It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog's neck slashed in grooming accident. (Consumer warning)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The hot summer is coming and dog owners especially those of long haired dogs will do well to read the article and story as an alert and heed the warnings therein.

While the few groomers I've met are competent, caring and loving people, there do exist a few groomers who are incomptetent. In many places, dog groomers are not trained at all or even caring. In fact, some just hang a shingle and declare themselves open for business.

Opening a business involves rendering a service in as short a time as possible too. Using scissors is time consuming, so most will argue that shavers are much more expedient. The problem with using scissors without a comb placed between the scissor blades and the skin is that scissors can cut skin. A razor however can grab the fur and as the story below says, an animal can get cut.

Joey the injured animal is healing, but the owner was shaken. So she went to the press. Given the animal's history, I wish she had insisted on remaining with him for his first trim. However she didn't. Perhaps it's the business policy of that particular shop, but that surely could be negotiated, could it not?

In any case, here's the drama that unfolded.

“The groomer called and said, ‘I was shaving him and I cut him real bad. You need to come now’,” Shannon Mills told Go Public.
“I panicked. I wasn’t sure we would be able to get him to a vet before he bled out on the floor. I had never seen an injury like that on an animal before.”

When the story broke, at first the business would not cover the vet bill. However, upon reflection the owner of the shop who was not the one who groomed the dog, thought better than to stick to that attitude, perhaps fearing and realizing what national publicity could do to her business.

Read the story here.

**Please note: The puppy is adorable, but one of his two pics does show the injury. **

If you go to a groomer who demands you sign a release and no-blame waiver, then be warned.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and remember that you are an advocate for your pet.

There was an interesting thread by Mblahnikluver yesterday looking for advice when someone is suspected of being a seedy dog groomer. I hope you take the time to read it, as there is some good advice in there.

edit on 30-4-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This happens because anyone can just walk in and apply for the job.
I don't trust people so I cut my dog's hair myself.
I read a similar story a while back about a groomer cutting the tip of the dog's ear off and
super glueing it back on. What an idiot.
Got all infected and what not.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Shaving with the clippers is safer than "cutting" with scissors. The clipper blades are the same as the one your barbers use. A # 0 clipper blade goes down to the skin. A #1 clipper will leave small stubble and the higher up the less close of a shave you get.
If the dog was abused early on in life then I doubt it was being a good customer and sitting still while getting groomed. Even the calmest dogs hate clippers and scissors cutting around the ears and face. If a dog is jumpy it will be hard to groom.
Only conspiracy I see is that the injury was blamed on putting a thumb through the skin VS. a clipper. It looks exactly like a clipper mark. The dog jumped pretty hard to go that deep though.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That's the third recent horror story I've heard about groomers.
That poor dog.

I have a Shihtzu, who needs trimming at least once a week, and I don't care how "not right" his fur looks, I will never take him to a groomer. I'll just keep on doing his uneven trims myself.

One of the other stories, was a small furry dog that had a piece of his ear cut off, and the groomer glued it back on, hoping the owner wouldn't notice.
Another awful story was about a groomer that told the owners that they lost the little dog, and then someone admitted that they didn't lose him, they put him in with a bunch of big dogs, and they ate him.
That was even hard to type, that last sentence. Absolutely horrifying.

There should be strict training, licensing, and certification for groomers.

Never, never, are any of my dogs ever going to groomers.
edit on 30-4-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
who the hell was grooming ,Sweeney todd

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
If the dog was abused early on in life then I doubt it was being a good customer and sitting still while getting groomed. Even the calmest dogs hate clippers and scissors cutting around the ears and face. If a dog is jumpy it will be hard to groom.
Only conspiracy I see is that the injury was blamed on putting a thumb through the skin VS. a clipper. It looks exactly like a clipper mark. The dog jumped pretty hard to go that deep though.

I get your point. That's why I put in the OP that I wished she had remained with the dog.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
That's the third recent horror story I've heard about groomers.
That poor dog.

There should be strict training, licensing, and certification for groomers.

As informed consumers, we should also be asking if they have liability insurance. There is a movement afoot by reputable groomers to have certification brought in for the industry.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Hello,
I am looking to buy a real pair of clippers for doing my dogs and to possibly get into professional grooming as well. Experienced groomers, what are the best kind of clippers and any other tools (scissors, thinning shears, brushes, etc ) do you use and recommend on a daily basis. I have bought some from Pets mart for like 60 bucks and then after 5-6 haircuts they are junk! Also they heat up and make lines in the dog's coat.

pet meds
edit on 26-9-2012 by Truimph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Truimph

What type of dogs own you
and how furry are they?

I just use a good pair of smallish hair cutting scissors on my Shihtzu, and am extra careful. If I'm cutting around anything too close, I put my hand between the dogs skin and the scissors.
I have cut the palm of my hand a couple of times when my other dog has barked at the door, making the Shihtzu jump. Better me than him, I figure.

I only trim the fur around his eyes when he's too tired to be fidgety.

If you're getting into professional grooming, practice practice practice.
I wish you lots of luck.

edit on 26-9-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

new topics

join