It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery As Hundreds Of Pelicans Die In Peru

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This has gotta be some kind of man-made pollution, apologies if posted elsewhere, please delete as appropriate. First dolphins and now pelicans, very strange indeed:

The bodies of hundreds of pelicans have been found in Peru on the same beaches where almost 900 dead dolphins have washed up over the last month. The government said they will investigate the deaths of almost 600 birds found along a 70km stretch of northern coastline - the majority of which are pelicans, but also include gannets. The fisherman's association in Puerto Eten, north Peru, said it found around 1,200 dead pelicans last week along a 170km string of beaches.

news.sky.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

havent been following this too closely but over the last year there have been dozens of incidents involving the mass die off of dolphins fish and birds and as far as i know there has been no explanation as to the cause in most of these cases

hard to even guess at why this is happening but its very unsettling and i for one would like to know why

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
With the recent die off off the coast of Peru of almost 900 dolphins it is clear something is terribly wrong in the waters there. Anyone have a theory about a possible cause?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I saw this on yahoo news earlier and the excuses in that article were ridiculous! They were saying it is all caused by a shortage of fish! Are we to believe that dolphins are not smart enough or capable of going further a field to find food? Or that birds will not either? Absolute rubbish! And even if it were to a shortage of fish they didn't even try to explain why there was a shortage of fish!

But they did make it clear it wasn't because of the search for OIL! Oh no! Of course that is totally out of the question! Pumping chemicals into the sea bed (fracking) could in no way cause all the fish, dolphins, birds to die on mass! Obviously!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Makes me wonder about Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide. You know how the dolphins were the first to leave. Wonder if he wasn't IN the movie/On the bus for just a minute. Fun stuff to roll around in my brain. I hope someone will seriously look into this. Life on Earth is a big game of Jenga and some A hole keeps pulling out all the blocks on the bottom. I do not want to have to be the one to pick up the mess when it finally topples over.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If no evidence is found of a similar incidents from years gone by, and I can't find any, then I'm really thinking this has something to do with humans.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
mercery..... the fish are exposed to it in the water after it rains down from pollution ever heard of a mad hatter
the reason they where mad is they cleaned hats with mercery witch dose nerve damage to humans so maybe the pelicans eat fish with mercery and they die just a theory.... may make a thread on this later

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Not enough flags and pages. Flag it. Discuss it.

Shortage of fish for the dolphins and birds eh? It makes me furious when mundane answers are spewed out when clearly this is not the case. Nature's balances have been at play long before we walked this earth.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Fukushima? If so, I fear this a precursor to our impending doom

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I read somewhere yesterday about another mass die off of some other animals..Unless it was the pelicans not sure

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Apparently it may be a shift in the oceans currents:

One theory is that a shift in ocean currents may have moved rich shoals of anchovy away from the coastline, leaving the birds without enough food.

Possibly linked with the poles?

Also, if they're clearing these bodies up in protective gear, which the article states, then that raises the possibility of radiation.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You would think that without enough food then these animals would gradually wash up on shore, not all at once. If they all washed up at the same time (or even in the same day) then I think something else might be going on besides a shortage of food. Plus, birds can fly. I highly doubt they would allow themselves to starve that easily.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I wouldn't put the possibility of these animals eating fish that were contaminated from Fukushima out of the question. Depending on range and type of fish in the area, they could have been affected by radiation and were eaten by these birds and possibly the dolphin that were killed.....just an idea.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Exactly. This is the conclusion of the dying ring seals in Alaska.

At first, biologists believed the seals were suffering from a virus, but they now are testing the seals to see if radiation is a factor.

Link

This is only going to get worse as time goes by.

However

According to the Daily Mail, water tests in US Pacific waters have not picked up evidence of elevated radiation since March.

Can we really trust that though?

edit on 7-5-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Exactly. This is the conclusion of the dying ring seals in Alaska.

At first, biologists believed the seals were suffering from a virus, but they now are testing the seals to see if radiation is a factor.

Link

This is only going to get worse as time goes by.

However

According to the Daily Mail, water tests in US Pacific waters have not picked up evidence of elevated radiation since March.

Can we really trust that though?

edit on 7-5-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

Well, while the radiation levels in the water may not be high, some fish have very extensive migratory travels, and while this is just an idea since I have no clue what type of fish they eat or where those fish may travel, most fish cover a lot of distance in their lives. If they swam or migrated to the coast of Japan for a certain time of year then migrated back our way, the waters may not have been polluted with radiation but the fish still would be from being near the Fukushima disaster area. So a water test doesn't really do it for me.

I can only imagine it would be a fairly slow and painful death eating a radiation bombed fish.

That seal article is horrible....but I wonder if there are any similarities to the pelicans and dolphins as far as signs on the fish/birds themselves. I would guess that ingesting a fish with high levels of radiation would tear up the insides of any animal that ate them. I can't imagine it would be hard to test and figure out.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

You're right. It's not really the water that's doing it, it's the food supply.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I can't wait for the first D.B. to come in here saying that mass Pelican Deaths are more common than you think and we are only now hearing about it more because of news travelling faster thru mediums such as the internet plus the media is reporting on them more.

At some point, these types of people, you know, the ones who are addicted to keeping their world views safe from outside influence, are going to have to abruptly and completely alter their entire world view all at once rather than incrementally like the rest of us.

Ohhh, what a day that will be.
Mass suicides will shortly follow.
Of course there will be at least one left claiming that mass suicides are actually more common than one might think.
We only hear about them more now because of things like the internet which makes news travel faster. Plus the fact that the media reports on them more in order to boost ratings.

And on and on it goes.

top topics

join