It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've got a bridge to sell you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Czech metal thieves dismantle 10-ton bridge
Metal thieves in the Czech Republic dismantled an entire 10-ton bridge and more than 650ft of track.

A Railways spokesman, Pavel Halla, said the cost of the theft was worth millions.
"The thieves said they had been hired to demolish the bridge, and remove the unwanted railway track to make way for a new cycle route," he said.
"It was only after they had gone that checks were made and we realised we'd been had.
The cost of replacing the bridge will run into millions." Scrap metal theft has can cost millions to the victims.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Dodgy or what-the things folks will do these days for scrap metal!!
In the UK they only pinch wire from places,but a whole bridge?
That is hardcore.

Apologies for original thread mess up.

edit on 30/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: more words added

edit on 30/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: yes

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

No, I don't like it.
Keep your invisible bridge.

Ok there it is...
Yeah that is crazy. The lengths thieves will go to.
Not sure if there is a black market for bridges though.
edit on 30-4-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
When our house burned, we actually had people tunneling under the house to steal the copper pipes. Really? You would risk your life for copper pipes?

But a whole bridge.....yeah, that's insane.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
When i read this title, it reminded me of a man called George C. Parker

He made his living selling New York's public landmarks to unwary tourists. His favorite object for sale was the Brooklyn Bridge, which he sold twice a week for years. He convinced his marks that they could make a fortune by controlling access to the roadway. More than once police had to roust naive buyers from the bridge as they tried to erect toll barriers.

George C. Parker

Anyway back on topic: These thieves we're dedicated! that's one hell of a bold theft lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Fortune favors the bold...

Ive always said if you want to get away with anything, act like you belong there.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Wow!
That took some very serious you know what's!
I can't believe nobody asked for a name, company, paperwork?

Again, WOW.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This is a HUGE issue in the plumbing industry. A 10' stick of 2" copper is about $150. Recycled it's half that. I see it almost weekly people have it riped out from under there house. Then there is this.
High voltage copper theft electrocution

People risking there life to steal this stuff.

Not sure why I can't get youtube to embed. Must be missing something. Sorry all.
edit on 30-4-2012 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This would all come to a screeching halt if we ending speculation on commodities. It's artificially driving up prices of metals, coppers, etc.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
scrappers are crazy
I worked in that business for a few years doing Demolition and scrap metal recycling

the electrocutions are somewhat common...

re the bridge scrappers not being investigated till after
its called bribery

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
scrappers are crazy
I worked in that business for a few years doing Demolition and scrap metal recycling

the electrocutions are somewhat common...

re the bridge scrappers not being investigated till after
its called bribery

I would agree, scrappers are crazy... Have heard of a bunch of people getting zapped trying to steal high power lines. Thats insane! You wouldn't catch me anywhere near a line with that much power. Out here they now require a drivers license and a 3 week wait period before the scrapper can get the cash. Sort of like a pawn shop just to confirm the material being scrapped is in fact theres.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Not the first time a bridge has been stolen by metal thieves. Won't be the last either.

Early 2011, in North Beaver, PA, USA, a 50 foot long steel bridge was cut up, and carted off by metal thieves, working throughout the night. Linky

In 2004, Russia, a 200 tonne steel bridge was stolen by metal thieves. Linky
edit on 30/4/2012 by BMorris because: fixed link

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Well they haven't gone that crazy yet here, anyway, they like airconditioner parts, manhole covers, I've heard of also catalytic converters and some wiring from street lights a reason it.

This is why I say the media are lying through their teeth about the economy. The sheeple are blindly going to fall off the side of cliff. The only reason that concerns me is that they're dragging the rest of us sane people down with them.

All is not as it seems.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
This would all come to a screeching halt if we ending speculation on commodities. It's artificially driving up prices of metals, coppers, etc.

No it wouldn't stop it. Though commodities do artificially fluctuate prices it is not really the cause of rising metal prices. The real cause for constantly escalating prices of metals in the last decade is actually due to fact that China has been and is actively engaged in buying up every bit of scrap metal they can get their hands on to further their ability to make cheap junky products for the global market. It's the reason that cost of steel has escalated so much at least, because china has a corner on most of the scrap steel and most of the supply that is left for others to use is newly mined and refined steel.

And I am not blaming china, but the cause is more supply and demand economics rather then commodities at least in this case, now corn , pork bellies and other commodities and subsides you have a point.
edit on 30-4-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Just think, if a team of metal thieves can cut up, tranfer a bridge to a truck of some kind, and drive it off, all in a single night, without being detected... How much money would they make honestly in the demolitions industry..

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

Good point-I thought the same...They certainly are efficient!They could make a living out of it-OK they would have to pay tax,but that's better than going to prison if they get busted I would have thought.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Bet they'd froth at the mouth to get to Ironbridge.
All the locals and tourists would push them into the river Severn never to be seen again though.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Bet they'd froth at the mouth to get to Ironbridge.
All the locals and tourists would push them into the river Severn never to be seen again though.

iron bridge is cool , glad it was saved

new topics

top topics

join