It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gaza Kidnappers Free CNN Producer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

A kidnaped CNN producer has been released unharmed by his captors in Gaza. Riad Ali an Israeli Arab had been kidnaped yesterday by armed gunmen. Speculation centered on Hamas as being responsible, but there has been no conformation

news.yahoo.com
GAZA (Reuters) - Palestinian gunmen on Tuesday released an Israeli Arab producer for CNN television kidnapped a day earlier in the Gaza Strip.

Police officials told Reuters that Riad Ali was turned over to them in Gaza City. CNN confirmed Ali's release.

Israel Radio quoted Ali's father as saying he had spoken by telephone to his son who told him that he felt fine and was waiting to return home.

There was no claim of responsibility for Ali's abduction and no word on a possible motive. Israel Radio said he was snatched by members of Islamist militant movement Hamas, which denied any role in the incident.

Ali was abducted in Gaza City on Monday by Palestinian gunmen who stopped a CNN vehicle and asked for him by name.

Such incidents involving journalists have been rare in Gaza and the West Bank during the past four years of Israeli-Palestinian violence.

Israel allows journalists with Israeli citizenship to cross into areas under the administration of the Palestinian Authority after they sign a waiver releasing the Israeli Defense Ministry and military of any responsibility for their safety.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He had been abducted from a CNN vehicle with the gunmen asking for him by name. The kidnaping of journalists are rare in Gaza, and the Israeli government allows Israeli journalist in the area after they have signed a safety waver.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
TOP STORY: CNN Producer Seized in Gaza

[edit on 28-9-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 29-9-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Thankfully he was released. I assume that because these things are rare, that it was for a specific and unusual purpose (ie an important interview, etc). I also find it interesting that some people were supposing that the Israelis for some unknown reason were the ones who kidnapped him, apparently it was infact the palestinians.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If news like this keeps up, our soldiers will be home for Thanksgiving! We can all hope that the extremists know that their demands aren't going to met, no matter what kind of fear they try to instill in us!

Cool!

TCR

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't imagine that he was taken for the same purpose as other mideast kidnappings Intelearthling. This looks alot different from Al Q in Iraq for instance.

His position, and the fact that they specifically picked him out indicate this. Also, the fact that he was released in short order is also indicative of other purposes.

I tend to agree with Nygdan's reasoning on the issue. They have information that they need disseminated possibly. For various reasons, they may not wish to use the typical mouthpiece such as Al Jazeer etc.
They couldn't just walk into CNN offices and sit down to chat. I imagine that in their eyes, this was the safest way for them to have the contact they needed with a measure security (for them).

The kidnapping organization isn't after a 30 minute spot on the news. If it was Hamas, this guy is being used to ferry a message. I'm sure he would rather not be the one they chose for the task however.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

If it was Hamas, this guy is being used to ferry a message. I'm sure he would rather not be the one they chose for the task however.

TCR gets the cupie doll....

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The reason the Israelis were initially thought to be responsible is that Druze has consistantly taken a stance on palestinian rights despite being an Israeli citizen...

Also i doubt Hamas were involved, seeing as they dont take hostages and always call for the release of hostages (even in Iraq) and specifically called for the release of Druze...

This article outlines both my points

Although if he is being used to ferry a message it could be Hamas using new tactics (the fact he is pro palestinian rights may have been another reason they chose him)... its good to see he wasnt harmed though

[edit on 29-9-2004 by specialasianX]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Its a great story. But whats the point of taking him?

I cant believe they just let him go, after calling him by name.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Something smells

They let the Italian hostages go........

I think I get the message!

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
What message is that? Why is it suspicious that some hostages have been freed? Perhaps they decided that they didn't want to kill girls? Perhaps they figured it wasn't worth being hunted for the rest of their lives if they killed them?

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Maybe they are only killing the Americans and Brits.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I appreciate the fact that everyone assumes it had to be Palestinians that took him. He hasn't talked about it yet so all we know is that he was abducted.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Interesting...reminds me of a movie that I dont remember the name of.

A reporter was kidnapped, shown some things, and then released. Like stated above, used as a messenger, to suggest the eminent threat was real by a credible witness to the facts.

I wonder if an ultimatum, backed by a CNN producer having been shown some information or device of sorts, is being delivered right now to authorities.

You wont believe it by reading about a threat on some website like Al Jazeer until it's history. But if a CNN producer and his 'credibility' provides knowledge of some eminent plan or attack or device, he can authoritatively deliver a message of..."They want this or that,.. or they will do this..".

new topics

top topics

join