It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming collapse: what should one expect? How does one survive?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
7 billion people live on our planet, sustained mainly buy mass industrialized agriculture, which without
oil will rapidly gind to a halt. It is at this stage that the superpowers of the world will attempt
to exert influence, maybe togeather or more likely individually to get things going again. which ever
party is most successful at mobilizing and controlling vast areas will have quickly conquered their new empires.
empiral americal, china and russa.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It's difficult to compare the 1930's to the global meltdown in 2012/2013 many are expecting because the situations are completely different. In the 1900's, there were terrible droughts adding to the political upheavel and financial crashes. The people of those times had it tough, they had less electronics and creature comforts to assist them and worked hard for what they got. Also, the population of the US in 1930 was approximately 125,578,730. It is now over 311,800,000. Let that soak in for a minute, the population of 1933 PLUS 186,221,237 MORE people
, more than double.

If you think it was tough to feed the poor and hungry back then, it will be worse in the future. With low food stores, natural resources diminished because of pollution (Fukushima, oil spills and all the other crap), over fished/farmed/wasted, we just have no idea. And trying to answer the OP's original question......that's the answer we ALL want to know. What and how long to prepare for. Life would be so much simpler if we only knew. Unfortunately, I don't think the world has experienced what most assuredly will be coming to the mass populations and we just don't know. Everything is speculation at this point and that is why we prepare the best we can with stocks of goods, preparing our minds and bodies to adjust and weather the coming changes however we can.

edit on 30-4-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

This massive collapse will never happen, only isolated pockets that TPTB will quickly extinguish with propaganda and empty promises.

I think about this quite often and find it hard to wrap my head around, what seems akin to, the most daring high wire act you can imagine. Performed on every level, over the Grand Canyon of humanity, without a glich and as if they are literally dancing on air.

Surely, there is a higher and absolutely sinister, intelligence at work in the world. Who could deny it ?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

My thought is that a currency collapse brought on by a debt default or by going over the line on monetizing debt is what you are asking about. This would be combination of asset price deflation and raw material hyper-inflation happening either simulataneously or in quick succession.

No one on this board can offer a truly confident prediction as this situation has not yet occurred with a modern economy. My thoughtful advice would be to have some low denomination precious metals on hand for local trade and barter. Probably enough for 60 days. I would guess $15k-$25k pre-collapse value depending on family size.

I also believe that a new currency system will be established fairly quickly, probably within 60 days. In this regard I believe that you will want to be an early adopter of the new currency, trading existing deposits, currency, or financial assets for positions in the new currency sooner than later even if the exchange seems like bad deal to start. In other currency transition periods late exchangers have seemed to get screwed.

This goes for financial assets, or what is left of them, as well. Settle trades in the new currency ASAP.

Once a new currency is established commercial activity will restart soon after. The government, or whatever comes next, will likely commandere the food production and distribution industries to deliver rationed goods. American free enterprise will do the rest. Total disruption: two to nine months. Total recovery time: 18 months to four years. Just my simple guess. That's really all anyone can offer.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Among the essential treasures you should have for survival are the Foxfire books -- there's a whole series of them. Basically, these books contain instructions on "How To" slaughter a hog, make soap, candles, rope, cloth, tanning leather, etc. -- knowledge saved from a pre-Industrial world where little was store-bought.

You either home-made or did without. This is knowledge from people who did not have much money (our money will be worthless in a collapse) and used barter. Hope you have some small denomination pre-1965 US silver coins.

There's a book entitled "Stillroom Cookery" by Grace Firth published in 1977. GF grew up with old people who knew how to do things the old Pioneer way. This book is "How To" make your own cheeses, wines, cure meats and more. Should be on every survivalist bookshelf.

Suggest you learn how to raise rabbits & guinea pigs for easy, cheap meat. Breed quickly. Among the ancient Incas, guinea pig was actually a delicacy. Still eaten in South America. Tastes like pork. Rabbit tastes like chicken. Skins can be used.

Good luck. If things get really bad for a long time, I'm pretty sure I will not be among the survivors.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LibertyCrazy

Fabulous post, thank you! I used to poop on the gold/silver craze, but now I'm leaning towards purchasing some very low denominations of both. My plan is to not need to buy anything (or much) but best laid plans and all....

Assuming a clean switchover to the new currency, I'm with you on your timeline, it seems logical. But it's that wave of little-guy resistance that spooks (and encourages) me. I feel like TPTB waited too long; 20 years ago there wasn't anywhere near the level of anti-Fed/anti-Wall St sentiment that there is now, and even more importantly, there wasn't the internet and global real-time communication and collaboration there is now. Facebook may be the beer hall of WW3.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
OK so I have been out all day today handing out posters and cards in two towns Nelson and Motueka, am going to a third town tomorrow Takaka. Currently we have 30 odd petitions on the streets from a lot of different communities in the region. If you had a look at Aoteroa is not for sale you would see a massive protest, in the thousands at least. I am known to a number of communities and most of these people don’t even own a computer, anyway all of these people have all these different idea’s ie it’s going to be up to us country folks to look after the city folks and they have been saying that for years I am encouraging these folk to put pen to paper and write but it’s slow. so you heard it here first Teachers will simply need to be re trained as we will have hundreds of people to educate. The country folk are preparing and believe me we have hundreds of groups and associations that represent the people far better than any government. At the moment the public are still media bound, more and more people are being woken up eventually a community will find someone who can type by the way i’m just a two fingered bloke. I have asked a number of people here if they knew anything about Iceland I found one out of 50. I’m hoping that if enough people got behind this march we can slowly push further into rectifying faults with the system of government. as a slow movement we can slowly adjust.

Free Kiwi, Free Men and women living under common law free of the law society's act’s

The hope is also that us fellow human beings can coexists and if you are having an argument with anyone ask your self what are the consequences? because at the end of the day all we need to argue about is food. If you know how to grow food grow some and if you think you need to prepare for a food shortage buy seed. That’s what we used before we had metallic things and now is pretty bits of paper. If we run out of petrol we had better dam well hope the country folk know how to breed horses, at least the local engineers will be kept busy converting cars to carts I could go on but have a look at Self Reliance Golden Bay If you have seed you will be able to teach to others what you know and how to live but be prepared to listen to others
edit on 1-5-2012 by xenanz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
this is about we not you / there is no I in team, 300,thousand Icelanders did it by getting together, why can't we do it? we need to get a couple of pet rabbits we all need to have a food source so that we can trade, if you dont have a source you will need to work for you food and had better learn how to shoe a horse because we have a lot of food that needs to be moved around and gotten into town. the new currencys that are being formed are based on an apple, an oninun pear etc. food is worth! gold may not be, besides we are actually running out of silver, so why don't you buy silver, I'm sorry but where we come from Food is number 1 and our land is worth more than gold

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Heres are the best things you can envest in, seed and anything relating to the growing of food a horse, pet pig, rabbits or a few I'm sure you can come up with your own and have a go at not getting stuff from the supermarket a milking cow or two would be handy, do you know any one who can make butter? do you have a local bakery? prehaps we should be working together so that we can slowley make things right can somone start a new topic Aoteroa is not for sale, an inspirational free kiwi look on politics

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Realtruth

This massive collapse will never happen, only isolated pockets that TPTB will quickly extinguish with propaganda and empty promises.

Surely, there is a higher and absolutely sinister, intelligence at work in the world. Who could deny it ?

Who could deny it? LOL try the billion or so sheep that think things are just apples..There are plenty of idiots who think things are going to be A OK.

He who laughs last and all that.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

He who laughs last and all that.

Hey Time, how you do'in ?

I guess I failed to consider one of my favorite Einstien quotes, that would find favor with your assertion.

" I know of only two things that go to infinity. The universe and the stupidity of man. I'm not completely sure about the universe ".

Albert Einstien.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Oh, I'm using that one. Like, today, LOL!

You can always count on old Bert for a gem.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to look into those books.

Another thing people might want to hand onto is copper wire and electric motors. You could probably get more return with good wire than gold coinage.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Not a bad bit of predicting......

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I can't see a new currency being the answer to any of the system's problems. You've mentioned trading financial assets and existing currency, in to the new currency.

Are you saying that the lack of currently in circulation currency to trade for existing financial assets is a reason for the breakdown of the current financial system - and that a new currency would solve this problem, by replacing financial assets with liquid currency of the "new" kind, in addition to replacing currently in circulation currency?

My thought is that a currency collapse brought on by a debt default or by going over the line on monetizing debt is what you are asking about. This would be combination of asset price deflation and raw material hyper-inflation happening either simulataneously or in quick succession.

No one on this board can offer a truly confident prediction as this situation has not yet occurred with a modern economy.

I'm not sure that people have to wait for this quoted situation for problems to arise. One only has to look at what has happened to Greece, or Syria or Egypt to guess that trouble due to a financial kind can happen in a modern economy (though I am too uneducated about financial systems to verbalize what happened in those countries) - at least enough to cause people to be upset to a life and death level of irritation.

Not that I understand much about financial systems - but I'm not sure that I need to.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sensibleSenseless

I don't think he's saying that at all; I don't think most people talking about a new global currency are actually advocating it. I think most of us are saying that will be the "solution" to the current crisis TPTB put in place----a global debt reset based on the idea that no one gets to go back to the old systems of manipulating currency and coining their own sovereign currency. The global central banking cartels will issue one currency that will bind us all together, with no hope of leaving others to deal with their own problems or make their own loopholes.

Right now, the US could technically tell the Fed to suck it and start printing Greenbacks again (sovereign currency issued by the US government, not the Fed) and eventually pay the debt back pretty quickly while creating prosperity. It may not be free from fluctuation, but then again neither is the current system.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I appreciate your reply.

I suspected that that might be what he was trying to get at... but just thought I'd confirm.

Essentially, I see the same thing - a possible re-issuance of some new form of currency/system being put out - more likely something global.

I do see the same weaknesses in any such schemes that are used - if they get used. So, I don't think that any such re-issuance would be a cure.

I'm also of the opinion that those who hold the financial systems accountable for the debts already incurred by continents are quite powerful, and would likely not want to see prosperity, short of some sort of consequence of this situation. Lord knows what that will entail.

Essentially, I believe that people are going to be made to pay some form of price for all this.

Not that I approve or that there isn't enough of a price being paid for other TPTB issues. eg: Fukushima... Just that that is what I believe is likely to happen.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Please forgive me, for I am a noob in the economics department.

I'm just curious as to how this would work. If you could please explain.

Right now, the US could technically tell the Fed to suck it and start printing Greenbacks again (sovereign currency issued by the US government, not the Fed) and eventually pay the debt back pretty quickly while creating prosperity. It may not be free from fluctuation, but then again neither is the current system.

I'm not too familiar with the whole Greenbacks thing.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Flowmaster05

There's a pretty good synopsis here and if you search YouTube for "The money masters" there's a 3.5-hour-long film that will explain it all in great detail, with all the history, and it's mega long but so worth the watch.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join