It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highly Religious People Are Less Motivated by Compassion Than Are Non-Believers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Highly Religious People Are Less Motivated by Compassion Than Are Non-Believers
www.sciencedaily.com...

In three experiments, social scientists found that compassion consistently drove less religious people to be more generous. For highly religious people, however, compassion was largely unrelated to how generous they were, according to the findings which are published in the most recent online issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science

Uh oh, no they didn't...

The results challenge a widespread assumption that acts of generosity and charity are largely driven by feelings of empathy and compassion, researchers said. In the study, the link between compassion and generosity was found to be stronger for those who identified as being non-religious or less religious.

Oh yes they did... what did they find?

When they looked into how much compassion motivated participants to be charitable in such ways as giving money or food to a homeless person, non-believers and those who rated low in religiosity came out ahead: "These findings indicate that although compassion is associated with pro-sociality among both less religious and more religious individuals, this relationship is particularly robust for less religious individuals," the study found.

but wait... there's more:

In the second experiment, 101 American adults watched one of two brief videos, a neutral video or a heartrending one, which showed portraits of children afflicted by poverty. Next, they were each given 10 "lab dollars" and directed to give any amount of that money to a stranger. The least religious participants appeared to be motivated by the emotionally charged video to give more of their money to a stranger.

So... what was concluded?

"Overall, this research suggests that although less religious people tend to be less trusted in the U.S., when feeling compassionate, they may actually be more inclined to help their fellow citizens than more religious people," Willer said.

Man... and to think the high horses that many deeply 'religious' people ride in on, and use their religion as a label and crutch in order to define their actions, and that they are of some kind of righteous measure of morality and active participants in the helping of those less fortunate, or even the community as a whole.

Also, I may have presented these findings with bias that distracts from the whole of the information available in the article, I suggest reading the entire article before taking what I have to say to heart.

btw, I love the stories of Jesus and the philosophy carried with in... but like many have stated before:

I love many aspects of religion, especially Christianity, I just wonder when people will actually practice what they preach.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just some more...

Anti-Religion Poppycock.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Jesus was Anti-religion my friend...

Perhaps you didn't know that?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'll say that 101 people is hardly a decent sample-size. Also, highly religious people are less compassionate than less religious people and non-believers, not just non-believers. There's a big difference.

Frankly, with what I see of many non-religious people, I strongly suspect that it's the less religious people who make up that difference. I say this because every single non-religious person I know tends to be very "cerebral". That type of personality lends itself beautifully to logic and analytical thinking, not so much to more emotionally based things like empathy or compassion.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

That type of personality lends itself beautifully to logic and analytical thinking, not so much to more emotionally based things like empathy or compassion.

What if....

Logic and analytical thinking is the prerequisite to emotion in some cases. Meaning... the more that someone is to analyze the conditions of other people and the circumstances that surround them, then gives construct towards the emotions that one generates.

Then Logic, would imply that people could then realize that other people are just like them, and equal in their creation in relation to our pursuits of happiness. This then would give rise towards empathy....

One is not with out the other... in regards to logical and analytical thinking being conducive towards emotion.

It is the logic and analytical thinking of religions that are conducive towards a certain set of emotions... just like any other set of philosophies and moralities.
edit on 30-4-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: clarification

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
"Being an atheist is self-evidently life affirming in a way religion can never be"

Richard Dawkins said this and I think it ties in with the article.

Without a heaven to come, non-religious people must learn to totally appreciate the here and now. Not waiting for a holistic tomorrow.

There is no heaven for me,

I must understand that paradise, equality and enlightenment are here, right here, for me to experience. Compassion walks toe in toe with that, as this may be MY very last moment,

may be YOUR very last moment.

Non-religious people live with this every second and are compassionate to others because of it. Well, more compassionate than the religious folks,who with contempt in their words, think my actions will have me burning in hell.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by InspirationEverywhere

"Being an atheist is self-evidently life affirming in a way religion can never be"

Richard Dawkins said this and I think it ties in with the article.

Without a heaven to come, non-religious people must learn to totally appreciate the here and now. Not waiting for a holistic tomorrow.

There is no heaven for me,

I must understand that paradise, equality and enlightenment are here, right here, for me to experience. Compassion walks toe in toe with that, as this may be MY very last moment,

may be YOUR very last moment.

Non-religious people live with this every second and are compassionate to others because of it. Well, more compassionate than the religious folks,who with contempt in their words, think my actions will have me burning in hell.

Perfect example of what I meant when I said:

Logic and analytical thinking is the prerequisite to emotion in some cases. Meaning... the more that someone is to analyze the conditions of other people and the circumstances that surround them, then gives construct towards the emotions that one generates.

For one to be immersed in religion, often time results in a separate from what is real. This is not to say all, but on some level it is present amongst a majority of them. Their very acknowledgment and/or adherence to such a premise that many religions set forth as to the reason for life and what our reality consists of, further pushes people from all sorts of paradigms and perspectives of those who are sharing the very same reality.

This then translates into the emotions that they will exhibit, for they have already created a strenghtened cognitive bias that aims to distort their perception as to how to relate to the world and those around them. This is the very basis for rhetoric that aims to play on what is not commonly understood. All you have to do is present a compelling story and/or rhetoric above the concept threshold or knowledge threshold of the audiance, and you will appear smarter and find your way into leadership. This is exactly what many of religions in fact do.

They address the issue of, what is the purpose of life, where did we all come from, the hows and whys that basically nobody can for certain answer. Which is becoming increasingly difficult, as science is answering much of these questions, and the role of religion in governance is weakening.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Jesus could have told you that.

Luke 10:25-37

New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Bible

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Bravo. As in...very brave....good for you for posting this.
My life experience shows the same phenomenon....

SnF

reply to post by InspirationEverywhere

Atheism is not the issue. Compassion is the issue. I am not an atheist, neither am I a "highly religious" person. I simply believe that if we don't take care of each other, we will all perish. That is what Christ taught...the Golden Rule. And many before him, and after him.

No "religion" required.
edit on 30-4-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2012 by wildtimes because: grammar. ugh

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Meh,

another anti-Christian propaganda thread on ATS,

not really surprising.....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

edit on 30-4-2012 by wildtimes because: never mind....*sings to self: temper, temper, temper, temper......*

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm not going to be directly responding to people but just know this,

I am now wearing the Armor of God and going to let it soak up most of the blows I take on here, and I will not be wielding His Mighty Double edged sword as often, not will I respond directly to people criticizing me

ANYTHING that is not FOR CHRIST,

is ANTICHRIST!

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

Meh,

another anti-Christian propaganda thread on ATS,

not really surprising.....

For real? This is now to be thought of as an anti-christian thread? wtf?

I don't recall bashing any said religion, I don't remember the article in which I presented actually naming any specific religion, I don't bash Christianity, and I was not all that aware that Jesus Christ was so pro-organized church, oh wait, the church's are filled with false doctrines, that's right.... they all can't be right, right?

This thread is not an attack against any religion, it is only to promote discussion as the role and impact of religions. Negative or Positive, you can make that distinction as to their roles... these are only the observable traits exhibited by those who are highly religious vs those who are not. NOTHING MORE. also to point out some hypocritical aspects taken by many that claim to be religious... which is something I'm sure you're aware of...

Jesus *strongly* denounces those who *falsely* claim to worship the true God:

“*Many will say* to me: ‘Lord, did we not prophesy, expel demons, & perform many powerful works in your name?’ Yet I will confess to them: *I never knew you! Get away from me*, you workers of lawlessness. --Matthew 7:21-23

"You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you: ‘This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshiping... because *they teach commands of men* as doctrines.’” --Matthew 15:7,8

"“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees [the false religious leaders of his day, which correspond to those of today], hypocrites! because you resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. In that way you also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside *you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness*." --Matthew 23:27,28

answers.yahoo.com...

just thought I'd toss some of your beloved scripture into the mix to reiterate my last point....

So yeah... go on with your Anti-Christ labeling, it's real good for the soul...

BTW... How many faces does the devil have? Or, better yet, what does this face look like?

new topics

top topics

join