It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Billionaire plans to build "Titanic II"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Australian Billionaire planes to build "Titanic II"

www.tuoitrenews.vn

One of Australia's richest men, Clive Palmer, on Monday unveiled plans to build a 21st century version of the doomed Titanic in China, with its first voyage from England to New York set for 2016.

Palmer, a self-made mining billionaire, said he had commissioned state-owned Chinese company CSC Jinling Shipyard to construct Titanic II with the same dimensions as its predecessor.

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," Palmer said in a statement.

"Titanic II will sail in the northern hemisphere and her maiden voyage from England to North America is scheduled for late 2016."

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29-4-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/30/2012 by benevolent tyrant because: to correct spelling in thread title

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think this is awesome, I would definately buy a ticket to board a replica of Titanic, just not on its maiden voyage.....

I also hope that third class steerage is made to look nicer. Haha but Clive Palmer has always been a bit "nutty" when it comes to these things. He bought his daughter a multi million dollar yacht for her birthday, then accused America of conspiracy against Australia, and now he plans to run in federal politics.

Theres not much else to it than what is already given, the funnels as I am aware are going to be used for decoration purposes only as they are useless nowadays. Lets just hope they sport more than 16 lifeboats this time around.

www.tuoitrenews.vn
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
Lets just hope they sport more than 16 lifeboats this time around.

Yeah, that was my first thought.
His "replica" is going to have to be compromised in quite a large number of ways.
And in any case, while at 269m long, it was the largest ship for its day, it would be quite modest as far as modern cruise liners go.
A quick look at a few links online shows the "big ones" to be over 350m in length.

So.. he's planning to build a compromised, modest size cruise ship that will have nothing in common with the original except a rough approximate appearance.
Good one.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
Lets just hope they sport more than 16 lifeboats this time around.

Yeah, that was my first thought.
His "replica" is going to have to be compromised in quite a large number of ways.
And in any case, while at 269m long, it was the largest ship for its day, it would be quite modest as far as modern cruise liners go.
A quick look at a few links online shows the "big ones" to be over 350m in length.

So.. he's planning to build a compromised, modest size cruise ship that will have nothing in common with the original except a rough approximate appearance.
Good one.

No it will be pretty much exactly the same as the original. Historical teams are working with the builders to get everything spot on. However the only tweaks that will be made are modern equipment installed, and inside the funnels will be restaurants, and internet rooms etc.
But I think it will be insanely popular once it starts making voyages, its not just another "cruise ship", people will want to buy tickets to just check out the REAL locations on board. Walk through the grand staircase would be awesome.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
wow??
I thought people would have liked this news? No one has commented or flagged?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think his going to have alot of headaches building this monster in China, delays, "sorry la, more money" excuses, ect. These are the types of headaches I put up with everyday here, especally for him using a SEO shipbuilder, bloody hell, good luck there. You get for what you pay for Clive.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

Yeah thats what I was thinking, if it is "made in China" than I fear the quality isn't going to be as good where as if it were built in Australia or UK.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'm suspicious...

Since when have planes been able to build ships???

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I like the idea...BUT I can't help but feel this whole thing is bad juju.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If it's going to be made in China then I wouldn't be surprised if people started getting cancer because of the paint they used, or if it sinks after hitting a school of fish

Why not build this Ship in Belfast?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

If it's made in China quality it may suffer the same fate as its predecessor.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

This guys a CRETIN! He is no way self made...he is a rober barron, a "man" aka walking disease who got rich of the backs of thousands of crimes against life and people...not to mention the utter rape of the environment.

I hope he does build the titanic..then gets on it..then goes down with it...I rarely openly speak out on individuals but this guy sums up EVERYTHING wrong with our country...one huge egotistical fat sleazebag gulag commandant.

The man needs a face palm..in the head..with a brick.

Ro

`
edit on 30-4-2012 by Rosha because: editing

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
All the millions of starving, homeless and abused children, including those sold into sexual slavery in the world, and this guy with his Billions, wants another toy boat for his collection.

This is utterly conspicuously despicable, and totally repugnant where such wealth could be used to help the world as opposed to building a big new toy replica for people that have the scratch to play with and brag about.

booo on this guy.

If I had this guy's bank account, I'd be supplying impoverished areas around the globe with clean, renewable energy solutions, and be doing everything I could to end the suffering, exploitation, and slavery of others.

edit on 30-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Dunno why he would do this.

It's like making a dirrigible replica of the Hindenberg.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hindenberg makes me sad. Those airships were so fascinatingly majestic.
erm, something, 2nd line, something, erm.
edit on 30-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Smart man. It won't sink this time due to global warming = less icebergs.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
There were better ships than Titanic - Normandie would have been a better option. And Nobody would dress like they did when the first one was made so it would just be a floating museum with cruise-style passengers taking photos.

The bigger issue is this mental case is now trying to get into parliament, not to mention he doesn't want to build his Titanic in Australia where he made all his lovely money.

edit on 30-4-2012 by Garfee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

one question - what height will the water-tight bulkheads reach too ?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

edit on 30-4-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
This is actually really cool.

I've also thought it would be a cool idea to build a full size floating replica of the original titanic, for people to pay to go on and tour or what have you....I don't guess anyone has done that, but if I had the money, I would.

Anyway, a Titanic 2 with modern accommodations and what not?? Very interesting idea. Let's just hope it's maiden voyage goes better and they are able more prepared to handle emergencies!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join