It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be telling the Aliens where we are..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
If, for some reason they accompany that 'hello' with a 'manned' or robotic mission, then, there's no telling how long that would take, unless they've harnessed the power of science fiction allowing them to travel FTL.

Well if the inhabitants of 581 have such capabilities they might be here a day after they get the invite.

I keep trying to get SETI to look for local space chatter... I mean after all if the aliens are already visiting us, I would expect to hear some ship to ship communication... or ship to landing party

Don't need FTL drives... simply warp space and step through...

or ride a gravity wave that is faster than thought...

or use quantum entanglement to send a message... we are just on the verge of THAT technology

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CADCatiaMan
What if we are the highest form of intelligence though?

We are not... Dolphins have us beat even on the home world

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

We are not... Dolphins have us beat even on the home world

You got that right,and they are already in cahoots with the ET's to rid this planet of the evil human species who are polluting they're home.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Sure, here I am, this is how my body works and how you can destroy it.

This is a road map to my home.

This is our technology................come get me.

Would you go outside right now and walk up to a human stranger and tell them your weaknesses?????

Ya know, the first astronauts didn't even have a pot to piss in - NASA actually forgot about going to the bathroom in outer space................yes look it up the first astronauts asked where do we go potty? and NASA forgot about that end of it (pun intended). Can you believe they didn't think of this????

Some of the people running the space program, you have to wonder how intelligent they are.

I'm a average Midwest retired housewife and I know better than to advertise here I am, a little old lady with two nice dogs and I live at _________ - come get me.

Law of the jungle and probably universe: Bigger, smarter things eat little, dumber things.

Space brothers coming to rescue us and hold hands singing Kumbaya is naive and wishful thinking.

It's eat or be eaten or best advice, lay low, keep under the radar, eyes open, ears pealed and stand ready.

I also have a gun, trained to use it and while I am normally friendly and nice, I am not aggressive - woe be to any intruder that breaks into my locked home, I will shoot first and ask questions later.

How did the Spaniards and the rest of Europe treat the Native American Indians and Africans?????

And, that's our own species.

Now, read many posts I have done on cops shooting dogs where people reply, "it was only a dog"........well maybe some alien could be saying, "it's only a homo sapien".

Don't go out and seek trouble, trouble will find you as it is.

That's been my life experience anyway and that's all I have to go on.

Reminds me of a story a old Chinese guy told me, One day there was a bird, it was late flying south for the winter, didn't start up with the rest of the flock.

Well, it's wings got frozen up, and the poor little bird fell into a pile of warm cow poop..............which warmed up the bird enough to save it.

The bird began to sing how happy it was to be warm and promptly got ate by a cat.

Got something good going for you...............keep quiet, lay low because someone sure as hell will come along and eat you if you begin to sing.

edit on 29-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Starred, I agree. Humanity is ruining our planet, warring with each other, allowing a few to have it all while tens of thousands starve and I got flamed in another post saying this was morally wrong.

Good reply.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

In the context of the thread- I assume intelligent species that are able to travel between star systems are being referred to in which case Yes I would think any species that can navigate the stars and travel between galaxies is able to find life on other planets rather easily.

I will agree that there are most likely intelligent beings in primitive states that mirror our own, seeking for life outside of their home system- but I believe the universe is teeming with life in all different stages and the ones being referred to in this thread are far more advanced then our own.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Cole87 because: poor grammer

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Would you mind elaborating?

Only because that statement interests me, not because I am saying your wrong.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Kinda funny how UFO skeptics say, "there's no ET spaceships here because they can't travel here!" but then they also wonder weather or not they should send out their location because what if the aliens invaded!?!?

(not saying this reflects you in any way, Rigel4, but some skeptics contradict themselves in the way mentioned above.)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Awesome image, thanks.
Didn't realise how close some of the more well known stars were. I guess it doesn't mean much when you see a number on stellarium, but when you see it like that it can kind of change your perspective quite a bit.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

But seriously, Dolphins can't do what we do. I dunno. Just a random thought.
*Opens window to let smoke out of room*.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
reply to post by CADCatiaMan

That is what i think too, you gota err on the side of caution in my opinion, sometime in the future
we might look like a good larder to something out there that is short of a food supply!

I look at it this way: if I was an alien and I wanted humans to be a maintainable food source, would I invade the planet, take it over and start raising humans in farms? Or would I secretly make a deal with some powerful people to help keep my presence hidden, then let the humans farm themselves (obesity epidemic anyone?!) and just harvest as much as you can while remaining concealed.

I don't know, to me it seems a much more sensible way of eating humans for a race that has figured out how to cross space, rather than coming here en-masse for an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Frankly, even if aliens wanted another resource on Earth other than humans - it would still be the far smarter play to stay hidden and let the humans harvest it for you. Slaves are far more sustainable when they don't know they're slaves. Taking over a planet and enslaving the race in an outright way is only going to lead to insurgence - and no matter how technologically advanced you are, an insurgent army can at the very least be a hindrance to your plans.

I know these are both fairly out there theories - but to me they make sense from the perspective of the aliens. 'Terraform and colonise' is about the only alien motive, in my opinion, that actually leads to all out invasion. Even with truly malevolent aliens, leaving the human infrastructure intact is almost always the better option.

So if they do ever invade, we probably won't know about it until after it's happened

Oh, and I believe there's balance in almost everything - so for every malevolent alien out there, there's a benevolent one too. I figure if there's a chance the malevolent ones are going to find us, might as well make sure the benevolent ones can find us (and potentially help us out!) too.
edit on 29-4-2012 by TheStev because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
NO absolutely not.

Unless and until WE develop the technology to find and assess the ability's and intent or ethics
of an alien race the last thing we should be doing is waving a huge electronic flag shouting
our presence.

We should know well enough from our own history what happens to cultures when a more
advanced group decide to help themselves.

like oh i dunno say the Roman empire into most of the known world at the time or Europeans
into north America or India, China Japan Australia.
in every case it did not go well for the indigenous population.

The odds are there are species out there that are at least on a level with us and probably
quite a few significantly more advanced and any interaction with them should be
treated with the utmost caution.

Remember the united federation of planets hasent been invented yet

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CADCatiaMan
But seriously, Dolphins can't do what we do. I dunno. Just a random thought.
*Opens window to let smoke out of room*.

So your saying putting smoke into your lungs makes you more intelligent than Dolphins?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
My attitude to this is that the question itself is utterly moot. The reason for that is as follows. We humans have been very careless with our signalling for the majority of the time that we have had communications technology. Although I would agree that such signals degrade quite significantly outside of a certain distance from our world, a sufficiently intelligent species could probably create analytical software that would be more than capable, not only of cleaning up a dirty signal at HUGE distances, but also of deciphering the messege and translating it. At the very least, an extra terrestrial intelligence capable of posing an insurmountable threat to us, certainly would be able to locate the origin of the signal.

So if a warlike intelligence came across the earliest of our signals, it wouldnt matter a god damn wether we think it was a good idea to send them.

Furthermore, there is this to consider. We humans are, by definition, curious, inquisitive, and inventive. It is our prime mission, from birth, until death, to discover. Some only discover the infinite space between thier ears, and others go further, to the depths of the oceans, to the heights of the tallest peaks, and even into the darkness beyond the blue of the sky. It is simply not in our nature as a species, to cower in safety and ignore the unkown. Surely there are many among our number who have that genetic fault, or have aquired such an anathemic attitude, but those run counter to the primordial demand that our psychology makes of us, to learn more about that which lies outside our experience.

If we are to fulfill our obligation to our nature, and explore the solar system, the galaxy, the wider cosmos (as I believe we must, in order to give us the best chance of surviving our home worlds eventual death at the hands of supernova or enormous NEO collision), then we have to accept that there are going to be things that we will encounter that may endanger us all. One of them will be encountering hostile alien intelligences. If we fall at the hands of such a species, as would seek to wipe us out, or enslave us, then so be it. But to shy away from potentially benificial, educational, and positive contact with a friendly species on the other hand, would be more of a cost to us than the loss of our entire speices to predators and monsters.

On a wider Darwinian point, if we cannot survive as a species, we do not deserve to. Therefore, we should follow our nature, and die or not, according to that will to strive and learn, not according to how well we can hunker down in the shadows, learning nothing, and knowing even less.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
I have thought about this before, but not recently, until i just finished watching the new film
"Battleship".

www.imdb.com...

The film is about NASA's broadcast to "Planet G" announcing where the location of Earth is. NASA finds the planet in the "Goldy-lox" zone, A term they are using to describe planets with Characteristics much like our own.

In other words planets that might be habitable based on our own Planet Earth.

Anyway the signal reaches Planet G , and the aliens send a small advance recon group, They are high tech, reptilian and very very dangerous. Fortunately they lose their comms ship on entry to Earth, and the battle begins, if they are allowed
to "Phone home" Human kind is doomed.

So my question is should Scientists be sending signals announcing our presence, and should they instead be figuring out ways to hide us from detection rather advertising our world to god knows what out there!!

Over to you.

this is the second thread i have been too, where the OP somehow watched the movie before it came out.

how did you watch it?

im 100% sure nobody is going to tell me.

so ill just say it.

OP = pirate lolololol.

jk.

somebody please just talk to me lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

So my question is should Scientists be sending signals announcing our presence, and should they instead be figuring out ways to hide us from detection rather advertising our world to god knows what out there!!

Sure, I say why the hell not! I mean, I can't imagine that a species that has advanced to the level of interstellar travel would be violent or anything. Sure, folks like to point out our human history that shows how things go when more advanced humans meet mud hut living humans.....but they forget to mention that we are getting better. Slowly but surely. I imagine that any advanced species in the universe has had similar histories, and that they eventually grew out of the stage that we are in.

What we are currently doing society wise is probably textbook civilization 101 for any sentient society. The fact that it probably takes an entire planet's worth of intelligence and resources to begin traversing the stars on a timescale that means anything is almost like a natural filter to ensure that planets in our stage don't have the ability to do any major harm outside our own solar system.

Think about it.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you for the map. That was very kind of you.

In regards to a reply to radio chatter, it would make sense to reply in kind, and/or (if FTL or equivalent capable), reply in kind from a proxy point in space (just in case we eat aliens), and then zip in for some concerted observation with alien popcorn and all to assimilate human cultural paradigms into an interpretive base so that when the reply message does come, the reaction can be monitored effectively in full and understood.

A charade, if the aliens are patient enough for that, could then be played out where we humans think we're communicating with a point around the Alpha Centari system, while the aliens hover around for chuckles and data collection regarding our reactions.

If gauged 'mostly harmless', then that assessment could be followed up by a full AI, or semi-sentient smart robotic sacrificial probe to act as emissary. Probe wouldn't be anything 'current' tech of course, just in case the monkeys are clever enough to back engineer it without destroying it.

Whatever the case, if there are aliens, then, regardless their intent or interest, if there ever is any kind of exchange, I'm sure it'll be fun.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Since radio has been developed we've been sending signals out into space so there is no 'should we....?'

Too late I'm afraid, by about 100 years.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
They already know where we are.

A civilization that is advanced 1000 or more years will have all type of technology to find intelligence life in a lot of places of the universe.

They use artificial intelligence droids to explore worlds and to report them any news.

I think that the greys are droids that an advanced civilization send to explore the universe.

One of my favorite ufo cases

edit on 30-4-2012 by lke123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
this is the second thread i have been too, where the OP somehow watched the movie before it came out.

A little OT, but to answer your question this film has already been released in many countries.

Battleship International Release Dates

It's like the opposite of normal movies, which generally come out first in the USA then later everywhere else.

But yes, it's probably on the scene by now as well - if I knew anything about that sort of thing

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join