It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery As Hundreds Of Pelicans Die In Peru

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

1200 pellicans is a lot of birds. Even though there may be die offs it seems they are saying it's more severe. I think it says the fishermen there have noticed an increase according to the main OP's article. They would be the ones that would notice things like that.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Translated with google. Seems to be caused by malnutrition.

We found abundance of parasites in his stomach, putting them in a process of infection and loose stools starvation and malnutrition show that these birds are" Bocanegra explained.

trujillonoticias.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
its plastic pollution ... in the oceans. The concentrations of toxic chemical plastics (that don't break down) is a million times stronger in the pacific garbage patches.

It's already affected 177 species of marine life.

google: pacific garbage patch.

The upcoming Rio+20 summit has ocean pollution on the table for discussions

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

so why aren't they eating the fish there? What's changed? Just because someone says that they starving doesn't mean they researched the cause of the starving. As an animal or bird gets malnutrition it has less ability to fight parasites. The guys statement basicly said nothing.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The article says warmer water has moved in and that pelicans food comes from cooler water. The guy also says that the warmer water releases toxins from phytoplankton.

Just one possible reason I came across. Sure there may be other reasons.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Could be a reason but why the increase over other years? Maybe warmer weather?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Peru's Institute of the Sea's regional chief, Edward Barriga, described a similar event in the area from 1997 when a lack of anchovies resulted in the deaths of pelicans and cormorants.

I was there at that time, this is different. That time, I saw all kind of dead animals together, even penguins, believe it or not. Nothing to do with this.

Also, the number of dead pelicans reported is not true :

En cuanto a los pelícanos encontrados también sin vida en las costas norteñas, el reporte oficial cuenta 538, en diferentes estados de descomposición. Los cuerpos fueron hallados en la playa, sin rastros de haber sido varados por las olas marinas.

TRANSLATION :

As the pelicans also found dead in the northern coasts, the official report has 538, in various states of decomposition. The bodies were found on the beach, no trace of having been stranded by the sea waves.

lamula.pe...

Here another source :

El conteo oficial es de 538 pelícanos y 54 piqueros (especie de alcatraz) muertos, en diferentes estados de descomposición, según el reporte, que da a entender que las aves murieron en la playa, en lugar de ser varadas por el mar.

TRANSLATION :

The official count is 538 pelicans and 54 boobies (sort of alcatraz) dead, in various states of decomposition, according to the report, which suggests that the birds died on the beach, instead of being stranded by the sea.

www.causaabierta.com.uy...

Like I said first, these were old birds and that's the way they die. I know Peru, I used to go fishing every weekend there.
edit on 1-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I don't feel mass die offs are normal. I would say the animals are poisoned. We don't have pelicans die off en mass on our South Carolina beaches. Occassionally, you will see a few small jelly fish dead. Last Year Charleston had a fish die of in Febuary or March when everyone else was having mass animal die offs. There was also a star fish die off after a storm near Pawley's Island.

I hope those anchovies aren't the ones they dry out and can up for people to eat.

The plastic islands need to be collected or harvested and used for recylcing. Some kind of collecting boat needs to be invented for this purpose. It frustrates me that these plastics are floating in the ocean. I always pick up the garbage I see on the beaches while walking in my state or any beaches I go to. It's just smart not to let garbage get into the oceans.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Would be interesting to get a few of these and do tests for radiation. I'm certain Fukushima is far worse than we are being told.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

I dont know but i just read this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Chatting bout the Fallout from Fukishima now contaminated the whole of Pacific!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Seems Peru is covering something up

In an unprecedented ordinance which has generated both speculation and alarm, Peru has closed all ocean beaches north of Lima to the public.

latino.foxnews.com...

Peru's government has declared a health alert along its northern coastline and urged residents and tourists to stay away from long stretches of beach as it investigates the unexplained deaths of hundreds of dolphins and pelicans.
At least 1,200 birds, mostly pelicans, have washed up dead along a stretch of Peru's northern Pacific coastline in recent weeks, according to health officials, and an estimated 800 dolphins have died in the same area in recent months.

latino.foxnews.com...

Seems a long distance for radiation from Fuku... and its also locked out of Mexico oil spill..

cant help but feel this is radiation related. maybe they hit radiation in the ocean loser to fuku, natural instinct was to go in the opposite direction immediately...
something internal went wrong when they crossed the equator and the radiation killed them close to the beach.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Nice!

Thanks for the post!!

Starred!

It does indeed seem fishy.... all these animals dying off.... i hope that its not the radiation that is causing it but if they find out that it is.... well at least we will know for sure and something can hopefully be done about it if its not too late!!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The Authorities are now saying its due to warmer waters:

The deaths of thousands of birds found off the coasts of Chile and its northern neighbour Peru recently could be connected to El Nino, the warming of the Pacific Ocean's surface temperature.

More than 2,000 dead fowl were discovered washed up this week on beaches between Cartagena and Playa de Santo Domingo in Chile after apparently being caught up in fishermen's nets.

This time of year, as Chilean weather usually gets colder, migrating birds would normally travel north for warmth.

But instead they are said to have stayed to feast on an influx of anchovies and sardines that fled the coast of Peru in search of cooler waters further south.

news.sky.com...

What do you reckon???

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join