It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US pastor burns Koran again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I searched for Pastor burns Koran but didnt see this pop up on the list.

Controversial US pastor Terry Jones has burned more copies of the Koran and a depiction of the prophet Mohammed to protest the imprisonment in Iran of a Christian clergyman, The Gainesville Sun reported. The newspaper said Jones and another pastor, who carried out their protest in front of their church in Gainesville, Florida on Saturday, demanded the release of Christian pastor Youcef Nadarkhani from an Iranian prison.

source

Looks like he thinks this will make Iran release the Christian pastor they have imprisoned. Anyone think there will be retaliation for this? Apparently he also burned images of Mohammad.

While I do think Iran is being incredibly stupid about holding this pastor, I definitely do NOT agree with the burning of ANY religious holy books.

Edit to add:

Found another source. Ignore the ignorant racist commenting on it at the bottom. This has pics of the event. I think its kind of funny that he is wearing a shirt that says infidel on it.

source 2

“We take no joy or pleasure in this particular act,” Jones said after the book was set afire, according to video footage posted online.

He also was fined for burning books.
edit on 29-4-2012 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

He also was fined for burning books

It was his book.

How can you be fined for destroying your own property?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Oh I see, some bogus fire department regulations.

Next time rent a wood chipper.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Good question. Im not sure.

According to the Sun, the Gainesville Fire Rescue issued Jones a citation after the demonstration because despite having authorization for a burn, he didn’t have approval to burn books.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Funny how the OP has a tagline that reads "Defending the Constitution with my last breath" but opposes this Pastor's freedom of speech.

WOW.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I do believe he has the freedom of speech. I also think everyone has freedom to worship as they wish. He can say what he wants.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the catch on the story. This annoys on so many levels that sometimes and for just a moment, I almost wish we had a law we could call upon for this toad. Yikes... Of course, free speech means tolerance to haters and fools equally with Shakespeare and anyone else with something to express.

I have to say that for as ugly as I find militant, extreme Jihadi fighters it's more than fair to say people like this can be described as worse. The Jihadi, to my reading and talking with a couple I believe were genuine, actually believes in what they do and to the point of literally choosing, in advance to die for it. What is this guy doing? He's coming up with the most extreme example he can think of to inflame the Islamic Community and...Iran??

Umm.. Tell me.. If some little preacher in a far off nation burned copies of our Constitution and legal code, would it make the slightest difference to a court preparing to execute a cop killer or some other Capital offender here? Why would Iran care more than to consider how some Americans obviously have far too much free time?? Iran isn't a personality cult like Saddam's Iraq or even a dictatorship. It's a major power with a LOONG history far older than our own as the Persian Empire.

This little living monument to stupidity did nothing but advance the cause of hate, unrest and the hard line between Islam and everything Christian in America...with absolutely nothing gained for it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Well, I guess he has the right to do it, according to the Bill of Rights. However, it certainly doesn't show much good sense, and it certainly doesn't say much for a person that supposedly spreads the word of God. Of course, it also doesn't show decent editorial decision, to publish such actions. Then again, the MSM enjoys stirring up trouble.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I wouldnt say this guy is worse than the extremist, but I'd put him pretty close to their ignorant level.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
He wants the attention. If people would ignore this guy, it would all go away. he has the right to burn the book. Okay. We get that. Now go away. All he wants is his picture in the MSM.
edit on 4/29/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I think you summed this jack wagon up pretty well.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

In result? No.... I would never mean to suggest that he brings results worse than a Jihadi fighter. However, in motivation and 'honor'...in that deep sense of why one does things, I believe he is the lesser of the two examples.

No one need wonder about my mental health...I have no love of any form for Jihadi radicals actively fighting us. I can hate the fighters but respect them at the same time. This Pastor though is beneath anything like respect, IMO.

The first time he did this, is was really low class and foolish. No biggy though and nothing TOO bad came from it. I figured he'd have learned. This second time, he knows by experience it'll do nothing but bring hate and discontent by the truckload....right behind the MSM.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
He wants the attention. If people would ignore this guy, it would all go away. he has the right to burn the book. Okay. We get that. Now go away. All he wants is his picture in the MSM.
edit on 4/29/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

indeed

and he not actually helping this pastors case

you can bet the prosecution will mention this a-hole

not that i have any sympathy at all for the pastor with the persecution complex

if islamic clerics went door to door preaching the word of mohamed
or broke any felony laws in this pastors hometown...

then again:
Christian evangelical organizations as fronts for the CIA; news from Uganda.
aangirfan.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I think that it's interesting that he also burned an image of the prophet Muhommad, because there are no images of the prophet in Islam. It's forbidden. Unlike Christ whom we see many different depictions of, you'll never see such a thing of Muhommad. So I'm wondering what this image was that he used, because it doesn't exist in Islam.

All in all, however, I'm just disgusted by the behavior (I'm a Christian by the way). This is not Christian behavior...this is not right.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Well, I feel yes, he has the freedom of speech but, to me it is morally wrong to burn any type of religious book as it is very disrespectful. I don't think he should have done that. Just shows that he is very immature..

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It is just a book just as the Bible is just a book or Websters dictionary is just a book. There is nothing holy about any of those books. They were all printed using modern techniques not the hand of God.

The original copies of these books might have some intrinsic religious value, aside from their antiquity, but even those were written by man and not a god.

How long are we going to allow others to control the way we think or feel about something? Burn any book you want, as long as it is not my personal copy, and more power to you. The only way someone can infringe on your beliefs or values is if you allow them to.

I think I'm going to burn my copy of Fahrenheit 451 tomorrow. Any Ray Bradbury fanatics out there going to get upset.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I dont care about this crap to the point where I came into your thread to tell you about it.

See.. part of me thinks this guy should get a soap/blanket party like they did in the Marines back in the good old days before I was born. Hes obviously trying to stir up more commotion than his pay grade should allow.-joke btw*(the pay grade part) he should have been banned from any doom and gloom stories after his first incident.

Hes not that special to get all worked up over.

I think all organized religion is a joke. But you dont see my doin stupid crap like this.

yea, its his right.

its my right as well if I want to let it bother me or not.

So I chose NOT. - Although- I think he could use a nice punch in the cheek. But hey- thats just my free speech talking.

Im tired of all the war drums////for reals. Make love, not war. If they dont agree as a nation - f-em. They dont have to.
Just dont expect much from us when something goes south. I feel the sentence prior to this one should also be aimed at the Pastor. Dont talk mad unless you have a disease, otherwise people will want the same idiotic justice you thought you were serving by burning a book full of something you cant understand.

Cause no matter how hard I try- I will never get how people become so blind to the life around them for a life that was never meant for them. Different times, different rules...dont do this, dont do that....do this...but dont do that.
God or Allah- whoever you believe in under whatever religious sector- is very confusing for the times we are in today. Like giving us a user manual for life- only its a Windows 98 version and not Win7(which comes with all the proper codecs to survive the workload).

For some reason- I really dont think God or Allah cares about such petty problems, cause if he did- this wouldnt be an issue.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Gainesvil le Florida - Fire code / ordinances

Open Burning
Per City of Gainesville Municipal Code, Chapter 10: Fire Prevention and Protection, Article VI: Open and Outdoor Burning, the only open burning allowed in the City of Gainesville is for cooking, such as barbecue grills, smokers, or other devices designed specifically for that purpose. (See below for using cooking devices on balonies.) Agriculture, forest operations, or land-clearing burns may also be authorized with a permit under certain conditions. For questions regarding burning in the City of Gainesville, please call the Risk Reduction Bureau at 352-334-5065.

Hope this helps on why he was cited.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

Controversial US pastor Terry Jones has burned more copies of the Koran and a depiction of the prophet Mohammed to protest the imprisonment in Iran of a Christian clergyman, The Gainesville Sun reported.

If he really wants to make them angry, why doesn't he go over there with a gun and shoot at them?

I'm sure his god will protect him...
edit on 30/4/12 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
He has a right to burn a book if he wants, as long as he stays within the fire codes.
But honestly, I'm wondering about his mental state. This is some strong attention
seeking stuff he's doing. I'm glad the MSM ignored him this time around.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join