2012 - The Beginning Of A New Mass Extinction - The Galactic Bow Shock Theory

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I just watched an episode of The Universe on H2. It was called "The Universe - Worst Days on Planet Earth". I found this particular episode on YouTube if you care to watch it below. At the 26:00min. mark is when they start talking about the galactic bow shock that gets me thinking this is what's causing other planets in our solar system to heat up and the possibility of another mass extinction on the horizon... we've had at least 5.

On December 21st, 2012 are solar system will cross into the Northern half of the galactic plane where the hypothesis suggests we would get bombarded by heated cosmic rays. The Northern half of the galaxy is said to be the most turbulent. Researchers, like Melott, have suggested that at least 2 of the Earth's mass extinctions were caused while our solar system was in the Northern area of the galactic plane where we're exposed to heated cosmic rays and turbulence.

Scientists know the Milky Way is being gravitationally pulled toward a massive cluster of galaxies, called the Virgo Cluster, located about 50 million light years away. Adrian Melott and his colleague Mikhail Medvedev, both KU researchers, speculate that as the Milky Way hurdles towards the Virgo Cluster, it generates a so-called bow shock in front of it that is similar to the shock wave created by a supersonic jet.

"Our solar system has a shock wave around it, and it produces a good quantity of the cosmic rays that hit the Earth. Why shouldn't the galaxy have a shock wave, too?" Melott said.

The galactic bow shock is only present on the north side of the Milky Way's galactic plane, because that is the side facing the Virgo Cluster as it moves through space, and it would cause superheated gas and cosmic rays to stream behind it, the researchers say. Normally, our galaxy's magnetic field shields our solar system from this "galactic wind." But every 64 million years, the solar system's cyclical travels take it above the galactic plane.

"When we emerge out of the disk, we have less protection, so we become exposed to many more cosmic rays," Melott told SPACE.com.
Article link: Cosmic Forces Control Life On Earth

Here's the episode of The Universe - Worst Days on Planet Earth;

This episode covers the possible reasons of each mass extinction we've had on Earth. At the 26:00min. mark begins the material that relates to the galactic bow shock theory and might explain what we're heading towards after December 21st, 2012 rolls around.

Note: I realize there are 6 other threads that cover this subject but none of them seemed to attract really attract any in depth discussion. I hope you watch the episode above before commenting as it really gets the wheels turning.
edit on 4/30/12 by Evildead because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I am sure there is no way to measure exactly at the point where we will break on through to the other side of the galactic plane. That is one of the problems here.

Also at what point does the protective sheild fail? We could be a million years into the alleged 60 + million year cycle before it has any adverse affects on Earth.

edit on 30-4-2012 by magma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evildead
this is what's causing other planets in our solar system to heat up

Except the part where this is not actually true.

On December 21st, 2012 are solar system will cross into the Northern half of the galactic plane...

1. The shape of the galaxy isnt so precisely defined as to be able to give an exact date.
2. We're still about 900 light year away from the "centre line". Not going to get there in a few months. Come back in millions of years.

The Northern half of the galaxy is said to be the most turbulent.

at least 2 of the Earth's mass extinctions were caused while our solar system was in the Northern area of the galactic plane .

The earth orbits the galaxy every 250 million years or so.
Going back over the last 600 million years or so (depoending on how you define "mass extinction") the solar system will have spent about half the time in each area.
By your own numbers, only 2 extinctions means the Northern area is safer.

Except the part where the whole story described in your post is not actually true.

where we're exposed to heated cosmic rays and turbulence.

But every 64 million years, the solar system's cyclical travels take it above the galactic plane.
"When we emerge out of the disk, we have less protection, so we become exposed to many more cosmic rays,"

1. He's got the timing all wrong.
2. Such a scenario would have mass extinctions every 250 million years.
3. The last would have been three quarters of an orbit ago = 187 million years ago, not 64 as they're trying to assert.
4. 64 million years ago we would have been safely in the Southern area.

Did I mention the part where the idea simply isnt true?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Apparently the last mass extinction happened 65 million years ago. Not sure but if there's some 64 million year cycle for that particular type of event than we're a million years over due.

I would imagine if Earth was actually effected by this galactic bow theory event, than other planets in our system would've also been effected. I wonder if there's any way to know if 65 million years ago the other planets experienced the same effects we would've. Then we'd know there was some cosmic event that effected our solar system.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Evildead

there are some brilliant minds that subscribe to this theory.

some make their living promoting the idea,

some talk about what they discovered while they made their money on other projects that are very black

I like what Dr. Paul LaViolette has to say about it.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

oh so true that its not true or is it not true that its true or is it just true that the truth has been bent either way us crossing the galactic plane should be the least of our 2012 worries or 2013 - 2036 worries...... im pretty shure well be dead by at least 2036

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ronnypeppers

2013 - 2036

Ah yes but no one else is worrying about that, not yet. Wait until 2012 is out of the way and then if 2013 does not get us 2036 might. Actually there is a possibility that 2029 might as well so plenty to keep the doom mongers in business for a while.

Now, was that an Apocalypse, or an Apo-phis-calypse ??

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Ah yes, I've seen that interview before. It's excellent! Paul does a great job explaining his theory and the interview really gets you thinking out-of-the-box that mainstream astrophysicists are stuck in. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't listened to that Project Camelot interview, check it out.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Oh Noes!

Another doom merchant.

I'm getting a little fatigued by the number of times the Earth has been destroyed, and I've been killed, recently.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Apparently our sun is moving slower than we first thought and the bow shock most likely doesn't exist BUT the article below says there is still a slight wake just not as large as to creat the bow shock... more like waves. So there still may be something to the theory of Paul Le Violette.

"While bow shocks certainly exist ahead of many other stars, we're finding that our sun's interaction doesn't reach the critical threshold to form a shock, so a wave is a more accurate depiction of what's happening ahead of our heliosphere, much like the wave made by the bow of a boat as it glides through the water," said McComas, principal investigator of the IBEX mission.

"The slower speed the sun is traveling at with respect to the local interstellar medium means that at the moment, there is less compression of the heliosphere, so there's a larger region to deflect cosmic rays," McComas said. "However, in the distant past, as the sun goes in its orbit around the galaxy, it surely went through dense clouds, so maybe the heliosphere got squeezed then, and we were more affected by galactic radiation. Surely that will happen again in the distant future."

~ Our Sun Is Moving More Slower Than Thought

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

For what it's worth, I do find it interesting how people who have never left the earth, and whose vision is not even the best there is to have on the planet, are experts of everything in the entire universe and absolute experts on things not even seen, but only speculated on - theory = fact.

With regard to our interaction with the galactic energy, the most important point of reference is not earth, it is the sun. The key is where the sun is in relation to the process known as consciousness evolution. Earth folks are too stupid to dictate their process on their own, so far more intelligent forces are in charge, after all if it were left to the earth based science mind they might put nuclear reactors in places subject to earthquakes, tsunamis and population centers - or all three. So others negotiate the consciousness process via ways not subject to remarkably dumb proclamations like "the earth is flat," or "there is nothing beyond what can be seen," or we could go on about the declarations that are no longer fact.

While the sun appears to our eyes as a ball of fire, it really isn't that at all, but a collection of beings living as one unit, which we could hardly comprehend; and they guide our solar system through its evolutionary process. Think of things this way; the center of the galaxy is closer to unity, a lot of beings connected as one, look how far we are from that center point. The core process is driven by the galaxy, with the satellite we call sol, or sun, guiding us. The process is done via cycle, not time, and the process is subject to a wee bit of change depending on those in the line of energy fire - we're in a process of adjustment as we speak as too many folks are still insisting their experts in all things, everywhere.

Now, will anyone see anything when energies collide? Some will, some won't, in the same way some see a magic trick as it is presented and some see the act itself and not the illusion. The process is individual depending on where each one's process is at: not everyone is at the same place, as such many will simply follow a path that misses the event entirely.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I think it's interesting EvilDead.
And for the record some members
know everything about our exact
place, temperature and attitude
in the galactic plane.
Except for the part that they don't.

new topics

top topics

join