It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live on the West Coast of N. America. What do I do about radiation?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
As the title says...

Moving is not much of an option. I have to eat food. I work outside in the rain. What actual options do I have beyond the suggestion of 'iodine'?

We're not eating ANYTHING out of the Pacific. We've recently stopped eating local meat and dairy. Cant really stop eating vegetables, too.

Suggestions? Are we all just being zapped and there's nothing to be done?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You've already been bathed in it for a year now...

A little late to worry, My advice, indoors when it rains, and washing of foods.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
My wife is 4 mos pregnant.....We live outside of Seattle.

Not awesome.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
If you're that concerned get a Geiger counter but not necessarily a cheap 1950-60ish civil defense one (not sure if they still work correctly).

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
If you're that concerned get a Geiger counter but not necessarily a cheap 1950-60ish civil defense one (not sure if they still work correctly).

I just started looking into one today, actually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
edit on 30-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Potassium Iodide

Potassium iodide (also called KI) is a salt of stable (not radioactive) iodine. Stable iodine is an important chemical needed by the body to make thyroid hormones. Most of the stable iodine in our bodies comes from the food we eat. KI is stable iodine in a medicine form.

Following a radiological or nuclear event, radioactive iodine may be released into the air and then be breathed into the lungs. Radioactive iodine may also contaminate the local food supply and get into the body through food or through drink. When radioactive materials get into the body through breathing, eating, or drinking, we say that “internal contamination” has occurred. In the case of internal contamination with radioactive iodine, the thyroid gland quickly absorbs this chemical. Radioactive iodine absorbed by the thyroid can then injure the gland. Because non-radioactive KI acts to block radioactive iodine from being taken into the thyroid gland, it can help protect this gland from injury.

www.bt.cdc.gov...

You should only take potassium iodide (KI) on the advice of emergency management officials, public health officials, or your doctor.

There are health risks associated with taking KI.

Advice from the DOTgov site. Personally I'd move, your life is worth more than money.
If it's not an option, look into external protections as well as internal.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
As mentioned, iodized salt, That can help prevent thyroid issues.

Beyond that, live your life as normal. You're not a bovine calf so I don't know why you (or any other HUMAN for that matter) would drink cow's milk, and there are plenty of other ways to get calcium, and you synthesize vitamin D by being in the sunlight.

If you're really worried, don't ingest anything positive for beta or gamma radiation, and you should probably avoid anything positive for alpha radiation. You should probably avoid direct sunlight too, unless you need vitamin-D. Don't eat anything with C13 or C14.

Heck, don't eat anything... even bread. Everyone who has consumed bread has died so bread should be considered one of, if not THE most common causes of death.... Oh, and no water either since everyone who's ever drank water has died....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

"Personally I'd move, your life is worth more than money. "

indeed, but people here haven't the slightest clue! Fukushima doesn't exist in minds locally.
i'm in vancouver and it's literally a non-factor.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Heck, don't eat anything... even bread. Everyone who has consumed bread has died so bread should be considered one of, if not THE most common causes of death.... Oh, and no water either since everyone who's ever drank water has died....

I'm not concerned about dying of old age, smartass.

I'm concerned about the food i feed my growing kids.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

it's not really a coastal thing so much as it's a hot spot related thing and seems to be determined by prevailing winds. there are places in the US and UK that are hotter than Cali so don't sweat the details on that. if you're concerned do some research and keep some eyes on these threads.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

dont make decisions based on fear, that's much more dangerous to you than current rad levels. learn about it, stay informed and make educated decisions.

edit on 30-4-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I can't answer your question, but perhaps there are posters at the thread below that you may wish to contact:

Radiation tracking on the west coast. Volunteers needed
by jlafleur02
started on 3/12/2011 @ 07:32 AM

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

I'm not concerned about dying of old age, smartass.

Thanks for noticing the sarcasm.

I'm concerned about the food i feed my growing kids.

Then, import your soil from somewhere with lower Geiger readings and plant / grow your own food.

Otherwise, realize that radiation is normal- it surrounds you all the time.

You're probably getting more radiation from EME like power lines, Wifi and such than you will get from any other source in you, or your growing kids' lifetimes.

edit on 4/30/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Potassium Iodide

Potassium iodide (also called KI) is a salt of stable (not radioactive) iodine. Stable iodine is an important chemical needed by the body to make thyroid hormones. Most of the stable iodine in our bodies comes from the food we eat. KI is stable iodine in a medicine form.

Following a radiological or nuclear event, radioactive iodine may be released into the air and then be breathed into the lungs. Radioactive iodine may also contaminate the local food supply and get into the body through food or through drink. When radioactive materials get into the body through breathing, eating, or drinking, we say that “internal contamination” has occurred. In the case of internal contamination with radioactive iodine, the thyroid gland quickly absorbs this chemical. Radioactive iodine absorbed by the thyroid can then injure the gland. Because non-radioactive KI acts to block radioactive iodine from being taken into the thyroid gland, it can help protect this gland from injury.

www.bt.cdc.gov...

You should only take potassium iodide (KI) on the advice of emergency management officials, public health officials, or your doctor.

There are health risks associated with taking KI.

Advice from the DOTgov site. Personally I'd move, your life is worth more than money.
If it's not an option, look into external protections as well as internal.

I remember stories about Russians drinking mecurachrome and iodine out of the medicine cabinet. Not a good idea because it can kill you....

I would first get a geiger counter. Once you can determine if there is a concern you should be worried about.

these cantaminated particles are not a great problem unless you ingest them or get them internally somehow.....

Ebay geiger counters

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

You're probably getting more radiation from EME like power lines, Wifi and such than you will get from any other source in you, or your growing kids' lifetimes.

What makes you so confident?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Yes, I've been reading up on Geiger counters all day. I'd like a good one, but dont really know where to start. I see ones on ebay from about 200-1000. Pricey for a toy i dont know how to use.

Tips?

Links?

I'm interested in testing some of the sea food in the area this year...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
My wife is 4 mos pregnant.....We live outside of Seattle.

Not awesome.

Watch your diet, avoid the rain and do the usual things to mitigate your exposure. I think you can take comfort in the fact that being born with a tail and/or flippers does not carry the same stigma it used to, tails especially are quite easy to remove these days and we all know a pair of flippers = good swimmer, 4 flippers = great swimmer.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I live on the west coast,too,and share your concerns. I don't have the added stress of raising young children, though my heart goes out to all parents of young ones who see the world that lays ahead for them to navigate.

A lot of the joy of eating has gone by the wayside for the members of this household,too! Just learning about the GMO's and what all is done to meat was one thing,then to add to that the gulf oil disaster and then Fukishima...! It's one thing after another,isn't it? (Fluoride,High fructose corn syrup,chemtrails,...etc,etc,...)

All I can say is that it helps to believe that there is more to life than meets the eye.

Hopefully you have a spiritual belief that gives you the strength to cope with whatever happens and a faith that says to you that this earth isn't the final destination!

There's some good info to be found at this site about Fukishima and the like...
www.rense.com...

And don't forget to count your blessings,regardless of how bad things seem,there is always something to be thankful for in spite of the gloom and doom.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'd move outa that area. The cost of living is way too high. Oh, I forgot, this is about high radiation levels not
cost of living levels.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

/me confident? Okay.
I've done EME surveys and found overhead power lines emit RF at far higher levels (2-3 times higher) than cell phone towers and such.\

And I know that if you don't open your windows, you may be a victim of radon poisoning.

Next question?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

He may have thought things thru, a bit more than you and I and he realizes that fear, isn't going to help a damn
thing. Not that you or I are showing fear. But it could be perceived as a bit weak to be asking such a question
of people, when you have the whole web and the obvious ability to find out for yourself. So this weakness could turn to fear and beyond that, I think if we are to die ? Confidence at least looks far better than fear.

Hell I could be way off. Prolly the rads.

edit on 30-4-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join