the solar wind, streams of corpuscles and bursts of electromagnetic radiation are the main causes of generation of acoustic-gravitation waves following increased solar activity. ................... BUT YOU SAID THAT THE CAUSE OF THE “SKY HUM” CAN LIE WITHIN EARTH’S CORE AS WELL, WHAT DOES IT MEAN? “There is one more possible cause of these sounds and it may lie at the Earth’s core. The fact is that the acceleration of the drift of the Earth’s north magnetic pole which increased more than fivefold between 1998 and 2003 and is at the same level today points to intensification of energy processes in the Earth’s core, since it is processes in the inner and outer core that form the Earth’s geomagnetic field. Meanwhile, as we have already reported, on November 15, 2011 all ATROPATENA geophysical stations which record three-dimensional variations of the Earth’s gravitational field almost simultaneously registered a powerful gravitational impulse. The stations are deployed in Istanbul, Kiev, Baku, Islamabad and Yogyakarta, with the first and last one being separated by a distance of about 10,000 km. Such a phenomenon is only possible if the source of this emanation is at the Earth’s core level. That huge energy release from the Earth’s core at the end of the last year was some kind of a start signal indicating the transition of the Earth’s internal energy into a new active phase.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm not usually the person to talk doom,but in the article says about the animals going crazy.
This is usually a sign of a big earthquake or volcano eruption.

What people hear as a hum,animals who can listen to lower frequencies,might hear and feel more.

www.lsu.edu...

www.spinvestigations.org...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Could be the earth crying out for them to stop raping it...

Canada disgusts me....

+12 more 
posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Finally we're getting some more recognition. I live in Windsor, for those that don't know, and we'd really appreciate some real answers instead of being sidelined every time we try to get somewhere. This leads me to believe it's being done by the U.S. Government, maybe with Canada, doing some secret work. Could be another underground base, could be tunnelling from Windsor to Detroit, could be something else. Strange indeed.

Edit; To the poster above me. Canada disgusts you? Are you blind to what happens elsewhere around the world?
edit on 1-5-2012 by concernedcitizen519 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
As others have questioned, I wonder if this is related to the booms? Several of the "boom" stories mention a strange, loud, truck idling sound. When I heard them here in CO last September, preceding the booms, my American Eskimo dog, a very well-behaved, potty-trained dog, started whimpering, peeing all over the house, and hiding in the guest bedroom, a room she never goes into. Her behavior was the same before each boom and preceded each boom about 5-10 minutes. I've heard of animals fleeing for higher land before tsunamis and there are several documented incidents about odd animal behavior before big storms and quakes, so I think that it is logical if animals are behaving oddly before these incidents, that it is some sort of natural or geologic process.

Aside from all of that, it seems that these things are occurring more and more all the time, in several different forms or variations of what can maybe be the same process. Just my opinion. Maybe we need to have an interactive Google Map or something on one of these threads with pins over where all of these strange sounds are being heard and witness accounts are plentiful. That way, we can get a clear picture of any trends, just like what was going on a year or two ago with the mass animal deaths being reported.
edit on 1-5-2012 by mountaingirl1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

[ it sounds like a large diesel truck idling, a loud boom box or the bass vocals of Barry White.

Yes! This is exactly the sound that woke me up a couple of months ago and vibrated so loudly that I panicked to the point that I could not remember where my cell phone's normal place is, where it is every night, and I am sure I would not have been able to operate it even if I found it. It sounded like a VERY large diesel truck idling right inside my body, never mind outside!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yes! Once again my reply to a post in this thread.

One eve, my daughter was sitting on the couch and I was in the kitchen (same space as the kitchen is open plan). She jumped up and asked me (very frightened and panicky): "What was that?!" I experienced nothing. She said that she felt a definate vibration and heard a vibrating sound with it. I truly heard and felt nothing, but did not doubt her for a minute.

Yet, she did not wake up from the extremely loud sound that I woke up from on another night. We are both very light sleepers.

I am in South AFrica, by the way.

Have posted all the above experiences on ATS before.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The Windsor hum seems to be coming from Zug Island. Here is an audio of the sound:

Other reports:

www.cbc.ca...

www.ctv.ca...

www.huffingtonpost.ca...

edit on 1/5/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There is also the report from Wall Street Journal.

Canadians Make a Racket Over Mysterious 'Windsor Hum'

That article has a video with it that I found re-posted on Youtube. If you watch the video at about 45 seconds they play an audio clip and it very much reminds me of what I have heard here in East Tennessee & also what StealthyKat has posted from Louisiana.

Sidenote: a few weeks ago my husband & I started noticing very loud booms in our area. One was so loud you could "feel" it. Last night we heard one of the booms and immediately lost our internet connection (but the phone line was still working). Before that happened one of our dogs was nervous pacing around the house. It was very odd.

OiO

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
Could be the earth crying out for them to stop raping it...

Canada disgusts me....

Where does BP come from? UK?

I think you should redirect your disgust else where

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme
post removed by staff

Wow, pretty harsh. Have you never been in a situation where something odd was going on? I have, and the last thing I thought of was triangulating sounds. I was too transfixed on the actual event to think right away to record. By the time it occurred to me, it was over. This is the biggest argument against the sounds I've heard and I have to say, it's faulty. It would be more curious to me if everyone that heard this stuff recorded it from moment one to the end. To me, that would look suspicious, not genuine. However, some of the sounds have been recorded, depending on the type. I've heard the booms and they aren't minutes or hours long, mere seconds long, and happen in unpredictable intervals. Sometimes, the sounds are so low they aren't even being picked up.
edit on Wed May 2 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Its the US Military, digging underneath the River. You guys should prepare for an invasion.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I live within a half mile of a UK military testing and proving range. I am ALWAYS hearing loud booms, hums, the clatter of falling, industry weight steel girders, the thunder of diesel trains, and the faint distant sound of fully automatic small arms fire.

However, I am also aware that there are many other things that can make some very aggravating noises. For example, I am 27 years of age, and human. Despite this, people down my road own those animal repelent sirens, that are SUPPOSED to only operate outside our hearing range. Regardless of what they say on the box they come in, I can hear these blasted things from about a hundred yards off, and they are annoying as all hell. Its like having a pin drill penetrate a penny next to your eardrum.

There are also things like directionally specific speakers which can play a sound to a specific space, without it being audible from an untargeted area... there are lots of cheeky things out there that can play havoc with the hearing.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Interesting that they say it's coming from Zug Island, as it has 2 of the largest blast furnaces in the country in operation there.

If you've ever been around a blast furnace you know that they are loud. The whole building shakes when they turn up the airflow, starts to give a real deep whoop whoop.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

As you live in Windsor can I ask you, if you live on a bedrock that has a high concentration of quartz crystals? Felspar or flint?

When these are vibrated by another source (at this point unknown) they could be vibrating also!
It may be geological rather than USA sonic weapons (although I wouldn't put it past them).

Try to put silk over your head-not kidding-see if that helps.
edit on 1/5/12 by AriesJedi because: Spelling

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Another well-informed opinion from the UK. As someone else pointed out, the sound is coming from Zug Island in Michigan, USA.

Given you showed a picture of oil sands surface mining, here are some facts.

Total area of Canada - 9,984,670 sq km (3,854,085 sq mi)
Total area of the Alberta oil sands - 142,200 sq km (54,700 sq mi) or 1.4 % of area of Canada
Total area able to be surfaced mined - 4802 sq km (1846 sq mi) or 0.05 % of area of Canada
Total area being surface mined - 662 sq km (254 sq mi) or 0.007 % of area of Canada

Total area of Great Britain - 209,331 sq km (80,823 sq mi) not including smaller islands, or 2.1 % of area of Canada
Area of greater London - 1,570 sq km (607 sq mi)
Total area being surface mined for coal in Great Britain - 0.004 % of Great Britain

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join