It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK ISP's to block Piratebay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Well, I think TPB is the largest torrent site in the world, at least in popularity. I don't know many internet users that don't know about the website. Pretty sure it's the biggest and most visited. It could also be about symbolism since TPB is the de facto torrent site for most people. Isohunt used to be big too, but that was shut down/crippled and most moved on to other sites. I really don't think TPB will never be totally shut down. There was some other country that blocked the Pirate Bay within the year. I forget the country at the moment, but those people had work-arounds too. Chinese-style censorship is patriotic! We must bow to the corporate dear leaders of the world. They run the world, not democracy.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Those aristocratic Brits are a brilliant lot aren't they?

All they have to do is make everyone else do their bidding. Just sit there with a wig on and command them.

"Stop that. At once! Or Else!"

Always worked before.

Don't show them this
torrent-finder.info...

or this

torrentz.eu...

and of course they will have to block google the largest provider of torrents in the world.

torrent as a search option returns 981 million hits.

And on top of that, as soon as news gets out that they want to block priate bay, that will just encourage people to make a hundred mirrors of that site.

They can also just go to trackerless torrents, magnetic links. So they are not storing the content, and not storing the torrents on their site, so what is it they are trying to block? Text? Free speech?

Nazis.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Just for the record, torrents aren't illegal in normal countries and even governments distribute large files through the torrent system.

Wikipedia itself can be downloaded from their website or they provide a torrent link.

Besides all that, yes its nice that there are rich people in the world, but I for one do not believe that they have the god given right to be the only ones to view movies or listen to music or get the news or whatever it is they are trying to get including leaked documents that show the wrong doings of these people you are exonerating.

If the system itself was not completely corrupt and filled with evil doers of all varieties, then maybe you could make your case.

But you still could not make the case that it affects the bottom line of entertainers.

Look at how many on-line record sales have been made, and you will see that they are selling more digital recordings on-line than ever before in history.

Those that CAN afford it, pay for music on line. Those that can't through the simple fact that they weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths like the people complaining who never did an honest days work in their lives, well they should not be denied access simply because they are not getting their fare share.

As usual its just another attempt by corrupt rich fat cats to try to prevent free speech to protect their own ill gotten gains and preserve their tyranny over those less fortunate.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
TPB is mostly just pirated stuff, lets be honest.
But the issue is the slippery slope. Target a specific and obvious website, such as TPB and thats fine, you killed an ant on a anthill, but if you make legislation to remove any website that has (potential) copywrite stuff, then you suddenly have nuked a continent in order to kill a anthill...there seems to be little middle ground..either do something almost ineffective, or do something so incredibly overreaching it could smash many legit businesses.

And this won't change piracy much...people will just use proxys to get to TPB (if they know how a torrent works, they can figure out how to go through a proxy to grab the torrent to begin with).

I don't know what the solution is...but I digress...TPB is used by many. I do think it will help a little. a very very little. Not really significant enough to even make a blip on the music industry's profit margain (frankly, youtube and audio capture software trumps any torrenting of music by far)

My suggestion to them is never wake a sleeping giant. Once you do you will find that there is a guillotine installed in the square and you are next in line.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I will tell you why they will never succeed. The masses have the moral high ground.

There is no such thing as an original artistic work that arrived solely from the mind of one individual.

All creative works are influenced by the work of others.

So right from the start, to try to claim ownership for something that was not entirely their own, is just these people trying to copyright the word 'window' once again and make claim to things to profit from them using their brute force they developed over the centuries.

And I could go further and say that people are in touch with the collective unconscious and they draw from that for their creativity, as well as direct influence from other artists.
And going further to angels prompting creative people like Bob Dylan, who at least had the honesty to tell people that is exactly where he got his creative writing talent from, and when they stopped feeding him, his talent and his ability to write good songs stopped as well. Yes you can pretend it doesn't exist.

And you can make laws that try to enforce that false belief.

But don't expect people to follow your insane ideas of personal ownership of things that were given to you from others.

So, carry on, and when one falls and drops the pen, another will stand up and pick up that pen, and you know the line of people willing to lay down their lives to use that pen freely, stretches all the way to heaven.

edit on 1-5-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
In closing I would just like to add, please do continue to try to stop free speech. It took no time at all for that programmer to create the torrent system. You should see what programmers can do when you REALLY piss them off.

They need more encouragement.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Pirate bay cannot be accessed now.
Although that's not stopped a huge flood of images/screenshots on Facebook showing people still using pirate bay in the UK.

Way to go High court and record industry, not only have you failed to prevent access but you've just taught people how to skirt round the limitations.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My ISP, VirginMedia, appear to be using a hybrid combination of IP nullrouting, and deep packet inspection, to enforce this blockade.

This means that unecrypted proxies tryng to access piratebay, will get detected, and directed to virginmedia's "Blocked Website" page.

Encrypted proxies and VPN's are currently uneffected.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
So many sites I've noticed are either down, sign-up only or have had a lot of content removed

Mediafire springs to mind.

But there's also a lot less content on sites like zshare, 4shared...et al and some others have completely disappeared.

While it very much is like pissing on a forest fire, they seem to be taking a fair few down... and then they just spring back up.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
torrentfreak.com...

Last week the UK High Court ruled that several of the country’s leading ISPs must block subscriber access to The Pirate Bay. The decision is designed to limit traffic to the world’s leading BitTorrent site but in the short-term it had the opposite effect. Yesterday, The Pirate Bay had 12 million more visitors than it has ever had, providing a golden opportunity to educate users on how to circumvent blocks. “We should write a thank you letter to the BPI,” a site insider told TorrentFreak.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I use uk vpn to bypass restrictions and it works just fine so far. I can continue to download torrents freely.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This ruling is completely pointless, as most computer users with enough savvy to figure out how to download from TPB will use a VPN server to mask their trail, and this will bypass any firewall issue that will occur in the UK with regards to accessing this site.

It's smoke and mirrors, people.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Just for the record, torrents aren't illegal in normal countries and even governments distribute large files through the torrent system.

Wikipedia itself can be downloaded from their website or they provide a torrent link.

Torrents per se aren't illegal in the UK, either. Using torrents to download copyright content IS illegal in nearly every country in the world, although most countries turn a blind eye.

If you want to torrent to your heart's content, you almost need to be here in Canada, where RIAA lost a landmark case in Supreme Court because they tried to use the fact that it's illegal in USA as a precedent, and got laughed at. Even in Canada, the Government is pressing for laws to make torrenting copyright material illegal.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join