It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armored Catfish Invading South Florida Lakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
commonsenseconspiracy.com...

Everyone loves catfish right. It’s smooth and has great meat for cooking. However, a species of catfish that is taking over South Florida lakes is giving the common catfish a bad reputation. The species Loricariidae is commonly referred to as the “armored catfish.” They are implants from South America that are surviving and thriving in South Florida waters, but they are not nearly as welcome as their normal catfish cousins. The name is fitting enough; they are very similar to a common catfish but have fins that are like spikes and rough scales on their backs. So, how did these survivors make their way into Floridian lakes? Well, the armored catfish is a popular species to purchase for aquariums because they have a penchant for algae and help keep fish tanks clean. So, it’s easy to see how they made the jump from local aquariums to the local lakes. All it takes is just a handful released into the wild in a hospitable environment to have a full-fledged invasion on your hands. And that is what is happening in Florida.

OK these are Plescostumus! Those lovable critters in your aquarium that eat all your algae.
I had one that grew to 18 inches. I loved him so much.

Box up some of those suckers and send them to me!

I suppose the environmental damage could be great. I hear there are gazilions of them there.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
well the solution is simple - kill them and feed the starving kids in Africa; 2 birds one stone

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Cool I really loved mine as well. It got real big and did a fantastic job cleaning my 45 gallon octagon tank. Wish I still had that setup. I know they were rather expensive in the fish stores when they were larger.

So wonder if I`ll ever be fishing for these in the future. What to use for bait? Algae tablets?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
/sarcasm on

I think I may have discovered who to blame for this problem...

Armored Catfish invasion

/sarcasm off

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
they're yummy!

after cooking, the armor 'scakes' slide back neatly - no need to descale them.

and the meat is nice golden and yummy like inbetween salmon & albacore tuna in texture.

and yeah the mutations are awesome aquarium scavengers though i prefer the cuter petiter corydoras!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal

OK these are Plescostumus! Those lovable critters in your aquarium that eat all your algae.

They can live through ANYTHING. My dad moved into a different house and forgot he had left one in the (unplugged) aquarium at the old house which stayed vacant for months. In the meantime it was fogged for bugs & rodents. He went back months later to check on the house and the aquarium had a couple of inches of water left in it and over that was an inch of gunk that included the rat and bug spray. Incredibly the Ples was still alive in the bottom of the aquarium, he rescued it and it lived for many more years.

I always knew they would take over the world. They deserve it, they're true survivors

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

OK, I have to post that story because it is mindblowing. Alligator eaten from the inside? A bathing jaguar eaten?

My god, that must have been one HUGE plec!

Mine never attacked me :-)

The species of “armored catfish” is damaging South Florida’s lakes, causing coastal erosion and even burrowing holes that trip up humans walking along the water’s edge. Last week alone, one young man in Pensacola fell into one of the fish’s trip holes and had his arm mauled off, all before locals were able to pull him out from the ravenous cluch of genetically engineered fish. Another group of hikers went into a lake for a cooling dip, to only be attacked with what they thought were ‘mutant pirhanas’. Later, they found out all their lacerations and missing digits were the result fo the invasive armored catfsih.

Gaming officials in Dade County, Florida, were shocked to respond to calls about a wounded 13-foot alligator that was found writhing in pain outside a rural bayou. The gator was missing two arms and an eye, letting out hisslike cries of agony. Officials decided to put the gator down and do a biopsy, to only find that it was being eaten from the inside by a clutch of armored catfish.

What’s even more terrifying is the intrinsic r (reproductive) values of these fish. Females can self-replicate through oogenesis, a new type of ‘genetic lesbianism’ that has been created by these scientists. One oogenized fish can give birth to 800 live offspring, who all grow to about two feet within a week.

Locals report they have seen pythons, small birds and even a bathing jaguar consumed and eaten by this new fish. The governor of Florida is expected to announce a potential state of Ecological Emergency by last this week.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Last week alone, one young man in Pensacola fell into one of the fish’s trip holes and had his arm mauled off, all before locals were able to pull him out from the ravenous cluch of genetically engineered fish. Another group of hikers went into a lake for a cooling dip, to only be attacked with what they thought were ‘mutant pirhanas’. Later, they found out all their lacerations and missing digits were the result fo the invasive armored catfish.

What’s even more terrifying is the intrinsic r (reproductive) values of these fish. ]Females can self-replicate through oogenesis, a new type of ‘genetic lesbianism’ that has been created by these scientists. One oogenized fish can give birth to 800 live offspring, who all grow to about two feet within a week.

didnt realize these Plecos were GMOs!

an experimental division of Monsanto may be discretely behind this field trial!!

someone's arm has been MAULED off and multiple wading hikers FINGERS were bitten off - and these fish were only released MONTHS ago and to top it off they can reproduce without fertilization - are they diploid or triploid?!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
ChristWire is a fictional site similar to the Onion that pokes fun at Christians.

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but for the benefit of those who don't know, the story about the alligator and the person losing their arm are made up.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Whoever invented the story wasn't bright enough to know that there's no Jaguars living in Florida. Cougars yes, but no Jaguars. Maybe the author is really from Floriduh.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Love these type of fish, definitely one of my favourite species!

Lovely little critters! Don't know about who wrote that article but it looks like a college-grad threw the info his boss told him too hahahaha.

Although GM animals are definitely real, so this could pose a major problem to the current wildlife and even the whole ecosystem in Florida.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
ChristWire is a fictional site similar to the Onion that pokes fun at Christians.

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but for the benefit of those who don't know, the story about the alligator and the person losing their arm are made up.

thank you for that.. as i read it i was guessing it was a spoof. being rather fantastical but i wasnt familiar with the website at all so was trying to get a read of it lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

stop putting them in the man made ponds to keep them clean.",,

www.youtube.com...#!

These little guy's??? lol,,

Although ignorance is bliss u know.

Here is an interesting comment i have seen,,,,

(Florida Cracker. at 1:35 PM April 21, 2012)
"tell the developers to stop putting them in the man made ponds to keep them clean.",,

and just how big are these man made ponds??
and i thought they belonged in aquariums?
millions?? really,,and no know nateral preditor?,,
hmmm wonder if OWLS being a night preditor,, and i do believe from my younger days,, catfish and night time go together,,

armored scales versus owl talons,,, hmmm what do you think,,
of course they would have too be approved for removal,, that should only take a couple of years,,,

"stop putting them in the man made ponds to keep them clean.",,
lol,,

Me.

edit on 30-4-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
After thinking a bit,,

remember the Buffalo? roamed the plains in herds so big,, yadda ,,,,

well lets say there are " 2million Armoured Catfish"
Fed./ State put up a $1m each.

announce a bounty of
$ 1.00 per/ Armoured Catfish ,,,
u know,,, wanted Dead or Alive
kind of .5 cents a bottle idea.

2million Armoured Catfish versus dollar a head bounty,,, good luck Armoured Catfish.
lol

hey worked for the Buffalo right?

Me.

top topics

join