It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook gears up to announce 'life-saving' tool

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Facebook gears up to announce 'life-saving' tool

www.computerworld.com

Mark Zuckerberg is taking to the network news Tuesday to announce a new tool that is supposed to have the power to save lives.

While Facebook has not revealed what the tool will do, Zeus Kerravala said:

"Facebook has location info, so it knows where you are," Kerravala said. "It also knows who you are and who is in your network, including family. With that kind of information, they could build an applet that allows you to broadcast emergency messages through Facebook."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

"Just think, Facebook could send a push notification to anyone you choose in your network that you're in trouble," he said. "It's now the best, fastest way of sending info to everyone in your life."

This will be interesting to see what Facebook will do. My money is on an emergency app as stated in the article.

www.computerworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
HELP.
I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T UP!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
So it's not enough that my smartphone already has a GPS in it? It's not enough that all the On-Star stuff has my cotton picking car talking to me and making me feel like I've bought an ADT stalker service for my it? Now Facebook wants to be enable stalking as well.

I'm 26 years old, and I'm really beginning to think that I would give up my precious Internet to make all this creepy stalkerish tech junk go away.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Ahh they first track you without you knowing via image location and this pamde people unhappy. They then make a feature that lets you use maps to see where you are, but this made people unhappy also.

Now who can be unhappy about helping to save lives???

Zuckerberg you crook.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
So it's not enough that my smartphone already has a GPS in it? It's not enough that all the On-Star stuff has my cotton picking car talking to me and making me feel like I've bought an ADT stalker service for my it? Now Facebook wants to be enable stalking as well.

I'm 26 years old, and I'm really beginning to think that I would give up my precious Internet to make all this creepy stalkerish tech junk go away.

Siri. Please call an ambulance.

*Take that Apple*

Faqcebook will do it without your awareness. Sweet. Next step, the facebook window app. It stares at you through your window at night and makes you feel uncomfortable in the privacy of your own home!

YOU WILL BE MONETISED.
RESISTANCE IS FUNNY.
edit on 1-5-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
MySpace was way better....

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I think this is an awesome idea...I do have a sudden urge to delete the drama queens/kings from my facebook though....I just know those people will broadcast everything as an emergency.
Ask anyone who works in an ER about what your average joe considers an emergency. (Warning: if you ask someone in the ER profession you WILL receive that ''don't get me started'' glare. Often followed by ''You wouldn't believe how often they just need a good s&*t!''.)
edit on 1-5-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: cause I can thats why

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

To be fair, we do not know what Facebook will announce. The whole emergency thing was only speculation. For all we know, their life saving device may be anything but.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
here's to hoping that it will be some sort of auto-correct program for Facebook...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Whatever it is, I bet it's a huge invasion of privacy. The benefit of this tool is probably an excuse to acquire information.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Whatever it is, I bet it's a huge invasion of privacy. The benefit of this tool is probably an excuse to acquire information.

As is everything Facebook does.

Lets see, they have users personal infromation (acquired through profile and messages, tracking likes, hobbies etc).

They watch peoples messages, and text messages.

Wonder what this "life saving" aspect will be...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Facebook Gears Up to Invade Your Privacy in yet Another Way!

There, I fixed that title for ya.

Come on guys, close your accounts now, this is getting past ridiculous.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Save lives hey?
Must be a tool that destroys facebook

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I think it is just another attempt to make sure everyone is on Facebook, everyone.

Mum: are you going out now?

Kid: yes mum

Mum: make sure you have your facebook switched on in case anything happens to you

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
I think it is just another attempt to make sure everyone is on Facebook, everyone.

Mum: are you going out now?

Kid: yes mum

Mum: make sure you have your facebook switched on in case anything happens to you

Very plausible!!!

By the way, i love your avatar!!! Rossi is awesome!!!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumanCondition

Save lives hey?
Must be a tool that destroys facebook

Dang it!!!

You beat me to it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

You can't just close your FB account.

Unless they've changed that? The last time I checked, you could only deactivate it.

Me? I just ignore Facebook. After all, Mark Zuckerberg doesn't need to know about my masturbation habits or who I talk to or whatnot.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by novemberecho

help iv fallen an.....oh wait you beat me to it

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

you can delete permanently it now but it takes approx. two weeks and if u log back in in that space of time, it gets reactivated. i reckon they still keep all your details though.

eta: www.facebook.com...
edit on 1-5-2012 by ShaithisFerenczy because: add link

new topics

<<   2 >>

join