It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A year later, al-Qaida 'far from defeated'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

A year later, al-Qaida 'far from defeated'

www.airforcetimes.com

WASHINGTON — The death of Osama bin Laden at the hands of Navy commandos a year ago was a setback to al-Qaida, but the Islamic terror organization remains a potent threat around the world, intelligence experts say.

“It’s on the defensive, but it’s far from defeated,” said Bruce Riedel, a former CIA officer

The al-Qaida affiliate in Yemen is considered among the most dangerous and threatening to the U.S.
counterterrorism adviser John Brennan called it “the most active operational franchise” i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

“The great Arab revolt will have far greater impact on the future of jihadism than the death of bin Laden,” Gerecht said.

So looks like the war won't end anytime soon... big surprise

And now Yemen is considered the most dangerous after way too many years in Afganistan and Iraq

It's no longer a war, it's a never ending campaign
See my signature quotes on the dangers of that!

I still rather be optimistic though
For some reason I see it as far fetched for the war to last another decade
I don't know, I don't see it happening

www.airforcetimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
That's why our drone strikes are increasing in Yemen!! But, we won't hear about that on the evening news.

Here we go!!

The U.S. is widening the war on al-Qaida in Yemen, expanding drone strikes against the terror network a year after the raid that killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

U.S. counterterrorist forces will now be allowed to target individuals found to be plotting attacks on U.S. territory, even if U.S. intelligence cannot identify the person by name, two senior U.S. officials said.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive strategic matters.

Prior practice required militants to be identified as part of a lengthy legal vetting process. Now, tracking an individual in the act of commanding al-Qaida fighters or planning an attack on U.S. territory or American individuals can land the person on the shoot-to-kill list, officials said.

www.boston.com...
edit on 30-4-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
How can you defeat your own creation? Tsk tsk, bad government

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's the proverbial boogeyman there is no "beating" it. If you beat it people will loose their fear and you will loose you $$$$ and after all thats what it is all about. Fear and making money. It's the American way. As always it is the young being sacrificed to feed the old and powerful. Same game different players.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The CIA is al quaeda, Of course its not gone LOL this is well known in the middle east.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The West is actually working openly with them as we could see in Libya.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

tarpley.net...

www.mcclatchydc.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Its another Laos I guess, the plain of jar war type.
Got to keep the money flows in,got to shift the sheeple focus on the war, lots of contract to be made, got to keep it going.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
don't forget white alciaduh:
veterans, raw milk producers, gun ownwers, farm kids ( ffa, 4H) homeschoolers, christians, mortgage holders, etc
they is all breeding like rats
edit on 30-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
We have been creating our own monsters in the middle east for years. We support and fund this side then that side. Whatever way the political wind happens to be blowing at the time. Most of these tribes having been fighting since the dawn of time. They will never work it out if the rest of the world keeps coming in to stir things up. It's like a LA gang war. It's been going so long, everyone has a personal beef and few can remember what started it. More guns and bombs can't solve the problem unless we plan on killing everyone. At this point it's just a big cash caw feeding the war machine.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I doubt AQ really exist outside Afghanistan/Pakistan/Yemen. Apparently they are currently fighting against the government of Syria, but then isn't this what they were trained to do in Afghanistan against the Russians?

Earlier on the news they were reporting some terrorist action, and said it "might be AQ, some other organization, or someone else", but no doubt that had to include "AQ" just to be sure people were concerned about it, rather than it sounding like a local problem (which in reality is what it is).
edit on 1-5-2012 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

top topics

join