It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind Farms Warm Earth By 0.72 degrees C (1.3 degrees F) at Night

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

They push air.

No, I think you will find that air pushes them.

They are a complete waste of time anyway and not one single one would have been built if there had never been any subsidies.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname
reply to post by pasiphae

Well leave it to FOX to come up with a title that is completely ripped out of context.

So obvious.

Here's the letter in 'Nature Climate change'

Best to go to source

Except that then you have to pay for it. Damn it, it's not right. I forget that because I work in a Tertiary Institution I have free access. My opinion is that everyone should have access.
edit on 30-4-2012 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2012 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Well, I've always been a reader... But I just had to register!

In Portugal over 15% of our energy comes from wind farms and that percentage is going to increase.

And it's not getting hotter in my country.

Maybe it's just an american problem?
Maybe it only gets warmer/hotter in oil producing / nuclear energy countries.... I wonder why?

If you want to know more about wind farms in Portugal, you can explore this site

www.eneop.pt...

(The english version is kind of outdated and it does not have all the information, there is more information on the portuguese version... maybe you could try it with an online translator).

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Not really news. Many vineyards and orchards use windmills to keep the crops from freezing.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
[I posted this in a duplicate thread, but found that this was still relevant]

...and coal-fired power plants do not, right?

Look, if you're going to be producing energy you're going to be creating warmth as a by-product, just due to the fact that there will be heat lost. It's incredibly hard to keep energy from escaping once you've harnessed it. When electricity flows through transmission lines up to 30% of that energy is lost to the atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Posted in another thread, duplicate.

Very stupid to take it out of context by the media like that, as local warming from wind farms is very old news.
----------------------------
I couldn't get the article from the OP to load, but I believe I found a sister article:

Large wind farms might have a warming effect on the local climate, research in the United States shows, casting a shadow over the long-term sustainability of wind power. Read more: www.montrealgazette.com...

Where does it mention "global" warming, it specifically says it affects local climates...

----------------------------

Not to say it won't have an impact, though it should be looked at without blowing it out of proportion. Bottom line is there is no energy source in the world that isn't going to make changes in some way...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Oh, sweet lord. Another headline which totally distorts the actual data, which talks about a very, VERY localized effect that in no way is making a noticeable impact on global temperatures.

It's a shame none of you read past the headline.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Wind farms do not warm the earth.

In order to warm the earth, they would have to generate heat.

They do NOT generate heat.

They push air. Hot and Cold. Nothing more.

This is the most blown out of proportion propaganda I have EVER read.

DO NOT DRINK THE WORM!

where to begin... lol

1. Yes they push air, they do not necessarily(actually they do) generate heat. The concern is in regards to the distribution of already layered volumes of air with differencing temperatures.
edit: LOL, no they don't push air, silly me, I'm actually getting dumber by the minute reading some of these responses.

2. It's not about 'Warming Earth' necessarily, as in terms of raising the temp of the Earth as a whole. The concern is about regionaly, or the surrounding areas of the windfarms. If you were to read the article, it mentions the concern with farms in Texas because of the already drought like conditions that many are suffering.

3. This is not propaganda, nor is it 'blown out'. You decided to blow it out of proportion, by not understanding what the issues being addressed are. Also, it is not propaganda, it is only to bring awareness to current issues surrounding the developement of renewable energy. That is called news, news consists of reporting, reporting consists of mans interpretation, our perception is bias, the audience is bias.... why get caught up in the propaganda blame game, and learn to read between the lines. Well I'd suggest that this article was fairly straight forward, you can spin it all you want.

edit on 30-4-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional statement

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Oh, sweet lord. Another headline which totally distorts the actual data, which talks about a very, VERY localized effect that in no way is making a noticeable impact on global temperatures.

It's a shame none of you read past the headline.

It's getting worse by the day, I swear...

Once upon a time, people used to actually read the entire article before making ignorant comments... now people just want to react before even knowing what they are talking about, resulting in even more ignorance. What happened to 'Deny Ignorance' psshh.

The greatest example in the world of this can be found here:
OMG! 22 Earthquakes hit California in Less Then 7 Days!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Man, what a showcase of craziness...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Wind energy is the source of electricity generation with the least impact on the environment. It does not emit any pollutant during the entire duration of the operation phase. Even bearing in mind the whole life cycle and the manufacturing of the wind turbines, the difference between this source of energy and others is considerable.

Source: www.eneop.pt...

I know most americans do not want wind energy. That is because the oil and nuclear lobby is very strong.
That is why wind energy in your country is being explored by companies from other countries, countries with no such lobbies because they have no nuclear energy or oil.

EDP is a portuguese company.... you know Portugal, the tiny country, that is so tiny, that some times americans think is part of Spain.

and look

www.horizonwind.com...

(and there are other countries doing the same)

As a portuguese I say: "Thank you, in the name of my country, for the investment opportunities you are offering us.

If I was an american I would not be that happy... If I find out in some years time that... being out of oil... maybe with security concerns about nuclear.... I find that most of the renewable energies are controlled by other countries.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Okay, that's it! That is absolute B.S.! This is probably something someone(s) in the big Oil Industry has put out there, trying to turn science against itself with the most absolute ridiculous claims, to try and "prove" how stupid people are and will believe anything those in charge feed them. Unfortunately for them (including people like DICK Cheney), we the people aren't as stupid as these corporate and political leaders think we are.

By the way, people breathing breathe out heat. Maybe that will be the next absurd solution, everybody should STOP breathing, because WE are creating too much heat from breathing!
edit on 1-5-2012 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join