Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Why are about 90% people worldwide Right-handed? what causes Left-handedness & ambidexterity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Right-handedness is most common. Right-handed people are more dexterous with their right hands when performing tasks. A variety of studies suggest that 70-90% of the world population is right-handed, rather than left-handed or any other form of handedness.

Left-handedness is less common than right-handedness. Left-handed people are more dexterous with their left hands when performing tasks. A variety of studies suggest that 10% of the world population is left-handed.

Ambidexterity is exceptionally rare, although it can be learned. A truly ambidextrous person is able to do any task equally well with either hand. Those who learn it still tend to sway towards their originally dominant hand.

i searched all over but couldnt find why in the human population, is right-handedness so dominant, up to 90% of the world population. in other species, sometimes it is almost always left-handed or (left-clawedness) that is the norm.

what is your theory?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

hi op

im left handed when i write
but when i play snooker or cricket im opposite
funnily though i can play darts with both hands
theres many a story of us leftys being called satans children
and kids left hand being tied back in catholic schools

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart

LOL, heard of that too.

Stupid religion and their superstitious nonsense.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

Theory is cooperation vs competition...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Left handed people are right brained. I'm a lefty and use my left hand for writing and finer tasks. With soccer I kick with my right leg, I hit with my right hand, shoot a bow like a right handed person, rifle too.

Tennis I play with my left hand. So left is for the more accurate things, and the right is more for brute force, in general.

I think lefties have a better connection between brain hemispheres, but that is just a theory.
edit on 29-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Originally posted by davesmart

LOL, heard of that too.

Stupid religion and their superstitious nonsense.

My mom is ambidextrous because she was born left handed and learned to (or was beaten into submission) when she went to catholic school growing up. The nuns there would smack her hands with a ruler to "train" her to use her right hand if they saw her using her left. If she kept using it, they would slap her butt with a wooden paddle. Her parents extended the "training" at home.
I thank her all the time for not raising me in that kind of environment.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

It seems to me that more lefties are capable of using both hands with dexterity while those who are right handed seem almost handicapped when it comes to their left hand. I am a lefty but I use my right hand for many things. I can write with either but left is much prettier. I bowl left but play golf right.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
....You also have a dominance in your ears and eyes.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I am left handed and can do most things with both hands except for writing. Left handers will be better using the opposite hand because we usually have to adapt growing up. When I first started learning MMA I learnt orthodox but then switched to Southpaw so I am equal in both stances. I have also noticed a lot of left handers tend to be better at drawing in college and UNI.
edit on 29-4-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname

So left is for the more accurate things, and the right is more for brute force, in general.

That is exactly my case. Anything that requires dexterity, gentleness, or finesse, I use my left. Anything requiring strength, destruction, or violence, I use my right.

Left - writing, somatic rituals, screwdrivers, eating, drinking, smoking, shaving, combing my hair, soap use, etc.

Right - fighting, scissors, throwing, strumming hand on guitar, knife work, hammers, saws, etc.

Glad to see somebody else mix it up!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

I'm exactly the same.

I write and draw with my left, but anything sports related I do with my right.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Also, I think lefties have to use both, because so many things are made specifically for right handed people. We have to be somewhat ambidextrous.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

the trauma of a broken right arm as a child allowed me to become ambidextrous. if there is a conspiracy maybe the schools are involved since they pattern as well as parents possibly the selection of dominant hand use.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It was discovered, about 20 years ago, that in utero one of the baby's arms sticks out of the placenta and sort of pushes or strokes the amnioatic sac around. It appears - I don't know if there has been a thorough census of pregnancies for this - that approx 90% of the time it's the fetus's right arm that pokes through. I do not know if anyone has established that the dominant hand in childhood is that the same that was poking through in utero but it seems plausible.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname

I think lefties have a better connection between brain hemispheres, but that is just a theory.

Not theory, it's true. On average, the corpus callosum is 11% larger than righties.

We share this with females, but have larger brains, too..score!!
edit on 29-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
is it true in Salem with trials (and others?)

Lefties were accused of witch/craft and hung to death?

i've heard such stories and some thing called lefthand path but google didnt produce anything particular..

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
en.wikipedia.org...

Right-handedness is most common. Right-handed people are more dexterous with their right hands when performing tasks. A variety of studies suggest that 70-90% of the world population is right-handed, rather than left-handed or any other form of handedness.

Left-handedness is less common than right-handedness. Left-handed people are more dexterous with their left hands when performing tasks. A variety of studies suggest that 10% of the world population is left-handed.

Ambidexterity is exceptionally rare, although it can be learned. A truly ambidextrous person is able to do any task equally well with either hand. Those who learn it still tend to sway towards their originally dominant hand.

i searched all over but couldnt find why in the human population, is right-handedness so dominant, up to 90% of the world population. in other species, sometimes it is almost always left-handed or (left-clawedness) that is the norm.

what is your theory?

Most people might be right handed, but the best overcome it!!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The word 'Sinister" comes from latin for "Left"
Wiki, of course!

Historically, the left side, and subsequently left-handedness, was considered negative in many cultures. The Latin word sinistra originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister". Alternatively, sinister comes from the Latin word sinus meaning "pocket": a traditional Roman toga had only one pocket, located on the left side. The right hand has historically been associated with skill: the Latin word for right-handed is dexter, as in "dexterity", meaning manual skill. Even the word "ambidexterity" reflects the bias. Its intended meaning is "skillful on both sides". However, since it keeps the Latin root dexter, which means "right", it ends up conveying the idea of being "right-handed at both sides". This bias is also apparent in the lesser-known antonym "ambisinistrous", which means "clumsy on both sides".[8] In more technical contexts, "sinistral" may be used in place of "left-handed" and "sinistrality" in place of "left-handedness".[9]

Haters be hatin' for thousands of years. We're still here frontin' our sinestral badassery...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I'm a lefty, and I must say that....IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!! lol I honestly don't know why, but I do know that it is officially listed as a disability. You can get grants and stuff here in the U.S. from colleges and universities.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
That's really interesting to see so many other lefties that use their right hands as well! I always tell people I use my left hand for precision and my right hand for strength. Even though I write and eat with my left hand, I could not use my left hand to open a jar. I use my right hand for throwing and cutting etc.

All the fingers on my right hand are a half size larger than the fingers on my left hand, I imagine it is because they have a bit more muscle from the different activities I use each hand for. One way this affects me is that when it is cold outside my ring gets loose on my left ring finger and I have to switch it to my right ring finger. Yet when I get too hot, my fingers swell so the same ring is too tight for my right ring finger and I have to switch it back to my left ring finger.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Angelaisaac because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join