It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power not only corrupts but is addictive as cocaine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Scientists have found power has the same effect on the brain as coc aine.

I used to believe being in position of power, or even simply having power often corrupts people because it would have a large effect on the persons ego. I'm actually glad to see that this is finally coming to light, but I never even realized that power could be as addicting as the drug coc aine.

Now we just need those people who have power to get off the high horse and realize that they are doing more harm than good. If people weren't so selfish and actually tried to do some good in this world with their power, I'm willing to bet that by doing good with the power can also become as addicting as coc aine, feeling wise. Unless of coarse, those people who have power are either sociopaths or psychopaths.

More than a hundred years after noted historian Baron John Acton coined the phrase 'power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely' scientists claim the saying is biologically true.

The feeling of power has been found to have a similar effect on the brain to coc aine by increasing the levels of testosterone and its by-product 3-androstanediol in both men and women.

This in turn leads to raised levels of dopamine, the brain’s reward system called the nucleus accumbens, which can be very addictive.

Source

edit on 30-4-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So basically these people are addicted to making new stupid rules and watching people follow them.
Oh lord we are so doomed

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie
So basically these people are addicted to making new stupid rules and watching people follow them.
Oh lord we are so doomed

Indeed. Maybe they don't think about the consequences before passing any type of laws. They only care about having MORE power. The only way to stop it, is to have a Revolution because it's the Citizens that MADE these people in power by feeding them OUR tax money to fund THEIR Goverment to do whatever is needed to be done. Now, what do they do with the money? The use it mostly to gain more control, mostly through military because they are obsessed with being the most powerful.

Now that's just the Goverment. There are many other types of people out there with power.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I wish Megalomania was recognized as
an actual medical condition.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Scientists have found power has the same effect on the brain as coc aine.

I used to believe being in position of power, or even simply having power often corrupts people because it would have a large effect on the persons ego. I'm actually glad to see that this is finally coming to light, but I never even realized that power could be as addicting as the drug coc aine.

Now we just need those people who have power to get off the high horse and realize that they are doing more harm than good. If people weren't so selfish and actually tried to do some good in this world with their power, I'm willing to bet that by doing good with the power can also become as addicting as coc aine, feeling wise. Unless of coarse, those people who have power are either sociopaths or psychopaths.

More than a hundred years after noted historian Baron John Acton coined the phrase 'power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely' scientists claim the saying is biologically true.

The feeling of power has been found to have a similar effect on the brain to coc aine by increasing the levels of testosterone and its by-product 3-androstanediol in both men and women.

This in turn leads to raised levels of dopamine, the brain’s reward system called the nucleus accumbens, which can be very addictive.

Source

edit on 30-4-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

There is only so much money can buy.

Beyond that all these people care about is influence and power.

If they get to make you do something you don't want to do, they get off on it. because to them it means they have power over you.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Nowhere do I see in the article the reference that "power is as addictive as coc aine."

Dopamine response is, generally, provoked by happiness in general. A good joke also results in dopamine release, as well as physical exertion and exercise.

Further, from the same article:

He added that power has also been found to make people smarter because dopamine improves the functioning of the brain’s frontal lobes.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Should have said "almost as addicting as coc aine", my apolagizes on that.

Not sure if it's even possible to edit the thread title. But yeah, "power" can make people smarter. With great power, comes great knowledge. But there's a lot more to it than just that.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Power is what drives all unhelpful human behavior, from rape and extortion, to governmental tyranny of every stripe and severity. The truth of the matter is that there is no way to be a powerful person, and remain a good one. A good person would never wish to have power over another, nor excersize it unless the situation were so dire as to be considered a matter of life an death on a massive scale.

The fact that this study has shown such results, is only a confirmation of something that we have known for hundreds and hundreds of years. Those who would seek to excersize thier power over others, are not the marble hewn heros that we are taught about in history class, but rather demigods in thier own minds, every monument to them an image of a craven god, and a testament to thier megalomania, as well as the weakness of people who never stood up to them.

We now have men and women at large on this planet, who can order its destruction at a whim, the deaths of pretty much anyone they please, and who can order hundreds of thousands to fight and die, in the name of thier nation in the public eye, but in private in the name of themselves.

This is why it has long been my opinion, that power should be reserved for those who have no desire for it, and rile and rage against its every infliction upon the masses. The only people fit to speak on behalf of a nation of powerless people after all, are persons drawn from that enfeebled end of the sociopolitical spectrum, because only the down trodden are humble enough to accept thier faults and failings, and strive for the future of thier fellows. Only such innocent and power averse people can possibly be fair minded under such weight, rather than turning into the masked dictators we all know and hate.

I tell you, when the most powerful among us wear sack cloth, and live in spartan, austere surroundings, when they eat simple fare, and do not complain, when they weep for the death of every subject and servant, and every soldier and policeman, when they refuse to compromise the stability of the weakest, to appease the demands of corperations and markets, when they throw off the chains of power and do as ordered by thier people, only then will we ever have leaders worth following.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Power is what drives all unhelpful human behavior, from rape and extortion, to governmental tyranny of every stripe and severity. The truth of the matter is that there is no way to be a powerful person, and remain a good one. A good person would never wish to have power over another, nor excersize it unless the situation were so dire as to be considered a matter of life an death on a massive scale.

This is a response only addressing a very limited scope.

I have knowledge and experience you do not have - largely in the electronics and computer arena with overlapping industrial and logistical topics. Does that not, inherently, give me power when handling such matters by comparison to those with less?

The fact is that functional society will always be, to some degree or another, based upon dominance and submission. Not everyone can do things their precise way and expect to accomplish a task that requires a group effort. Someone(s) must eventually yield; submitting to a greater authority (be it one person or a contract developed by many persons).

The problem is that the world has far too many managers and not enough leaders. To be a leader - one must have people to follow him/her. If I want to, say, take charge of a factory and get it running efficiently... it is not really management so much as it is leadership. A leader is able to get people to work together, focusing on the accomplishment of a common goal.

An effective leader will always have power. This is not a bad thing. It is a necessary thing - without leaders, we would all be uncooperative, untrusting individuals. The thing is that effective leadership doesn't involve the abuse of the power granted by a leadership status. Social structures are dynamic, and have a considerable amount of feedback in their system. Abusing power will eventually lead to a loss of cooperation amongst followers - if not followers, themselves.

This is why it has long been my opinion, that power should be reserved for those who have no desire for it

This really depends upon what your goals are. If you wish to sail to another continent - are you going to crew a ship with men who have no desire to go to sea? Or fly with pilots who have no desire to take off?

Chances are - if you have no desire to utilize your abilities - you do not have a clear direction in mind for them.

Do you really want to place power into the hands of crew adrift?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

He added that power has also been found to make people smarter because dopamine improves the functioning of the brain’s frontal lobes.

sheds light on the whole ideal of a conspiracy behind music and other like minded peoples

new topics

top topics

join