It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Troops In Neighborhood Streets Fully Armed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The last time the military patrolled Americas streets was in 1865 up to 1 million were killed and countless maimed, the government passed the posse comitatus act. So it wouldn't happen again.

George Bush got rid of posse comitatus so get used to it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I'll worry about whatever I bloody well please.

We have plenty of US opinion in UK threads, so sit down and be quiet.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Being real honest, the soldiers are just following orders and were probably given a generic response in case some one did ask WTH is going on. Needless to say, they themselves won't know exactly why they are doing this either until the time comes. You know, " on a need to know basis" as the higher ups say..... Have to admit, kinda eerie when you see the picture of them in the street of an ordinary neighborhood, though..... The thought of "what if" comes to mind.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

I'd rather have troops patrolling here than in other countries..... Other countries should pay us for our protection.....

I love your ‘DAVE’ avatar but the response was a bit ridiculous!

You’d like troops patrolling here? In the US? Ever heard of the constitution or Posse Comitatus?

Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
link

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Does that apply to the NG though? I didn't think it did.

Also, doing exercises will not come under such an Act, otherwise you would never be able to train your own troops on US soil..

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Does that apply to the NG though? I didn't think it did.

NG are under the control of the State Governor but even the NG can only be used in civilian areas under very limited circumstances. It’s pretty rare that any forces (NG or regular) train in cities. You are partially right, friend.

Also, doing exercises will not come under such an Act, otherwise you would never be able to train your own troops on US soil..

In the Marine Corps we call it MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain) training and we conduct it on a military base. Often times there are entire ‘mock” urban areas set up for these simulations. There is no need (other than convenience) to do it in an actual urban environment. Keep in mind that it isn’t always convenient or financially feasible for NG units to find a base to conduct such training.

Conditions described in the OP are rare.

edit on 1-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
National Guard units have been cycling through there yearly 2 weeks out of the year training requirements. If we look going back about a decade plus you will see military units have trained in cities large and small, from this town to Los Angeles.

State Guard units are not subject to Posses Commitatus.

The cities where this type of training occurs usually hold hearings and give the public a good amount of heads up time to ensure there are no crossed wires. There was a town in North Carolina where the local guard unit went out with the police and participated in training that had military doing law enforcement function support. The towns people approved it and any person who entered the training areas were told that if they don't wish to participate to just let the officer / soldier know and they would move on.

It worked out pretty well...

The, for lack of a better term, paranoia on this site along with the conflicting views is... goofy...

People bitch about our military being overseas, demanding they be brought home to help secure fix things here. Then, every time something like this comes up, the same people complain the military is instituting martial law or has sinister intentions.

Contrary to popular belief our soldiers are not created.. They are living human beings who, if they dont train, wont be effective on the off chance they are ever needed.

If anything, how about we tell them thanks for serving, and reserve the speculation / questions for the public affairs / commanding officers.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I am aware that although the US military has mock towns they could train in, I am also aware that many military bases are essentially, self contained towns with thier own stores, bars, and in some cases movie theatres. They often have extensive residential areas devoted to serving personel and thier dependants.

Would it not be less disturbing for the general public if the national guard were to use a military base as a training ground for an afternoon? For a start, everyone on base would be used to armed men, and better able to instantly assess and understand the excersize than citizens who arent used to these things. Also, keeping such training on base would prevent people outside the military umbrella from observing the tactics and methodology of the national guard, which means thier operational style would be less obvious to potential home grown terrorists and anti government militia.

Just seems more like good sense to keep the whole shabang out of eyeline to the public really.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by stumason

Go back to your tea and crumpets.

Don't worry about the affairs of us here in the states.

That is a rather ignorant and off topic statement!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

they could also be dummy weapons
simulated road marched in the Army called for dummy weapons at times,

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nvprose1

Out of my 8 years experience the only 2 times dummy weapons were involved was during swim qual and boot camp. That being what it is a blank firing apparatus is only 5 dollars and leaves little room for anyone to not understand the weapons are not in firing capability I just think that the BFA would have been a good way to go for the public and other outsiders to observe that a training op is in progress. Dummy weapons are expensive and trust me when I say time with weapons handling is valuable, weekend warriors need the time handling real weapons, it also allows for small unit leaders to assess the posture, maturity, and responsibility of their small teams and squads by evaluating all these things such as how they maintain their personal serialized gear, handling abilitities, how they react to the population, etc etc. the use of real weapons is essential.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
I would also like to note that in the picture provided I do not see any BFA's attached to the muzzle of those weapons, I could be wrong here, as a marine 0311 when we did training like this in simulated combat towns with OPFOR and role players we always had a BFA attached unless we were doing live fire simunition exorcises. It could mean they are not armed (which I'm pretty sure they are not but the lack of the BFA makes me wonder) I think the population would welcome this better if they had one attached as I was under the impression that is SOP

BFAs are only used when one intends to F Bs. Since they presumably were not planning on scaring the neighborhood by firing blanks, they did not have BFAs.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
that is just a mock drill to get the peoples ready for a Russian takeover
approved by our own government..
God Help Us all.. soon we will all be in fema camps owned by the UN

edit on 1-5-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Screw that, I am gonna be a wolverine

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Did these armed National Guard actually do anything during this training exercise to warrant any sort of paranoia?

How do people expect the National Guard to train and prepare for situations where you may actually need them to patrol the streets etc unless they actually train?

If it was occurring on a regular basis and if they had tried to 'police' the area or enact suppression tactics or the like then I would be a tadge suspicious and wary myself, but a one off training exercise of this nature is nothing to be too concerned about in my opinion.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
Out of my 8 years experience the only 2 times dummy weapons were involved was during swim qual and boot camp.

And arguing from a point of authority is a fallacy. Though I respect your position here you are trying to convey what you experienced as a soldier is systemic and widespread to others. There are some who were in the military who never saw a rifle that was loaded with live rounds and only trained with "dummy" weapons. Your experience doesn't speak for all.

That being what it is a blank firing apparatus is only 5 dollars and leaves little room for anyone to not understand the weapons are not in firing capability I just think that the BFA would have been a good way to go for the public and other outsiders to observe that a training op is in progress.

At least you are trying to convey a sense here.

Dummy weapons are expensive and trust me when I say time with weapons handling is valuable, weekend warriors need the time handling real weapons, it also allows for small unit leaders to assess the posture, maturity, and responsibility of their small teams and squads by evaluating all these things such as how they maintain their personal serialized gear, handling abilitities, how they react to the population, etc etc. the use of real weapons is essential.

While I agree with the later assessment, how do you figure that "dummy" weapons are expensive? If we are talking about MILES then yes it is, but if we are talking about giving soldiers a full clip of blanks or removing the firing pin, cost isn't really a factor here.

Usually such movements through town, may it be active duty or "weekend" warriors (though most reservist and guardsmen have been serving more time than active duty in some services) would be presented towards the town.

Me thinks we are only seeing one side of the narrative that wants to be vocal about this....

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

That's not true, as a matter of fact I've used BFAs too many times to count without using blanks especially during mout training as an instructor requirement for BUST and CQB, and then probably a million and a half times doing training during Mohave Viper, they have you do this to ensure the role players that your weapon is condition 4 or condition 3 (minus rounds) this is part of the reason most of them are painted yellow or red like the muzzle of a toy cap gun. My experience may very a thousand fold from yours but I have used the BFA extensively during training ops, my point being is that if they were training perhaps a BFA wouldn't have been a bad idea for PR and it still allows the troops true ability to handle their very real, serialized weapon.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

MILES gear requires the use of a real weapon, a thermo-fired laser device, a BFA, and blanks along with the receiver gear and that irritating noise box. Now a dummy weapon for a state sponsored NG unit can get expensive if they already have weapons, all I'm saying here is that a BFA may be a good route to take in future ops and it allows or soldiers to handle their real weapons as national guard soldiers don't usually get as much time with their weapons as active soldiers, I think it would be a win win situation the public sees them doing what they do with brightly colored boxes on their muzzles it would help deter fear mongering and BS. That's all I'm saying, personally idk why they were doing that op the way they were or anything like that but if it were my training op that is what I would've done us all.
and as a correction I'm a Marine, not a soldier.

B-Man

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
so, they're training in RESIDENTIAL STREETS?

guess for what!

no conspiracy drama needed, if they're training on residential streets it can only be for one thing...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Looks to be a bunch of 11Bs going on a road march.

A lot of paranoia on this site and, yes, I understand it's a conspiracy site but come on. Seems every day I hear how the govt are taking my guns and we've lost our freedom, yet I will be going to a gun show this weekend, then to the range shortly thereafter. I think the weapon manufacturers started this whole "govt takin my guns" to boost sales, there's a conspiracy for you!

It's a small town, weekend drill with limited facilities. If I were the armory commander, I'd probably march the troops down quiet neighborhood streets as well. Sorry, I don't see anything sinister in this photo. Perhaps I've drunk the proverbial Kool-Aid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join