It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't believe in god, I believe in Humans. ;)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
So, since religion is going to be a hot topic in the next year or so (with election time rolling around) and everything related, (sexuality/abortion/etc)... I figured I would throw my two cents into the mix.

Religion.

Woooo. Spooky!

Just the name alone elicits shudders from all the sinners and infidels out there... Damn them for eternity.

...an Image pops up in my mind though...

Ah, there it is.

Religion [Politics]

That's better, now I can actually speak on the subject. They say there is separation of church and state in the US, and if you compare it to Saudi Arabia there certainly is. But the reality of the situation, in North America, is that religion is about as synonymous to religion as donuts are to... well... more donuts.

MmmMmm... Donuts.

Frankly, I would sooner prey to the donut before praying to god, and I might even pray to the donut too, probably with better effect.

I learned as a kid that religion and church was a house of crazy just looking for something to hold on to as life is fleeting and we don't really get much of an explanation as to why we are here in the first place. (After being ejected from our Mother's washroom place.)

That's the real kicker. We are all spat out like bowel movement and the rest of our lives we have to look our Moms in the eye like it isn't the grossest thing imaginable... Oh, but then you have your own kids, or you watch a sister or wife of a friend take on the terrible task. Then it doesn't seem so bad. Then you can say sorry to your Mom for that awkward feeling you had for 20 years.

Sorry mum. Love ya!

Okay, before I run off on a tangent, lets refocus.

So you see the miracle of birth a few times and you really question life. Why do we do this to ourselves, why do we just keep popping out more mouths to feed? And it's quite simple. If we didn't we wouldn't be here and then the question wouldn't need to be asked.

Back to the god stuff circa 1980's Sunday School.

So I may have eventually figured out why Mom pushed me from her loins but it was something she was grappling with herself. She bounced from church to church looking for a cult religious group to take her in. Ended up as Christians, had our head dunked and everything. I was probably about 6 years old at the time.

Sunday School didn't work for me. They specifically asked my mom not to let me come back. Something about a kid telling me dinosaurs don't exist and me telling him he's an idiot. Then there was that whole part where a Sunday School teacher told me I would go to hell if I wasn't good, and I told him that he would go to hell for trying to scare me. I didn't believe in hell.

A month later after a good attempt of brainwashing by my mom and her new found overlords friends, I had a dream about hell, woke up the entire house, told my mom hell is stupid and I never wanna dream that again.

She stopped taking us to church.

If I never heard the stories of hell, I never would of had the dream. But good on you for trying to scare the hell out of a 6 year old mom. (No pun intended).

Fast forward a few years

Let's go bullet points:

♦ I have some friends that maintain the faithful life, their parents are fighting because the mom cheated on the dad.
♦ Few girls in a youth group get introduced to me. I break a few commandments, they do some pretty sinful stuff, we all hope their boyfriends don't find out.
♦ Move in to a rental unit where the landlord is running groups out of his house for an offshoot of a Arab faith, don't remember which kind, his girlfriend is a prostitute and I'm pretty sure he's having sex with guys that rent rooms from him. The guy talks about god and reminds me of how I have to be "good"... he doesn't know that I know his secrets.
♦ Another youth group girl, this one is older, still goes because of parental guilt, tells me all about the "honesty" talks the group has. Every single member, all "sinners" including the adults that just tell them it's a stage and they need to repent.
♦ See a few charity scams, crooked faith groups, other nonsense... Nothing majorly affects me as I don't really care, few people broken up about it.
♦ Muslim friend, watched him commit just about every harum known to man. Never seen someone wash their face so many times on a Friday.
♦ Watch a friend turn Muslim cause he thinks Halal food tastes better... What about Kosher?
♦ Volunteered at a Christian camp (reasons redacted), met the oldest weirdest catholic fellow I ever met. I believe that place will have a horror movie written about it one day. Didn't see anything strange, besides all the people there...
♦ See some standard manipulation across every faithful person I meet, specifics would be 5 threads long....

The point of all this, (and there really are a lot more bullet points that could be written) is that I always look for the bad in people, and I always find it. And I take comfort in that...

So where did my opinion on religion form? Well, I figure 1000 years ago or so people were just as crafty as they are today. And if you look at politics today, you will see some pretty obvious "faith based" politics. And forget religion. Politics is like its own religion today.

Democrats VS Republicans, Liberal VS Conservative. It's like the good VS evil in the bible, god VS satan, except that everyone thinks they are on the right side.

Where am I going with this?

1000 years ago, to 2000, to 3-4-5000 years ago, they didn't have communication the way we do. Knowledge was limited. Over the eons there were civilized points and not so civilized points. But they used to have politics, just like we do, and they infused religion into it in many circumstances.

And if there were no politics, there was religion. And if there was religion, there was politics.

In other words, I don't believe in god, because I believe in the Human power to manipulate. And it's a whole lot easier to manipulate others if everyone believes you have good intentions.

I just never seen the difference between the two. Getting people to believe in you, trust you, and then shed all responsibility afterward. The two are one in the same.

edit on 30-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
You seem to equate the existence of God with religions and the metrics of religions. Common error.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Have you ever considered to go and lie down on your back and to meditate/pray? Breathe in through your nose to your stomach then filling your lungs, and breathe out through your mouth. Of course, there are many ways where one can reach the deeper theta state where we find freedom, understanding and with that wisdom.

I am not trying to bible bash you, i am telling you to forget man made religion and find that way to have a personal relationship with our Creator.

Myself as a believer in The Trinity have realized life does become more spiritual when one does have a personal relationship with The Creator. Men, as always, LIE.

What they have done to the Word over the many years will only derail believers, but, if you find that personal relationship His Word will become clear.

Sad how flesh caused/causes so many people to fall off the path, or so turn their back on our Creator.

kj

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
You seem to equate the existence of God with religions and the metrics of religions. Common error.

It's pretty hard to explain the whole deal without a religion or religious belief. So the best we can do to stay away from that is just have our own private thoughts on the matter. No?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Have you ever considered to go and lie down on your back and to meditate/pray? Breathe in through your nose to your stomach then filling your lungs, and breathe out through your mouth.

I have a cold right now, so my left nostril is whistling and my right nostril is stuffed shut.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

When you do feel better, try getting hold of Kelly Howell - Living Prayer mp3, which works with theta waves. Put on some headphones and listen. (Please do acknowledge your Creator) when you go in a deeper state. It is about 30 minutes long, so yes, it feels like forever the first few times.

If after that, when you reached a higher conscious you will know what i am talking about.

People use theta, delta, alpha to fall into deeper states, and many Christians i know tell me i am doing wrong, it is not of God IN THEIR OPINION. Imo, they are wrong. I acknowledge my Creator, the Son & Holy Spirit throughout my meditative state. I pray the Our Father, tbh! And when one is in that deeper state it is beautiful, wonderful..pure awesomeness.

I find it easier to relax with the breathing and by that getting into my meditative state.

Again boncho, i am not preaching nor am i forcing my belief onto you. I want you to experience a Spiritual relationship.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Well, I'm not sure about a creator, but I do get really transcendent when I get hot oil massages at the spa with a cute RMT.

In any case, I don't find your suggestions offensive, so best regards. And don't worry about me, I will find my happy ending, I do assure you.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

There is a rise in anti Christian hatred and we can see it all around us. This has to happen so that the "Anti-Christ" can come into power. What people don't realize is that this world does not belong to the Christians. I am a Christian and I know this. The Bible says that the world belongs to the Devil and his children. It's a world of darkness and it hates God. There just happens to be millions of Christians in it. But not to worry, they will be leaving soon for a while so the whole planet will be yours until Jesus comes back.

Saying there is no God will not make him go away. Denying the truth will not make a lie any more believable. God is, and He is not a religion which are simply inventions of men. He is a person and you and I will see Him and explain ourselves to Him. And that is the truth.

I don't believe in human because they fail all the time. I believe in God, and His Son Jesus.

edit on 30-4-2012 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I understand. I was deep down the abyss at stages in my life (not saying you are now), but i am happy to be out of it, at last.

Best regards my friend.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames
reply to post by boncho

I understand. I was deep down the abyss at stages in my life (not saying you are now), but i am happy to be out of it, at last.

Best regards my friend.

I think you misunderstood the happy ending.

But no worries, everything is good on my end. And I do find some great relaxation at the Spa, beyond that, I don't go into detail much.

reply to post by Fromabove

There just happens to be millions of Christians in it. But not to worry, they will be leaving soon for a while so the whole planet will be yours until Jesus comes back.

Ah, yes, Armageddon and the Apocalypse and all that.... Then the meek get to inherit the Earth afterward right? Let me hold my breath on that one...

...Now if I can just wait long enough...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Guess i did!

Bit slow today. Holiday in South Africa, for some of us today. I am having a lazy a$$ Monday

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny

Yes, and OP just substituted Humanism in place of Theism.

Don't worship man, worship and give glory to the Creator of mankind.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm not religious either, though spent many years in the Church. I love the message and personage of Christ however, but also that of Buddha, and so far, out of all the Teachers, those two alone, for they never harmed, did not retaliate, (aside from the story of Buddha leaving his family which I don't think is admirable unless it was a communication, and actual break up, separation/divorce due to impossible conditions and a real change, and only if he made certain they were cared for, for he himself was born into wealth, and even at that, would he simply have left his child to be modeled and impressed upon, and shaped/formed by his wealthy elitist and conquering family?).

There is a lot of metaphor in all of it.

I am spiritual. And worship anything is not going to go far with me. I don't worship Father/Mother, Creator. I Love them, and am so grateful for their constant help and for all the Joys and Goodness that surrounds us, for the Teamwork of Family, who are Equal, and value all as Equal, who are very Humble, and judge a system by how the poorest, the lowest conditions of living are, by the smallest amongst us, the most neglected and roll up their sleeves to help there. If you want to improve or help a system, you start at the bottom always.

And they accord equality to all.

For we are all infinite beings, and while a clip of self, we are also our infinite global selves, and infinity cannot be measure, your infinity, my infinity, the infinity within a star, or a grain of sand, or without both of those, is all Equal in Endless Volume.

Family is Love. There is no throne of pyramidal power. Turn the pyramids upside down and learn of wisdom and love, see past and through the traps here including in the religions.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You will not find a perfect Christian. You will not find a perfect person. Using that as an "excuse" for not believing in God will not be an accepted excuse in the afterlife. Unfortunately it will probably be the most commonly used excuse and it does speak to a degree about the Christians in the world today. But look, that's like saying you can't participate in baseball because there are no "perfect" players who can play every position, hit every pitch, and never make an error. Or you could say you will not support any politicians because none of them are perfect. Or fathers since they will all eventually make a mistake.

I have been a Christian since I was of age to make the decision on my own but I would definitely consider myself "anti-church". I have witnessed plenty of... let's say bad fruit in churches. I do not use it as an excuse to not go as it is a requirement in the Bible to regularly meet with other fellow believers. Instead I try to do my part to make sure the "bad fruit" is pushed away and not embraced.

I am not however a Catholic and will not defend any of their practices as they do many things that I believe are not Scriptural (ie a priest can absolve you of sins(only Jesus), praying to a dead person (Mary), not use birth control(??), etc.). The Catholic church has definitely stored up its treasure on Earth instead of in Heaven.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yes. Do not believe in humans. Every product of mankind has been negative—especially the gods. All the ideas created by man: society, religion, economy, god, are all intangible and only exist in the minds of men. They're ideas, nothing more.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

This.
Religions emerged from God, not the other way round.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by tkwasny

This.
Religions emerged from God, not the other way round.

There is no other explanation?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Nice thread and all but I think you fail to realize religion is man searching for God, Christianity is God searching for man. Also its not logical to say you do not 'believe in God', of course you believe in him, otherwise how to you answer why your alive and how everything was created. The reason you claim not to believe is because you simply do not want to obey God's commandments or listen to him.

As a Christian I hate religion. At it's core Jesus' gospel and the good news of the Cross is in pure opposition to self-righteousness/self-justification. Religion is man centered, Jesus is God-centered.

When it comes to judgement day goodluck relying on your own self-righteousness.

That's essentially what people are relying upon when they think they will go to heaven for simply being "a good person"...

Jesus Christ is only name under heaven by which men must be saved. Put your trust in him today and you will receive the free gift of eternal life.

That's all I have to say, good day.

edit on 3-5-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Stop your fear mongering. It is this preaching about the Devil that has brainwashed millions of people into believing Fairytales. Plus since your preaching this as truth do you have any evidence to support your claims?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Religion is primitive mans way of trying to explain the world around them by creating Myths and Christianity is no exception.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join