It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am an Orthodox Christian and Historian; Almost Everything Most Know About The Church is False

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

HAHAHA!

Remember, that's not even the original list of commandments...where's the one about the second or third son being brought before the Lord twice a year?

Do I need to look it up again? ah, here we go...

I. Thou shalt worship no other god.

II. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

III. The feast of unleavened bread thou shalt keep.

IV. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.

V. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest,
and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end.

VI. Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord God.

VII. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.

VIII. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

IX. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.

X. Thou shalt not seethe a kid [ie, a young goat] in his mother’s milk.

These are rather different from your version...I wonder why?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by arpgme

So, do you believe you are a God?

I don't.

Aha. Regardless of what the bible says you are only stick to your beliefs...

reply to post by autowrench

Wow. I did not know this. Very insightful. I always wondered where the word "ecclesia" (Church in Latin) comes from...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Can you explain the anathemas of the Catholic Church? Seems they consider everyone heretics.

No. I never learned about anathemas. Guess I flunked the Scribe test. I never heard anyone talk about this. You want an explanation from a Catholic source:

www.newadvent.org...

I looked up the word to let others who maybe didn't know the word learn it:
www.merriam-webster.com...
a : one that is cursed by ecclesiastical authority
b : someone or something intensely disliked or loathed —usually used as a predicate nominative
a : a ban or curse solemnly pronounced by ecclesiastical authority and accompanied by excommunication
b : the denunciation of something as accursed
c : a vigorous denunciation : curse

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Yet more evidence that the church is not what it claims to be...

And that Christians do not fully understand the organizations they so proudly participate in.

Fools will be fools...especially if it feels better than being clever.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

HAHAHA!

Remember, that's not even the original list of commandments...where's the one about the second or third son being brought before the Lord twice a year?

Do I need to look it up again? ah, here we go...

I. Thou shalt worship no other god.

II. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

III. The feast of unleavened bread thou shalt keep.

IV. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.

V. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest,
and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end.

VI. Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord God.

VII. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.

VIII. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

IX. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.

X. Thou shalt not seethe a kid [ie, a young goat] in his mother’s milk.

These are rather different from your version...I wonder why?

Riiiight. And i supposed those are the real commandments eh? No source for it huh? Looks like you dug that up out of the Talmud.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Exodus 34, Old Testament.

Exodus

I don't even know what the Talmud is. And I don't care.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Since you claim to be an historian you should realize that the term "dark ages" has no historical validity and is no longer recognized by scholars except in limited areas. The caricature of the period is reflected in a number of more specific notions. For instance, a claim that was first propagated in the 19th century is that all people in the Middle Ages believed that the Earth was flat. In fact, lecturers in the medieval universities commonly advanced evidence in favor of the idea that the Earth was a sphere. According to Lindberg and Numbers: "There was scarcely a Christian scholar of the Middle Ages who did not acknowledge [Earth's] sphericity and even know its approximate circumference".

Other misconceptions such as: "the Church prohibited autopsies and dissections during the Middle Ages", "the rise of Christianity killed off ancient science", and "the medieval Christian church suppressed the growth of natural philosophy", are all examples of widely popular myths that still pass as historical truth, although they are not supported by current historical research. They help maintain the idea of a "Dark Age" spanning through the medieval period.

[edit] Quotations reply to post by TruthSeekerMike

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
]Originally posted by WhoKnows100

Originally posted by DominusIlluminatioMea

Except Catholics pray to Mary, do they not? Therefore making her an idol.

We ask her to intercede (help, pray) for us with the Lord. If we worshiped her that would be a different story. An idol is a false God.

"Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen"

Do you obey the 4th commandment? So does Jesus. He honors his mother, as should all of us. When Jesus was dying and gave Mary to John to be his mother, He also, through this act made her our Mother.

Marian dogma was not created without reason. When some people over time began to question beliefs about our Our Lady, then the Church made the dogma to clarify the Church's belief. The link discusses the four Marian dogmas.

www.netplaces.com...

BTW Muslims respect and honor Mary as the greatest woman. They believe Jesus was born to a virgin and the Koran talks in much greater detail about Mary than does the Bible.
en.wikipedia.org...

It a pity that so many Protestants ignore Mary. She gets more respect from the Muslims.

edit on 5/1/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

Christians place no importance on Mary, for she is simply the blessed woman who gave birth to Jesus. But we choose NOT to ignore God's Second Commandment which the Catholic Church removed in order to allow idol worship;

4“You shall NOT MAKE for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5You shall NOT BOW DOWN to them OR WORSHIP THEM; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6but showing love to a thousand [generations] of those who love me and keep MY commandments."

When one can say that they worship the One True God yet WILFULLY agrees to church dogma in direct opposition to the scriptures of the one they purport to worship, there is no justification. Veneration of Mary is stating that she was a blessed woman - no bowing, no image, no worship. Anything more is spirtuall fornication and the eating of foods (doctrines) sacrificed (worshipped) to idols (demons). Jesus is the ONE MEDIATOR between God and man.

"This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey GOD'S commandments and remain faithful to Jesus." Revelation 14:12

It is the crux of the argument. One chooses to obey God or man-made church dogma of the "Queen of Heaven".

We worship God.
We venerate Mary.

Catholics do not consider Mary to be God, so how can we be making her a false God? Your argument is lame.

"This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey GOD'S commandments and remain faithful to Jesus." Revelation 14:12

Yes, it does. I have patiently endured all your allegations. You can not even venerate the Mother of God. That is your loss. Do you think Jesus will be angry with me because I love His Mother?

Mary is not Goddess of the Universe she is Queen of it. big difference.

Like I said, my church is not the whore of babylon. The Mother of God is not the whore of babylon. You are the most judgmental person I have ever have the displeasure of knowing. You are self-righteous in that you have smugly passed judgement. If you are doing God's will I am a kangaroo.

Try broadening your perspective a tad bit:
en.wikipedia.org...

Devotion to the Virgin Mary does not, however, amount to worship - which is reserved for God; e.g. both Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox view Mary as subordinate to Christ, but uniquely so, in that she is seen as above all other creatures. In 787 the Second Council of Nicaea affirmed a three level hierarchy of latria, hyperdulia and dulia that applies to God, the Virgin Mary and then to the other saints.[7][8][9][10]
[quote

edit on 5/1/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add something

edit on 5/1/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

We worship God.

Why? Why worship, when you can respect?

What is there to be gained in debasing yourself?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DominusIlluminatioMea

Except Catholics pray to Mary, do they not? Therefore making her an idol.

We ask her to intercede (help, pray) for us with the Lord. If we worshiped her that would be a different story. An idol is a false God.

"Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen"

Do you obey the 4th commandment? So does Jesus. He honors his mother, as should all of us. When Jesus was dying and gave Mary to John to be his mother, He also, through this act made her our Mother.

Marian dogma was not created without reason. When some people over time began to question beliefs about our Our Lady, then the Church made the dogma to clarify the Church's belief. The link discusses the four Marian dogmas.

www.netplaces.com...

BTW Muslims respect and honor Mary as the greatest woman. They believe Jesus was born to a virgin and the Koran talks in much greater detail about Mary than does the Bible.
en.wikipedia.org...

It a pity that so many Protestants ignore Mary. She gets more respect from the Muslims.

oooooh, so sad, well how about you go set up your own wee Roman church in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia and see how much "respect" you get compared with setting it up in a majority Protestant country

Have a word with yourself

Protestants view Jesus as the son of God, Muslims don't, yet their, in your eyes, elevation of Mary trumps that

Nuff said

edit on 1-5-2012 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Acknowledging that there is a God and worshiping him does not make me feel debased in any way. If you feel that way I think you have issues with having a higher power. I am a creature not the Creator.
edit on 5/1/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

It is impossible for me to answer a post where I am supposed to be defending thoughts I don't have. Frankly, I don't get where you are coming from at all.

edit on 5/1/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: more info

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

When you see religion wherever you turn you begin to understand the stranglehold it has on the world. When I read of all the people who have died in the name of religion and I see the destruction of history, and the propaganda that took its place I cant help but have an opinion that I feel I need to share. When I see its symbolism or influence in our justice system, our schools, our politics, our historical monuments, and every other place it could conceivably stick its nose in, I will fight for the emergence of the truth.

Excellent post renegade! Organized religion is THE deception that keeps us in fear of God and rejecting his grace. Religion keeps you from knowing God and keeps you blind as to what God is really like! Sadly, some confuse religion with Jesus, and walk away from them both, God and religion are separate entities that get intertwined together by man. ALL pagan religions are controlled by Satan! The elite created religion as a tool for control with a hidden agenda that aims to blind and misguide you away from the truth.

"Every major religion in the world has been manufactured or infiltrated by the Illuminati to enslave and brainwash society. In essence, religion was the first form of mind control. The indoctrination of the masses by a "Trojan Horse" false religion has allowed the Illuminati to take control and work in secret for many, many years."

Originally posted by DumbTopSecretWriters
"The Illuminati have an agenda to make people intolerant to religion, and it is constantly being mocked in the media. People are being conditioned using clever psychological techniques into believing that religion is nothing more than fables of the ancients. Destroying the belief in God is their top priority. They want to make religion irrelevant by discouraging people to study it because the deeper someone looks into religions, the more they see the truth behind them which ultimately reveals more about the Illuminati’s purpose and goals. Do not fall prey to such conditioning. If you already have, then you need your bhoota slapped with a chappal to sort you out."

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
"...the 'Zionists' are what the Bible calls the Synagogue of Satan,they corrupted the legitimate worship of the living God eons past .Their job and their mission is to stand between humanity and all truth about ourselves and The True God, it is difficult to find TTG but worth the search. they don't want you to know that you and TTG belong to each other and are part of each other . It's long story,and better people than me have explained it great detail. Contrary to those who say there is no evidence of TTG there is actually mountains of it ..no pun intended."

edit on 1-5-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekerMike
Jesus didn't write a book or start a philosophy, he started a Church. It lives, unchanged to this day in pure Apostolic succession without central leadership or any desire to control anyone.

Well, in a lot of the Gnostic texts, the Apostles are portrayed as clueless sycophants who only want someone to give them rules to follow and prayers to babble. Only a few are taught the harsh truth of existence -- that life is a cruel joke created by an insane entity, and even if there is a true creator God, it is an unfathomable mystery and as such prayers and other rituals are useless.

So I'm not all that sure that a faith carried on from the Apostles would be all that wonderful anyway, since few of them understood or were even told the true teachings from the beginning.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

So, you don't get on your knees to show respect?

Getting on your knees is implying you are not only unworthy and undeserving, but below the god in every way.

Doing this ritually is debasing. If a man told you to get on your knees, wouldn't you feel debased? But yet it feels right when a being you've never seen asks that you do it?

By god, you zealots make no sense. One day, I'm going to stand there laughing when you realize, to your extreme horror, that everything you believed in is false. Where will that leave you?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
OP....nope.....no sir, no apostolic succession is to be found in the bible.....
your leading post is flawed

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
For those of you searching for spiritual wisdom, please keep in mind that the actions of SOME persons claiming to be Christians, regardless of how evil or despicable, do not negate the teachings of Christ.

I happen to have been born into the Greek Orthodox Church. As a child I felt like an outsider when kids naturally asked what church I went to. Some didn't believe it was even Christian. In college I fell away from the faith and embraced the concept of science answering all.

In my thirties, I began wondering about the nature of existence. I looked everywhere except my church. Imagine my surprise when I came back not to find a bunch of 1st and 2nd gen Greek men smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee after the service, but hundreds of Protestant converts who told me much their lives have changed since embracing Orthodoxy.

There is something incredibly spiritual, a tangible energy that I find to transport me to a solemn place where I get a one on one connection. I'm certain it has something to do with the chanting. Each and every priest has an unbroken chain of the laying of hands to the Apostles. No other church can say that.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

not doubting your own personal experience, but you speak of protestant converts, yet you drifted from the very same church, and I am sure there are other personal experiences where Orthodox people have changed to Protestantism?

Fair enough, you can only give your own personal experience, and I'm not knocking the Orthodox side of things, would be interesting to find out more

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Um, the 4th commandment is "Remember the Sabbbath and keep it holy.

Um, the 4th commandment is 'honor thy father and mother that thou will have a long life'.
Oh wait .. that's right .. you use that book that Martin Luther mucked around with.
Good luck with that.

9/10 of them came from the egyptian book of the dead.
The one missing from the Book of the Dead ... keep holy the sabbath.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You mean to say that not even the ten holy commandments are original?

Millions of people worldwide are basing their lives on a work of mass plagiarism?

Wow...now THIS is dirty stuff...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join