It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Supermoon' Returns this week.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I always love it when it is supermoon time. I enjoy sitting behind my telescope all night enjoying the views. Also surfers will be happy with the higher tides associated with it. So get out and check it out and enjoy the bright moonlight.

Source

Skywatchers take note: The biggest full moon of the year is due to arrive this weekend.

The moon will officially become full Saturday (May 5) at 11:35 p.m. EDT. And because this month's full moon coincides with the moon's perigee — its closest approach to Earth — it will also be the year's biggest.

The moon will swing in 221,802 miles (356,955 kilometers) from our planet, offering skywatchers a spectacular view of an extra-big, extra-bright moon, nicknamed a supermoon.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Doesn't this usually precipitate earthquakes?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Babooshka77

why then don't we have earthquakes every 28 days?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Thank you for the heads-up usmc0311 !

It's always nice to take advantage of when the moon is at it's most beautiful.
I hope is isn't as cloudy as it's been recently where I'm at.

I've missed daylight Venus due the bothersome clouds.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Neat! My oldest was born during a supermoon event. She was almost 3 weeks late in the middle of summer during a heat wave, and I thought I was going to lose it.

However, the supermoon appeared around 2:00 am and suddenly that baby wanted out. As we drove to the hospital in the dead of night, the moon looked absolutely huge, gorgeously orange, and took up a great deal of the sky. I'll never forget it.

That kid still gets kooky during full moons.

I'll be sure to look out for it this weekend, thanks for letting us know!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
On 3-23-2013, I posted a thread, May 5th & 6th full moon affect, but I put it a predictions forums, it was taken like I was literally predicting an earthquake between may 7th and 10 th, but I added a person who successfully finds earthquakes patterns when the moon distance being closest, and patterns with supermoons, its exactly what people here are talking about but getting more serious attention because this thread was placed in space forum not predictions. Same topic different forum.

edit on 30-4-2012 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Babooshka77
Doesn't this usually precipitate earthquakes?

I don't think there is any real evidence to prove it but with a slightly higher gravitational pull anything is possible, especially if their is a fault close to breaking free. I doubt it could be the actual cause of a quake but with the right circumstances who knows what could happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by usmc0311

Thank you for the heads-up usmc0311 !

It's always nice to take advantage of when the moon is at it's most beautiful.
I hope is isn't as cloudy as it's been recently where I'm at.

I've missed daylight Venus due the bothersome clouds.

Your welcome. I too have been fighting the clouds but did get to see Venus yesterday for a bit. Now we are cloudy and rainy again but at least we are in a warming trend here.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Now that's a story you will remember forever. Must be a wild child. Hope all stays calm for you this weekend. And hopefully no more softball size hail for you either. Stay safe.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
On 3-23-2013, I posted a thread, May 5th & 6th full moon affect, but I put it a predictions forums, it was taken like I was literally predicting an earthquake between may 7th and 10 th, but I added a person who successfully finds earthquakes patterns when the moon distance being closest, and patterns with supermoons, its exactly what people here are talking about but getting more serious attention because this thread was placed in space forum not predictions. Same topic different forum.

edit on 30-4-2012 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

On March 23rd, 2013, eh? A post from a year in the future, suck it, 12/21/12 doomsdayers!

Hopefully, the sky is clear for the full moon, I'd love to get a picture of it. Not that it's anything special, but it's still an entrancing object up there to look at.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
There is a correlation between the Supermoon and large quakes. Check out this website, the man who coined the term "Supermoon" explains it best.
www.astropro.com/forecast/predict/2012-all.html

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gemdog

There is no correlation.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Got this via email.

Source

top topics

join