It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why modern science destroys human morality....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You do realise that how ever much we despair at the atrocities commited across the globe and the immoral behaviour of individuals. the only reason there in consciouness in the first place can be wholy atributed to the media, which is constantly focused on their negativity, fear mongering campaign. In reality we have along way to go but life's never been better. As Stephen Pinker illustrates.

www.ted.com...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gaussq

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals Himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings.
—Albert Einstein

My point is that he had no reason to believe in a supernatural, "divine" God.

But to reply to the OP, of course modern science promotes atheism. As we discover more and more about the world our "need" for a god to explain away the things we don't understand lessens. Upon reading the excerpt from Li Hongzhi, I kind of started shaking my head. He clearly has a problem with just being human. I'm all for excelling at everything, but I also have a hard time believing people who claim to have "supernatural" intelligence. The pursuit of science is the pursuit of intelligence. Li Hongzhi talks about how people study and study but never master things...well what should they be doing? Meditating? Praying for intelligence? The reason people don't do those things is because they aren't effective. And modern science has NOTHING to do with the decline of morality and although he says it, he doesn't explain why he thinks it is so. If anything, as we progress into our scientific and technological future, our appreciation and understanding of things like life, consciousness, and meaning will grow.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If you need to imagine a big scary god in the sky to remember that it's probably not a good idea to screw over your fellow man, then you got issues.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Gaussq

More than seventy percent of the human brain isn't used? This is a myth. That is why the rest of what is posted isn't exactly relevant... I am religious, but I agree with some of the philosophers who seek where morality can exist in a godless world.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
"I am religious, but I agree with some of the philosophers who seek where morality can exist in a godless world"

Does a human have to be taught morality ? as in, is it an external influence or do people have an independant conscience where the "morality" resides within each of us. I'd go by the latter meaning that your statement above is non sensical.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join