It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What The Hail!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Last night, areas around Lubbock, Texas got hit with some nasty hail. I thought I would share some photos with you, courtesy of people who posted them on www.kcbd.com...

Storm season is upon us, and Texas no longer has the La Nina conditions to protect it from the violent weather. We got a reprieve last year, but not this year.

The first one was taken by me, as the storm was forming about 75 miles away;

The next pictures are some of hail and the damage that it did:

This photo was taken by a local storm chaser, beautiful in it's fierceness!

For those of you in the eastern parts of west Texas, watch yourself tonight, as the same conditions exist and these storms could fire up again. Head's up and be safe!!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
wow thats deadly stuff falling from the sky be carful in texas glad im in alabama no bad storms last few months

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This is what we had in the St. Louis area on Saturday.

Blammo!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

Storm season is upon us, and Texas no longer has the La Nina conditions to protect it from the violent weather. We got a reprieve last year, but not this year.

Texas was protected last year? from what? You had severe forest fires and extreme drought.
I wouldn't consider that you had a reprieve last year.

I'd figured you guys would be cheering for rainstorms.

yeah hail sucks, but after last year, I wouldn't think you guys would mind if it comes with rain.
edit on 30-4-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'd take a geiger counter to that frozen moisture before playing around with it .

Also, since I wax the hell out of my car about once a week, if my hood looked like that, I would be on a ledge somewhere !?!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

We were protected from severe storms. This is Texas, after all, and there is always something severe out here...Whether it is thunderstorms, hail, tornadoes, wind, dust storms, drought, flooding, hurricanes, wildfires, blistering heat or freezing blizzards, there is always something insane going on in this state.

Considering the radiation coming with the rain from Fukishima, I was grateful that we didn't get more than 3 inches of rain all last year, because most of the radiation drops down with the rain.

I stand by my statement.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I'd take a geiger counter to that frozen moisture before playing around with it .
reply to post by gypsychology909

EXACTLY. This is formed from Pacific moisture. With all the rain that California received in the past year, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole west coast glowed at night.

We didn't get a drop where I live, this all happened just east of here, with some places reporting up to 5 inches of rain.

And yeah, the hail damage on vehicles is pretty upsetting. There is always a big "hail damage" car sale at some lots after they are hit by hailstorms. You can get most of the dents out, but not all of them. I wondered what guys out here meant when they would say a heavy woman had "hail damage" on her thighs, until I saw a hail-damaged car.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

The hail appears, to my untrained non-professional eye, to be composed of lots of smaller balls stuck together whereas I would have expected it to be one solid ball. But like I said, I know nothing of monstrous hail or the regular hail much. Cool pics.
Nasty damage.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Maybe this could help. A little loud but who knows.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

I looked up hail cannon, because I'd never heard of that before.

From en.wikipedia.org...:

A hail cannon is a shock wave generator claimed to disrupt the formation of hailstones in the atmosphere. These devices frequently engender conflict between farmers and neighbors when used,[1] because they are repeatedly fired every 1 to 10 seconds while a storm is approaching and until it has passed through the area, yet there is little or no scientific evidence for their effectiveness.

I could get away with a hail cannon out here (nearest neighbor is a mile away), but it doesn't look to be that effective. Neat idea, though! Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ronnypeppers

I have friends who have lived in Alabama for years. Lately y'all have been somewhat lucky when it comes to severe weather, but it's still Alabama, so enjoy it while it lasts!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Wow! Cool hail pic! Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
All I know is that if I lived where hail got that size...
...I wouldn't park a shiny new firebird out in the open.

Why the hail wouldn't you have a garage or covered carport?

Great pictures!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

I agree, but it was parked next to a mobile home, so I assume they either couldn't afford a carport structure (the kits to build one start at $600, then you have to add concrete to anchor it down unless you want it to blow away), or they are renting.

I hate to admit it, but our garage is full of junk and so our truck is parked out in the open.

I'm sure that person's Firebird is insured, but they're gonna be bummed when they have to pay the deductible plus the insurance company will most likely raise their rates.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

im here with a camra and an umbrella when the wind finally blows this way

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

No problem. That's my own pic. I can attest the damage it caused.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
i saw that hail was hitting that area but hadn't seen any pics yet. yikes! i'm glad that didn't hit my area. i'm expecting a hail storm or two before the season is over. we didn't get any bad storms last year.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
We had Ping pong ball sized hail at my house here in Louisville Ky two nights ago. Lasted for about ten minutes.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well that certainly puts British hail to shame.

new topics

top topics

join