It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Asked to Investigate Obama Campaign as illegal IRS documents obtained to smear Romney

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
First a glance at the letter sent to the DOJ and Assistant Attorney General.

Letter

The National Organization for Marriage is asking the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate and prosecute the individuals responsible for leaking the organization’s confidential U.S. tax return and then illegally publishing it.

The stolen tax return was first published by the Human Rights Campaign and subsequently the Huffington Post. HRC is led by Joe Salmonese , who also serves as a co-chairman of President Obama's reelection committee.

Here is what they "exposed" on their Human Right's Campaign website on March 30 in an attempt to expose the group’s donors. Publication of the material is a felony, punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to five years.

Hrc.com

The Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization, today released never-before-seen financial documents from the National Organization for Marriage showing a $10,000 donation from Mitt Romney’s PAC in 2008. HRC called on Mitt Romney to disavow the racially divisive tactics of the National Organization for Marriage, which HRC this week revealed to be engaging in a plan to “drive a wedge between gays and blacks” and manipulate the Latino community.

Here's the Huffington Posts article they published on their website.

Huffingtonpost.com

In 2008, Mitt Romney's political action committee made a $10,000 donation to the National Organization of Marriage at a time when the anti-gay rights organization was seeking repeal of a California law legalizing marriage equality

Looks like anyone who opposes the LGBT community according to the HRC website are racists. The below article Comes from NOM in which they release evidence showing that stolen tax return came from the Internal Revenue Service, demands criminal investigation.

NOM.com

"The American people are entitled to know how a confidential tax return containing private donor information filed exclusively with the Internal Revenue Service has been given to our political opponents whose leader also happens to be co-chairing President Obama's reelection committee," said NOM President Brian Brown. "It is shocking that a political ally of President Obama's would come to possess and then publicly release a confidential tax return that came directly from the Internal Revenue Service. We demand to know who is responsible for this criminal act and what the Administration is going to do to get to the bottom of it."

And then after NOM publishes their findings, the next day they quietly remove the illegally obtained information.

NOM.com

Following the release yesterday of proof by the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the source of leaked confidential donor information, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) removed from its website all reference to NOM's un-redacted 2008 1099 tax form, which it had previously posted. The action by the Human Rights Campaign comes within a day of NOM's attorneys contacting them and demanding they remove the materia is a clear indication of the seriousness of the criminal activity that has occurred.

edit on 29-4-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

edit on 29-4-2012 by Daedal because: Spelling

edit on Sun Apr 29 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: mod edit to title to reflect spirit of the source article

The National Organization for Marriage is asking the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate and prosecute the individuals responsible for leaking the organization’s confidential U.S. tax return and then illegally publishing it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

This is how thugs work, does this surprise anyone that Obama would be a part of if or his team that he has put together.

They are criminals and should be nailed for it. However they won't be, just another thing they will sweep under the already buldging carpet.

Funny really... more of this will come out and it will happen on both sides... paving the way for ron paul to win the presidency.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
[ paving the way for ron paul to win the presidency.

Just what I was thinking. Let them rip each other apart. Show the people what they're really about. Then more will notice who the clear choice is and has been all along.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

released never-before-seen financial documents from the National Organization for Marriage showing a $10,000 donation from Mitt Romney’s PAC in 2008.

A presidential candidate, a PAC and an NGO?

Like hell people should be mad. In fact, why not make the financials fully public for all of these groups/people. Including the HRC.

They are all public entities, make them act like it....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I don't mean to sound unkind, but is this the same source that said Obama has a fake birth certificate? Because that potentially huge story made it no further than local news or this site! What I'm trying to say is that although what you're saying makes perfect sense, don't take one source as evidence

edit on 29-4-2012 by nimsu1987 because: missed word

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Tax documents are not "secret", anyone can obtain tax records of a "tax-exempt or political organization" like NOM with a simple FOIA request. (www.irs.gov...). NOM claims a non-profit status, thus it's tax returns are fully available to anyone who requests it with either a form 990 or 4506.

Calling it "stolen" is an attempt by NOM to manufacture outrage at having it's finances exposed. It's a political lobbying organization hiding behind a tax-exempt status which is illegal.

Just to reiterate: ANY organization claiming 501(c) tax-exempt status has NO right to claim it's 990 form is "private". I could, right now, request NOM's form 990 via the IRS Web site.

This claim that the form was "stolen" is complete BS, as is the claim that the Obama admin is "under investigation". The IRS only issued a blanket statement that they'll look into it - and I think as soon as they see that this is a legally obtained document NOM will be S.O.L.

I applaud the HuffPo for publishing this document and this is the reason why we have the FOIA, so we can see just where some of these "tax-exempt" organizations really come from. In NOM's case - it's a front for the Mormon church to lobby against gays.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Not completely correct.

You are right that non profits must release their tax filing info (IRS 990). However part B of that return, the part that lists Donor information and amounts, is confidential and is suppose to be redacted prior to release.

Its that section, part B, that is causing all the hoopla.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

NOM is not a public charity it is a private non-profit foundation. A public charity does not have to reveal their donors, but a private foundation is not exempt. NOM is listed as a 501(c)(4), and is not a charitable organization.

501(c) organization
Public charity

See "Alliance for Justice: Give Me Your 990!" guide here.

Public charities are not obligated to reveal information about contributors. The law permits public charities to omit the names and addresses of contributors in Schedule B, as well as any identifying information in
Schedule B, Part II.

Private foundations, however, are required to reveal information about contributors. Private foundations cannot omit contributor names and addresses.

Wikipedia:
The National Organization for Marriage (NOM) is an American non-profit political organization established in 2007

And from nonprofitexpert.com:
Public Disclosure Requirements

This general exclusion for contributor information on annual returns does not apply to private foundations, or to political organizations described in section 527. Certain tax-exempt political organizations are required to report the name and address, and the occupation and employer (if an individual), of any person that contributes in the aggregate $200 or more in a calendar year on the Schedule A of Form 8872. Tax-exempt political organizations may also be required to file Form 990, including Schedule B. Political organizations are required to make both of these forms available to the public, including the contributor information

Tax-exempt political organizations may also be required to file Form 990, including Schedule B. Political organizations are required to make both of these forms available to the public, including the contributor information

So to sum up: NOM is a tax-exempt political organization, 501(c)(4). It has to list and make publicly available it's list of donors (schedule B).

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Are you sure? IRS 990 does not list 501 c4 as an exempted entity that is required to disclose part B. It actually states the opposite. I got the impression that the reason for the lawsuit / challenge / complaint was specifically because section B, for their classification by the IRS, was confidential (donor names).

I could be wrong so no worries.. Just curious..

IRS 990

Public Inspection
• Schedule B is open to public
inspection for an organization that files
Form 990-PF.
• Schedule B is open to public
inspection for a section 527 political
organization that files Form 990 or
990-EZ.
• For all other organizations that file
Form 990 or 990-EZ, the names and
addresses of contributors are not
required to be made available for public
inspection. All other information,
including the amount of contributions,
the description of noncash
contributions, and any other
information, is required to be made
available for public inspection unless it
clearly identifies the contributor.

edit on 29-4-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Here is the letter NOM sent to the IRS and publicized all over the Web:

Do you see that very last bracketed paragraph?

[...] other than a private foundation, as defined in section 509(a) or a political organization exempt from taxation under section 527) which is required to furnish such information.

NOM is a "political organization exempt from taxation" - as posted to their Wiki page:
National_Organization_for_Marriage

The National Organization for Marriage (NOM) is an American non-profit political organization established in 2007

By NOM's own definition as they describe in their letter, they are the type of "political organization exempt from taxation" that is required to furnish such information. Their own letter undermines their position - but I don't think their letter was designed to impress the IRS with a need to investigate anything, the letter was really meant for the public masses NOM wanted to garner faux outrage from.

And I still don't see how this is being attributed back to Obama, even the NOM letter makes no connection to Obama, only to HRC. (and HuffPo states they got the .pdf doc from HRC).

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Is the wikipedia link directly attributed by NOM or independent outside contributors. The reason I ask is because of the exclamation point at the top of the article which states.

Wiki.com

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. Its neutrality is disputed. Tagged since January 2012. It may be unbalanced towards certain viewpoints. Tagged since January 2012.

Can you find a more reputable source than this that clarifies they are a political organization?

ETA: I did find this on the wiki page pertaining to the status of 501(c) (4)

wiki.com

Contributions to 501(c)(4) organizations are not deductible as charitable contributions for the U.S. income tax. 501(c)(4) organizations are not required to disclose their donors publicly.

edit on 29-4-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Obama Campaign under investigation as illegal IRS documents obtained to smear Romney

When I see a title like this...I kind of expect to see proof that the Obama campaign is in fact under investigation.

So...where is that proof??? Who is investigating them exactly???

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Obama Campaign under investigation as illegal IRS documents obtained to smear Romney

When I see a title like this...I kind of expect to see proof that the Obama campaign is in fact under investigation.

did you read the very first link of the OPs thread.... apparently not.. but you saw the title did your skim through and bam you are on the attack.. I don't kinda expect this from you.. I fully expect it from you, because it doesn't matter about facts to you.

The ship is leaving and your king obama is tied to the front... where are you?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Obama will never be held responsible,for what his Campaign does. It will ALWAYS be someone else,to fall on the sword....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

did you read the very first link of the OPs thread.... apparently not.. but you saw the title did your skim through and bam you are on the attack.. I don't kinda expect this from you.. I fully expect it from you, because it doesn't matter about facts to you.

The ship is leaving and your king obama is tied to the front... where are you?

I saw the letter from NOM to the DOJ.

So who is investigating the Obama campaign??? Is NOM??? Because sending a letter to the DOJ does not mean the district attorney is investigating anything.

So...who is investigating the Obama campaign...seems like a very simple question.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

A letter to the DOJ was the request to investigate.

The stolen tax return was first published by the Human Rights Campaign and subsequently the Huffington Post. HRC is led by Joe Salmonese , who also serves as a co-chairman of President Obama's reelection committee.

Here is what they "exposed" on their Human Right's Campaign website on March 30 in an attempt to expose the group’s donors. Publication of the material is a felony, punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to five years.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Tax documents are not "secret", anyone can obtain tax records of a "tax-exempt or political organization" like NOM with a simple FOIA request.

Maybe you dont know how FOIA works.........

To date, agencies have failed to acknowledge receipt of or respond to 23 of these requests. The following agencies have not sent an email or letter responding to POGO’s request: the Department of the Treasury; the IRS; the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement (BOEMRE); Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS); and the Department of Justice (DOJ). Three FOIA offices—those of the Army, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and the Department of Energy (DOE)—have acknowledged some but not all of the requests POGO sent to them. POGO received only 8 final, conclusive responses to FOIA requests within 20 business days. But in five of those cases, the agencies told POGO that after a search there were no documents that could fulfill the request. POGO received two additional responses shortly after the 20-day mark.

SUNSHINE WEEK: Many Agencies Violate FOIA's 20 Day Requirement

This happens alot,actually.

Now if we could only get a FOIA request,on Obamas school Transcripts,since he was ALL about Transparency,at one time.....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

A letter to the DOJ was the request to investigate.

A request to investigate does not mean anyone is under investigation.

I could have my lawyer write up a letter right now to the DOJ to request them to investigate anyone I want....doesn't mean there is an investigation.

Plus...the letter to the DOJ never mentions "Obama" or his campaign.

So...the title states that "Obama Campaign under investigation"....and that is just 100% false.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Here is the letter NOM sent to the IRS and publicized all over the Web:

Do you see that very last bracketed paragraph?

[...] other than a private foundation, as defined in section 509(a) or a political organization exempt from taxation under section 527) which is required to furnish such information.

NOM is a "political organization exempt from taxation" - as posted to their Wiki page:
National_Organization_for_Marriage

By NOM's own definition as they describe in their letter, they are the type of "political organization exempt from taxation" that is required to furnish such information. Their own letter undermines their position - but I don't think their letter was designed to impress the IRS with a need to investigate anything, the letter was really meant for the public masses NOM wanted to garner faux outrage from.

And I still don't see how this is being attributed back to Obama, even the NOM letter makes no connection to Obama, only to HRC. (and HuffPo states they got the .pdf doc from HRC).

Your wrong NOM is a 501(c)(4) organization meaning contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for the US income tax.And 501(c)(4) organizations are not required to disclose their donors publicly,Which means the only person that should know who made donations is the IRS.If the information was requested you get a page with a bunch of black ink. And think about this do you think there attorneys would have filed this if they didnt know the IRS wasnt to release this information?
edit on 4/29/12 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

"Tax-exempt Political Organizations" are required to disclose their donors. That comes straight from the IRS Web site and the other sources I listed. NOM is a Tax-exempt Political Organizations, no matter how they may pretend to be otherwise.

There is also no substance behind the claim that the Obama admin. is being investigated at all. The post title "DOJ Asked to Investigate Obama Campaign" is completely false. The NOM letter only asks that A investigation be conducted, they only name HRC as the source of the 'leaked' document.

Here is another good analysis of this event;
National Organization for Marriage’s 2010 financial records raise questions
(Washingtonindependent.com)
It details the work of Fred Karger, an openly-gay GOP candidate has been the harshest critic of NOM and has in the past obtained tax documents of NOM and it's connection to the Mormon church:

Perhaps the man who trusts NOM the least is Fred Karger – least known for his long-shot GOP presidential campaign as the first openly gay candidate, but best known for exposing the Mormon Church’s extensive financial involvement in California’s Proposition 8 campaign that overturned the legalization of same-sex marriage in 2008.

After obtaining classified Mormon documents from an anonymous source, Karger has maintained his belief that the National Organization for Marriage was set up by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) as a front group to funnel money for political campaigns against the legalization of same-sex marriage. Ever since, Karger has been tailing NOM’s every move – ready to file a complaint each time it funds a political campaign and fails to register or disclose its donors.

This year Karger started hounding NOM for its 990s a month before they were due. He told TAI that in late October he sent one of his campaign staffers to NOM’s D.C. headquarters on K Street, who came back empty-handed. He then mailed an accusatory letter to recently named NOM chairman John Eastman, which soured the staffer’s ability to collect the forms on a subsequent visit to NOM’s office on Nov. 16.

If anyone was obtaining financial records of this group, it would be this guy.

I'll ask the ATS to review this post as a hoax, since even the source's in the OP make no connection between the "stolen" public document and Obama.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join