It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are about 90% people worldwide Right-handed? what causes Left-handedness & ambidexterity?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I was in honors maths and sciences throughout highschool.

Talented people in mathematics show higher activation of the right hemisphere than non talented.

I think there's natural lefties and lefties from neonatal damage.

The former has the larger corpus callosum, and utilizes both hemispheres efficiently.

The latter likely has left brain damage and compensates by utilizing the right brain more than most righties.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I was in honors maths and sciences throughout highschool.

Talented people in mathematics show higher activation of the right hemisphere than non talented.

I think there's natural lefties and lefties from neonatal damage.

The former has the larger corpus callosum, and utilizes both hemispheres efficiently.

The latter likely has left brain damage and compensates by utilizing the right brain more than most righties.

hya
that seems to fit my criteria
any sources plz
cheers
dave

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I'm kind of a lefty. And also kind of ambidextrous. I can only write left handed. When i try to write with my right hand it comes out like chicken scratch. I eat with my right hand. When boxing my hands are almost equal. My right arm is a little faster and my left arm is a little stronger. When playing baseball or golf i can go both ways. I'm terrible at bowling but i can only bowl right handed. Left handed was dangerous for others around me.

I don't think people are born left handed. Your not born anything. Its all in the training. You train yourself to wright and you will mainly focus on one hand. Since the old days more people were right handed and those people are still around training today. As time progresses and we realize that children will do better in the long run if we let them make their own decisions it will balance to about 50/50.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I saw a lot of people use their left hands for the more "artsy" stuff and right hands for sports. That's how I am too. But during my Army years I would shoot left handed because as someone stated earlier we have eye and ear dominance too. Does that my my brain is all jacked up in a completely off topic way and consider shooting an art form? =)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I honestly don't know why there is such a prevalence of right-handers exactly. I suppose there may be many factors, but a primary underlying one may be the Cooperation vs. Competition theory that another poster mentioned.

Even horses that are very social animals have a right vs. left dominance. Most horses will bend better to their left, although most seem to prefer their right lead for foot fall left to their own. My gaited mare was the other way around however. Only horse I have ever had that was. Funny thing that. Never thought about it before.

I am right hand dominant, but I use both hands for many things including drawing/painting/carving and writing. I am also overwhelmingly left eye dominant. When I was in the first grade they insisted I "pick a hand" and when I couldn't of my own, they chose my right; and proceeded to scold and discipline me accordingly to "encourage" the use of that hand.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'm a lefty. Write with my left hand, can do most sports with either hand, except golf -which I play right handed, and I use scissors right-handed.

My grandparents were both right handed, and had 5 children-all of whom were lefties. Each of those kids had two children, and in each case the eldest is a lefty and the youngest is a righty. I had high hopes that the trend towards left-handed ness would continue with the latest generation, but alas, all of my kids are right handed. I feel sorry for them!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I always understood it as a style of learning as a child. The child can't differentiate between itself and others. Like looking in a mirror it moves the left hand to match the right hand of the person facing them. I was under the impression that it was difficult for them to be aware of others perception. They were unable to imagine viewing some thing from anothers point of view. It is not to say they are self centered in a bad way just unable to remove themselves from there own perception.

And just to think so many Presidents were left handed. Maybe they are self centered bastards like everybody thinks they are.

And to add it would explain the problem of artistic style. Unable to be imaginative in art but being great at realistic art. Being great math and science. Things like drama class would be difficult.
edit on 17-1-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That's an incredibly interesting perspective!

I am thought to have "aspergers" by my family, though never bothered to get Dx.

I do, however, recall seeming to go through the infantile stage of not perceiving other outside myself until puberty.

It actually seemed to lead to the opposite than an egocentric perspective. It seems I became much more spiritually inclined as a child than most, though as an adult that changed into a meta-perspective beyond conception.

Erm, it's appropriate to add: lefty here
edit on 17-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I don't think it is a handicap of any kind. Just a different way of seeing the world. You see the world from your self. You learn from viewing things from your self. You don't remove yourself to learn from others or put yourself in their shoes to learn. It is not bad. Just mirrored.

I am a rightie. But have dealt with many lefties with power tools and had to give them warnings of why they needed to be ambidextrous or they needed to buy left handed power tools. Workmans comp does not want to hear they used a right handed power saw with there left hand and cut there fingers off because there was no guard to protect them. Or that you did not have a proper left handed saw for them on the job site.
edit on 17-1-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I was born a leftie, but on May 15, 2011 I became sorta ambidextrous. I had a stroke. On my left side. So now I write equally well with both hands. I haven't gotten any better with my right hand, I just can't write so well with my left any more. Can't type either. I used to type 100wpm then one day the best I can do is 20. I still do no better than 25 on my best days. I began smoking with my right hand. I used to switch all of the time. Had no stains that way. Now it is almost exclusively with my right so the stain is awful. Tried being a lawn mower mechanic, but could not work wrenches very well any more. And I am half deaf so I got fired for being too slow and not being able to hear bad pulleys.

I used to love being left handed. Now it is a curse. I miss being able to play video games and write well and tying my shoes. I always felt the righties had been slighted by nature somehow. Since the stroke I seem to fit in more with the world as I use my right hand a lot now.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Brilliance and creativity, of course if you were left handed you'd already know that.

J/k hello to all my fellow lefties
edit on 1/17/2013 by geocom because: Damn this touchscreen

Forgot to add that there was a times could do two different equations at the same time one with my left one with my right my friends and teachers all thought it was weird but it was a fun party trick , I can still write with both hands at the same time although the right looks I am in third grade
edit on 1/17/2013 by geocom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Right handed people are predominantly left brained (left hemisphere): more analytical by nature than creative (which is a right brained trait)....in ''nature'' it might be closer to 50/50 but in reality "nurture" or training a child to use a dominant hand should also skew the net result somewhat.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join