It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths biggest climate change proponent finally wakes up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
James Lovelock realises he was being an alarmist. Climate change is bogus and I call hoax on the whole thing. Lets all wake up and spend our valuable time on real issues!!!

www.theweek.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
You must have watched that "If I wanted America to Fail" video too many times. I agree global warming is a hoax because it is semi-preposterous to even think we could effect something so vast as the earth, even as violent and self-centered as we are. However that doesn't mean we start mowing down every tree and polluting the seas, destroying algae. We don't dig up every oil well we can get our hands on. # it, I'm all in. Let them destroy the diluted mindset of society. We all need real change, not technological change, not economic change, I'm talking about escaping modernism. I want to participate in technological growth, but not at the expense of my state of mind, which is inevitably affected. [end soapbox lecture]

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wishful1gnorance
it is semi-preposterous to even think we could effect something so vast as the earth

There are around 7 BILLION of us. Our atmosphere is a carefully balanced thing, as most things in nature are. Think how much we have changed the surface of earth, our atmosphere is very thin, like a layer of vanish on a tennis ball.
edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

The Earth has experienced far worse climactic disorder; than anything we could hope to contribute too. Life will find a way. We are just one race. While the breadth of our ignorance affects many species, it will not destroy the Earth. If that's what you are worried about, you're wrong. Will we leave a climate preferably inhabitable for us? Unlikely, but that's not a big surprise.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonathanNicholas
James Lovelock realises he was being an alarmist. Climate change is bogus and I call hoax on the whole thing. Lets all wake up and spend our valuable time on real issues!!!

Lol, you call 'hoax on the whole thing' even though the guy you cite clearly states he still believes in global warming/climate change?

From your article:

learly aware of the potential for his statements to be misused by people with axes to grind, he was careful to state, when asked whether he is a climate sceptic: "It depends what you mean by a sceptic. I'm not a denier... We will have global warming, but it's been deferred a bit." Read more: www.theweek.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

reply to post by SpearMint

The Earth has experienced far worse climactic disorder; than anything we could hope to contribute too. Life will find a way. We are just one race. While the breadth of our ignorance affects many species, it will not destroy the Earth. If that's what you are worried about, you're wrong. Will we leave a climate preferably inhabitable for us? Unlikely, but that's not a big surprise.

So is your argument that as long as we dont destroy the actual planet, all is well. Even if we destroy the very life-systems we as humans rely on?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Let me respond with a question, what truly relies on humans? The rest of nature doesn't function because we inhabit Earth. The Earth will experience turmoil as it has before and will continue living. If we survive, so be it. Otherwise, in the atheistic collaboration, "that's evolution baby!" Is it so wrong to look past the human mindset to see that the universe may have bigger plans than our comfort?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

reply to post by stanguilles7

Let me respond with a question, what truly relies on humans? The rest of nature doesn't function because we inhabit Earth. The Earth will experience turmoil as it has before and will continue living. If we survive, so be it. Otherwise, in the atheistic collaboration, "that's evolution baby!" Is it so wrong to look past the human mindset to see that the universe may have bigger plans than our comfort?

I have to say, I find your user name incredibly apt.

Personally, I think if we can see HOW we are destroying the system we rely upon for life, then YES, it makes sense to do something.

Your argument pretends you dont care if we kill ourselves. I find that highly doubtful, and willfully ignorant.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yes, those puny humans barely able to reach the moon, split the atom, nearly deplete the oceans of large fish, ravage the forests of their well being, and cause the extinction of species on this planet greater than 1,000X the background rate pre-agricultural revolution....

How could they possibly disrupt something as vast as the climate....

Lovelock never said it was a hoax.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Climate changes, has done since forever and it will continue to change with or with out humans.

personally i prefer global warming as it is a bit cold outside.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

I have to say, I find your user name incredibly apt.

Personally, I think if we can see HOW we are destroying the system we rely upon for life, then YES, it makes sense to do something.

Your argument pretends you dont care if we kill ourselves. I find that highly doubtful, and willfully ignorant.

The point is, we can't. We have no effect. Certainly what we have done is only temporary. The fact that you think you can change the climate of the earth by driving different cars and stop throwing styrofoam into the oceans, or reducing reliance on nuclear and coal power, and switching to hydro-, wind-, solar-power is wishful ignorance. The Earth's climate will change as inevitably as the Sun will explode.

And btw, I don't care if we kill ourselves. Sure WE will cling and fight for life, as death is our greatest fear; but people die, that's life. We need to stop trying to play god.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wishful1gnoranceswitching to hydro-, wind-, solar-power is wishful ignorance. The Earth's climate will change as inevitably as the Sun will explode.

And btw, I don't care if we kill ourselves. Sure WE will cling and fight for life, as death is our greatest fear; but people die, that's life. We need to stop trying to play god.

While I'm not so well at all in my life right now. Living on just enough to not starve, got no savings, no wife, no kids, no possessed. In other words, I got nothing to lose, I possibly got nothing to look forward to, I'm not afraid to die.

I still value life quite well, I would strive to help others whenever I can. Whenever I have free time, I'm also striving to continue my research on alternative energy sources on very little resources, ahh the irony.

It's not the bad you see in the world that matters but if you can change the world for the better, no matter how insignificant you might think it is or no matter how wishful the idea is. The first step always begins with you, not the lazy way of hoping that everything ends now!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Lovelock is not earths biggest climate change proponent. he IS an environmentalist. just because he says we've deferred climate change a bit does not mean he now believes we had nothing to do with it!

the end of the article even says he's got another book coming out about how we can change our behavior in order to regulate the earths systems. in other words he fully believes we affect the earth and the climate.

i think you may have missed that part of the article.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Earths biggest climate change proponent finally wakes up

I thought that was Al Gore! DRATS! I read the headline and immediately pictures a remorseful Al Gore (with his beard, he looked good in the beard), admitting he was wrong and admitting his carbon credit scam was just for him to make a pile of money off gullible people. I pictured him returning his Oscar and admitting the real inconvenient truth ... that it was all a hoax.

Oh well ... I guess there is still time for him to come clean ....

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

Originally posted by wishful1gnoranceswitching to hydro-, wind-, solar-power is wishful ignorance. The Earth's climate will change as inevitably as the Sun will explode.

While I'm not so well at all in my life right now. Living on just enough to not starve, got no savings, no wife, no kids, no possessed. In other words, I got nothing to lose, I possibly got nothing to look forward to, I'm not afraid to die.

I still value life quite well, I would strive to help others whenever I can. Whenever I have free time, I'm also striving to continue my research on alternative energy sources on very little resources, ahh the irony.

It's not the bad you see in the world that matters but if you can change the world for the better, no matter how insignificant you might think it is or no matter how wishful the idea is. The first step always begins with you, not the lazy way of hoping that everything ends now!

My point isn't stop doing good cause we're f****d, I am not Larkin. If you look back up to my earlier point I think this will make a little more sense, out of context, it seems I'm just a pessimist. I'm not, look at my signature, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world". I live by that, of course I want to put something into the world that is beneficial. Even small changes cause the butterfly effect, so obviously ever point counts. But the self-centered mindset of humans, and their thought provoking debates on global warming and climate change are not things we can deter or affect. Maybe in micro-climates we can make change, for instance the smog levels over Cali in the early 90s. Obviously something could be done about it, stop the cause and there will be no effect.

However on the scale of the Earth and life that inhabits it and it's longevity, we have no lasting effect; only temporary escalations and retractions. If we melted 50% of the earth's surface with lethal radiation levels, life would still continue, either we'd evolve, or die. Other life will continue, and long after the radiation levels have ceased, life will continue. If the earth decides to throw us from it's back, it will, If it perceives us as a threat, it will wipe us out, either through disease or natural disaster. Still to the point, this doesn't mean we root up every tree, and suck up every oil well. To allow national policy to give way because of this, is ridiculous.

I know my points seems contradictory to a degree (or completely) but they do line up in a metaphysical aspect. F*** the human race, but don't purposefully destroy it. Don't believe the hocum, but respect the idea. Don't be passive, but somethings won't change. You can make a change, but not really. That is our reality, and until we can focus on making ourselves less reliant, more prosperous (not profitable), invest in knowledge and moral development across the globe, we will never see the changes we pursue. As long as power and greed dictate human life, it's futile to make 'utopian' changes.

top topics

join