It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military found under-reporting insider attacks in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
A very telling story today by The Guardian and the AP claims that US is under-reporting attacks against US troops by ‘friendly’ forces within the country of Afghanistan.

In recent weeks an Afghan soldier opened fire on a group of American soldiers but missed the group entirely. The Americans quickly shot him to death. Not a word about this was reported by the International Security Assistance Force, or Isaf, as the coalition is formally known. It was disclosed to the AP by a US official who was granted anonymity in order to give a fuller picture of the "insider" problem.

Isaf also said nothing about last week's attack in which two Afghan policemen in Kandahar province fired on US soldiers, wounding two. Reporters learned of it from Afghan officials and from US officials in Washington. The two Afghan policemen were shot to death by the Americans present.

Last Wednesday, an attack that killed a US army special forces soldier, staff sergeant Andrew T Brittonmihalo, 25, of Simi Valley, Califronia, also wounded three other American soldiers. The death was reported by Isaf as an insider attack, but it made no mention of the wounded – or that an Afghan civilian also was killed.
link

TPTB spin news to support their narrative. As a US Marine veteran who spent time overseas I do understand that many things that happen on both sides go unreported. This is one of the many reasons some US troops have the issues they have. Many who report atrocities or conflicting reports of events are chastised by their peers and forced to live in silence. Living with the things we’ve seen is a huge contributing factor in the rise of PTSD cases and suicides witnessed over the past 10 years.

In comparison, the suicide rate of veterans vs non-veterans really shows the effects of these added stresses.

Everyone in every country has a family member who served in war at some point. Let’s not let our personal feeling about the reasons used to justify the wars we’ve witnessed cloud our judgment and make us cast blame on those who have served. Our attention should be focused on those who intentionally deceive us, like our government and TPTB who craft stories and manipulate news to direct our anger in a desired direction.

I ask that you direct your anger (the anger we share) at the right party. Rather than demonizing US veterans or those within the Afghan military who truly are doing the right thing we should look at news like this objectively and not be forced into a certain mindset. We should all form our opinions and beliefs based on personal life experiences and facts rather than on what we’ve been told by those who wish to deceive us.

Thing’s aren’t what they appear to be but the truth is in there somewhere! There are some Afghans who are fighting to rid their country of lunatics while others are corrupt (much like some within US and UN countries). Does anybody believe we’ve been told the complete truth about the countless wars we’ve seen over the past 10 years? Does anyone believe what we’re being told about the conditions on the ground now? I’m wondering where all this insanity will lead us…

edit on 1-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Thats one of the most intelligent posts I have read on ATS. Being anti-war I must admit,I am a little harsh on the soldiers at times. I know they are pretty much all good people.

And Im from Australia,there have been many Australian Soldiers killed by Afghan Military recently. It must be very hard wondering if an Afghan Soldier that is supposed to be on your side is going to turn his weapon on you. Seems to be a big problem.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
War is Hell.~William Tecumseh Sherman

Unfortunately,People snap. It happens.Its more of a problem,for those serving,I believe. The daily bombardment of having to do a Job,Many cant,or couldn't do. I will always be grateful for those who serve. Anyone that believes this is a easy job,needs to get their heads fixed.

For those who have these thoughts,for those who cant handle it anymore,and this goes for those who are in the Military,those out of the Military,and those who never stepped foot in the Military,there is help for you.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

The call is free.You are NOT alone........

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Thats one of the most intelligent posts I have read on ATS. Being anti-war I must admit,I am a little harsh on the soldiers at times. I know they are pretty much all good people.

Thank you!

And Im from Australia,there have been many Australian Soldiers killed by Afghan Military recently. It must be very hard wondering if an Afghan Soldier that is supposed to be on your side is going to turn his weapon on you. Seems to be a big problem.

It’s nothing new; happens during every war.

Not everyone is on the same page in any war or on any issue and there are people who infiltrate and/or change sides. We should all look at what we’re told with a LOT of skepticism and understand that the media is no longer on the side of truth.

Thanks for the response.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

War is Hell.~William Tecumseh Sherman

Very true!

Unfortunately,People snap. It happens.Its more of a problem,for those serving,I believe. The daily bombardment of having to do a Job,Many cant,or couldn't do. I will always be grateful for those who serve.

Everyone has a breaking point. If people in the military were heartless, uneducated, psycho killers we are portrayed to be (by some) then obviously the things we’ve seen and/or done wouldn’t weigh so heavily on our conscience (or heart).

Anyone that believes this is a easy job,needs to get their heads fixed.

I agree…but I think more people believe it’s just a brainless job reserved for the poor and uneducated, which is simply a stereotype. Most who serve come from good families and a good upbringing and their heart is in the right place. At least that’s been my experience.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I agree…but I think more people believe it’s just a brainless job reserved for the poor and uneducated, which is simply a stereotype. Most who serve come from good families and a good upbringing and their heart is in the right place. At least that’s been my experience.

You nailed it.

I just don't know about the Afghanistan military though. I would think many militarys,are the same,all the world over,minus the training and expertise,for the most part. I wonder if the Afghan Military even has a program,for those who are maybe in the position to have a mental breakdown. I also don't know how they go about recruiting their recruits. If they have a strict protocol,a psych evaluation,etc...... I think this should be MANDATORY for EVERY Military.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I just don't know about the Afghanistan military though. I would think many militarys,are the same,all the world over,minus the training and expertise,for the most part.

I think that’s safe to assume…

I wonder if the Afghan Military even has a program,for those who are maybe in the position to have a mental breakdown. I also don't know how they go about recruiting their recruits. If they have a strict protocol,a psych evaluation,etc...... I think this should be MANDATORY for EVERY Military.

You know as much about the Afghan military as I do. I don’t even personally know a single person who served in Afghanistan (I served in Iraq in 03’ and got out in 04’). They obviously aren’t as trained or educated as US citizens (3rd world country) but heart is heart and family is family. I met some Iraqis who had a lot of heart and patriotism. Many of those guys had the same wants and desires I have (just like the Israelis, Brits, Aussies, Canadians, Italians, etc that I met on deployments). There are good and bad people in every clime and place.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Thats one reason I never joined the military. It's kinda hard to defend against a domestic enemy if they just ship you off wherever the hell they please. But afghanistan is a hell hole and it doesn't surprise me that the MSM doesn't report it. We really should be getting out of there, but the word is, that more will be deploying soon.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Great story and narrative on the problems here. S/F!

I think what we're doing to and asking of our Military men and their families is just insane and bordering on criminal as a society. Vietnam sucked by all accounts. I saw what it did to my late Father and grew up learning about it. That was a 12 month tour though. Many of these guys now are 5 and 6 or MORE combat tours. Many of those aren't the mini-tours of some of the Service units who go over, but started with the stop loss 'it's however long they feel like making it' crap of the early years.

It's time to bring 'em home...and I think your stats show it well. If Obama doesn't have the courage to just get it done and stop doubling down into a bad situation over there, then I say, institute the draft. The public will insure the war is over inside 3 months of the first honest to goodness draft notice landing in someone's box.

As far as the Afghanis, I'm just sick about what we've done over there with this. Those aren't Afghani military in most cases from how I'm reading these stories. These are AQ and/or Tribal relations to be loyal to the Taliban side and infiltrating. Rather than turning against our guys, I believe we're seeing fighters fulfilling their whole purpose for ever joining the Afghani Army. That's the army we helped rebuild and structure.
Err... OOPS doesn't cut it.

Oh well... their problem. Time to cut bait because I just can't see it getting better, ya know? The guys over there won't ask to come home. They're too proud. It needs to be ordered, so lets see the order come.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Thats one reason I never joined the military. It's kinda hard to defend against a domestic enemy if they just ship you off wherever the hell they please.

But just as we civilians get fed BS by the media, military members get fed BS about their mission by the shot-callers. I felt I was doing the right thing most of the time I served. It wasn’t until I saw some things with my own eyes and saw the intentional misinformation that I began to see what was going on.

But afghanistan is a hell hole and it doesn't surprise me that the MSM doesn't report it. We really should be getting out of there, but the word is, that more will be deploying soon.

I haven’t heard that! I bet we’ll be in Syria and/or Iraq soon though…it appears to be in the NWO plans.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yeah there will be another deployment around November if not before that. I guess they're gearing up for armageddon. The number of troops to be scheduled for deployment is a secret.

But on a different note. How many do we have here right now?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Great story and narrative on the problems here. S/F!

I think what we're doing to and asking of our Military men and their families is just insane and bordering on criminal as a society. Vietnam sucked by all accounts. I saw what it did to my late Father and grew up learning about it. That was a 12 month tour though. Many of these guys now are 5 and 6 or MORE combat tours. Many of those aren't the mini-tours of some of the Service units who go over, but started with the stop loss 'it's however long they feel like making it' crap of the early years.

Thanks! And I know what you mean about the many tours! I was fortunate in only serving a few months in Iraq. Some of the boys coming home these days have been there on and off for YEARS of cumulative service. I can empathize but I really don’t know what they’re going through. Really sad!

It's time to bring 'em home...and I think your stats show it well. If Obama doesn't have the courage to just get it done and stop doubling down into a bad situation over there, then I say, institute the draft. The public will insure the war is over inside 3 months of the first honest to goodness draft notice landing in someone's box.

Draft is a bad deal but I agree with your sentiments. It’s time to stop the war.

As far as the Afghanis, I'm just sick about what we've done over there with this. Those aren't Afghani military in most cases from how I'm reading these stories. These are AQ and/or Tribal relations to be loyal to the Taliban side and infiltrating. Rather than turning against our guys, I believe we're seeing fighters fulfilling their whole purpose for ever joining the Afghani Army. That's the army we helped rebuild and structure. Err... OOPS doesn't cut it.

Most are infiltrators or traitors I believe. There are more incentives to turn to the dark side in an environment like that…much like Mexico and the control the drug cartel have there; you either help yourself and your family by helping the cartels or you and your family live a rough life.

Oh well... their problem. Time to cut bait because I just can't see it getting better, ya know? The guys over there won't ask to come home. They're too proud. It needs to be ordered, so lets see the order come.

With the misinformation we’re being fed it appears that they’re making a case for further involvement…that’s the problem!

Thanks for the response!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Ooh did someone say draft. Thats not a good deal at all. Think about it. If all of our troops are deployed and an attack is launched on American Soil and they reinstate a draft. Not that I am afraid of being drafted as I am post that point, but think of the indoctrination that has been going on since 9/11. The boy scout troops training with DHS and so fourth, now thats a scary thought.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

The days when draft would even work are over.

Only @ 2% of all American’s have served in the Military. The majority of people are far too skeptical of the government these days to allow their children to be drafted. There aren’t enough cops in the country to round up the dodgers!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by seabag

Ooh did someone say draft. Thats not a good deal at all. Think about it. If all of our troops are deployed and an attack is launched on American Soil and they reinstate a draft. Not that I am afraid of being drafted as I am post that point, but think of the indoctrination that has been going on since 9/11. The boy scout troops training with DHS and so fourth, now thats a scary thought.

Oh the draft is the best thing that could happen right now. The American people would finally drop the frggin ding dongs and turn off the boob tube long enough to get mad about something. When little Johnny isn't volunteering but being flat out TOLD he WILL be serving starting on xx date and there is prison as the only alternative, today's American will outright demand peace or impeachment before someone can say boo.

I'd say it's the fastest way to end the war. Service in the peace that follows might actually build some character into the next generation. Military service in peacetime is a great thing too.

edit on 1-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

And why do you think that is? The reason the budget is short so they are calling for less and less police is because they want more Union control of Law Enforcement to push the Oath Keepers out and replace the entire system with DHS. Then they will use gestapo like tactics.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh the draft is the best thing that could happen right now. The American people would finally drop the frggin ding dongs and turn off the boob tube long enough to get mad about something. When little Johnny isn't volunteering but being flat out TOLD he WILL be serving starting on xx date and there is prison as the only alternative, today's American will outright demand peace or impeachment before someone can say boo. I'd say it's the fastest way to end the war.

Ya, you may have a point; as a practice though the draft would never fly.

Service in the peace that follows might actually build some character into the next generation. Military service in peacetime is a great thing too.

I do feel strongly that more American’s should serve for that very reason, and hopefully they’d all do so during peacetime.

Service to one’s country is a good thing IMO…

I understand the reasoning behind a decision NOT to serve these days though - It’s a different country we live in now. I want the old version of USA back!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

And why do you think that is? The reason the budget is short so they are calling for less and less police is because they want more Union control of Law Enforcement to push the Oath Keepers out and replace the entire system with DHS. Then they will use gestapo like tactics.

TPTB want a small, manageable police force just as they want a small, manageable civilian population.

I think the gestapo tactics will be on full display in the coming weeks and months. At some point we may all truly be a united 99%.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I hear ya on the old version of America. I've actually pulled back a bit in how I talk/debate with some people as I've come to realize the age ranges now that never formed solid memories of a time where America wasn't at War.

That is such a sobering thought and it ought to wake people at night. It only been a little over a decade ago, too. Such a LOONG period though eh? Such a change in the whole world in such a brief period.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You may be right about that. When the big guns come out I think most Americans will be able to stand with a common purpose again. The trouble makers throwing molotov cocktails and looting businesses will be dealt with in an orderly fashion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join