It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming collapse: what should one expect? How does one survive?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I think there are a lot of deluded people on ats. if tshtf things are going to get more out of control than any one of us can possibly predict. we don't know enough of the variables to project an accurate scenario. Hell the ptb don't know what to expect. Just be ready to think on your feet. Be adaptable. Be cunning. Be smart. If things do turn ugly it's going to be nasty. There has never been this many people on the planet all at once. Imagine that many scared hungry desperate animals running around trying to survive. Yeah it's going to be interesting that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sensibleSenseless

Excellent, awesome reply. You've brought up a lot to think about.

So you see the governments squabbling, collapsing one by one, and smaller groups of people coming back together? Germany is probably a good candidate for that; they seem to have endless bootstraps.

Your reminders also bring to mind the Rodney King riots (and in a timely way). Just a legal decision brought much of LA to its knees; might the mass panic also cause people to riot and, intentionally or unintentionally, take down the infrastructure with it? Very likely. That's when the military comes in again, like the LA riots, and if there's no calm to be had after the storm, it won't get better this time.

Great points, thank you.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
By the by I have been told 2013 is when all of this will happen. This is going to be a year from hell so be ready.

Told by who?

Interesting thread.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It is not the economic "collapse" that I am worried about......it is the potential "collapse" of civilization (as we know it; ie "modern conveniences") if there is a) a large cyber attack or EMP strike, b) a global pandemic from the release of a new bio-weapon or c) WWIII (especially if it involves the exchange of thermo-nuclear weapons). The economic cycles have thus far always found a trough (altho the entitlements, derivatives, global debt and percent of the population non-agrarian ensures a very bad landing)....but the other scenarios could end the game as we know it. Boy Scouts Motto: "Be Prepared" (and dont forget to be "reverent" and pray).

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If there are guns, there is almost always the threat of violence in a breakdown situation. But guns don't necessarily ensure that the wise or good people survive. It then almost always serves as a means for escalation of the use of guns.

There are countries where guns are hard to obtain. It might be easier to live in those countries. My best friend (I was born in North America, to parents who hail from the far East), is Iranian, and he has seen a lot of violence. He mentioned that gun fights are never pretty. You can't dodge bullets as they show in 007 movies etc... He mentioned that it is more important to simply get out of the way, where guns are involved - and not bother to stick around to shoot - if you can.

Just something I thought that people should keep in mind.
edit on 30-4-2012 by sensibleSenseless because: simple edit

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by brintonwhite

I have heard of some significant "earth changes" for March 2013 by one who is shall we say "spiritual". It has to do with the sun....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I've read most of the posts here, but couldn't find any mention of suggesting the growing of HEMP.

So my suggestion would be to do as much research about the growing of Hemp & the many ways it can be used.

Also go about acquiring a good supply of seeds.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The collapse already happened.

The water is starting to boil.

There will be no sudden 'event' which will be obvious.

It is a slow, steady boil.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Antibiotics and painkillers are a must. Stockpile as many as possible, and use as little of them as possible. And if you can, I suggest you learn how to make them yourself. Medical supplies of all kinds are a must, and we should all get a general overview of medical treatments, meds, and caring for your immune system, especially in the event of a pandemic of some kind--meaning that you should start taking vitamins and strengthening your immune system as much as possible now, before TSHTF. Even if all conspiracies were a load of crap (which I don't believe they are), there are still deadly diseases everywhere, and a healthy immune system is one of the most important things to have surviving every day life, and especially after our national collapse.

Take no vaccines or shots, because they will destroy your immune system, and a lot of other important aspects of your physical and mental health. I have a HUGE mass of ramen noodles and instant mashed potatoes, but that's just because it's the cheapest food out there. Neither of them are actually great for health, so you should stockpile meat, preferably hunted meat that isn't tampered with, but if that's not possible for you, and if you have no way to keep a lot of meat frozen, buy potted meat like Spam and Veinna sausages, and beef jerky. They aren't nearly as good as normal or hunted meat, but it's still meat, and you must have meat. You've gotta have your protein.

Gotta have fruit and veggies too, they are essential. Try to find a way to preserve fresh fruits, preferably ones you grow yourself if you can, but if that's not possible, canned fruit and veggies are better than nothing... I have lots of those too. I say fruits, veggies and meat are most important, other than stockpiling purified water--water you bought at the store, drinking or distilled water, or water purified by a filter on your sink that gets rid of most of the flouride and all the other chemicals in the tap water under the name of flouride that make you four times more likely to get cancer. Do everything possible not to have to save up straight-up tap water, it's not good for you.

Hunting, gardening, and growing herbs are excellent skills to have... like a lot of people before me said, stay the hell outta the city if you can, but if that's not possible, we should all have a plan as to how we'll survive on the streets, when's the best time to travel, where other rioters are gonna be, and when, where, and how to loot.

Always have a radio, a satellite radio if possible, and maybe a police scanner in order to keep up with things, and if you have children and you still have electricity, make sure they have a small awareness of what's going on, but not too much, because they're children of course.. shouldn't scare them... and make sure they have some form of entertainment to keep their minds off whatever is going on outside, like a playstation. If you'd rather not have them playing video games, bring toys, card games, board games, and smile for them and play with them. The kids have to be happy and protected no matter what. Children are all important, and I personally believe they're the most important people of every nation and in every generation.

Make sure you can all do a few basic things without electricity too, in the event of an EMP, solar flare, or a regular rolling blackout. I also say stock up on guns, obviously (I'm super pro-gun and pro-weapon). And, it's not such a bad idea to stock up on other weapons and learn to use them as well, crossbows, throwing knives, daggers, swords, quality pocket knives, baseball bats, tazers, ect.

And above all, the single most important thing you can do is be right with The Lord, defend his word, his love, your love, your loved ones' love, and all love.

That's just my 2cents. Hope it was helpful to someone, God bless

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This collapse has been going on for a long time now, do you think there really will be a total collapse?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
That is a huge laundry list of stuff to know.

My suggestion is to try and group with others to find out about various aspects of what you've mentioned. I don't know anyone who knows it all. That is why it helps to be in large groups of people who are of a similar mindset.

But, very importantly... make up your mind to co-ordinate efforts and planning. If everyone on a team does their own thing - it might end up defeating the exercise of trying to work with others.

The other very important thing - is to work over time to become self-sufficient, all depending on how long you end up waiting for a better arrangement to come along. This is highly unpredictable and can depend on the situations that arise with the old system. (for example: how many people die, what skill sets remain, how many highly educated people left, what access to resources exist, if there is any investors around, wars, nuclear disasters/bombs, good capable leaders etc...)

There is IMHO absolutely nothing like having level headed planners who are good at seeing things ahead of time to help out - you can avoid having societies spring up that quickly fizzle out if they don't take care of fatal/critical situations before they become unavoidable obstacles.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
My mother's family had a farm during the Depression. TImes were hard, but they did alright as they had the means and the skills for self-sufficiency, and they were able to make a small amount of money selling milk and such to the others in town, though often people could not afford to pay- so much was given away or swapped in barter trades. A disturbing fact is that there are not only far more people now than there were back then, but most people today don't have much for useful skills.

It's far more important to have useful skills- tools and know-how to use them- than stockpiles of consumables. Have books, too. Be a good and useful neighbor and you'll be valuable for who you are and what you can do rather than what you have. You can adapt to whatever trade or currency happens to present, and other people just might look out for you.

The issue the OP just raised, about the ensuing war following the initial collapse and the likely power grab and martial law- excellent point and one that ought to be taken VERY seriously, as this is truly where a collapse goes from being a crisis to a complete societal overhaul.

A good era to look at is the 17th century - collapses of major economies, interruption in trade, with widespread wars, governments challenged and some overthrown, disease and famine. The Thirty Years War- took many decades for things to return to anything like "normal" and Europe was never entirely the same afterwards.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
in case anyone out there wants to murder thier family and commit suicide, step away from the keyboard and get a life

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

4Hero - I think it is hard to imagine us getting off of the current trajectory... They've been trying several different angles to do so.

It's not that anyone should want a collapse to occur. It is just a guess, given the direction things have taken so far.

A lot of us have looked at where things have been and are going as far as trying to understand the financial systems go... It doesn't look like they can solve the status quo. On the other hand, it does look like it is only a matter of time before things get ugly. These are indications from those who run things within big banking - at least in my understanding so far.

My guess would be the degeneration of things will likely follow an assymptotic curve. But, no harm in hoping I'm wrong.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
in case anyone out there wants to murder thier family and commit suicide, step away from the keyboard and get a life

where did that come from?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sensibleSenseless

Uh...you're kidding, right??

When someone breaks down your door with the intent of relieving you of whatever supplies you may have, "getting out of the way" is simply not an option. We're discussing a chaotic survival scenario here - a place where you cannot simply pick up the phone and expect a cop to come riding over the hill to save you and yours.

Yes, there are countries where guns are hard to acquire - that is, hard for the "law abiding" people to acquire them. Criminals and potential looters can get guns of any sort almost anwhere on the planet. You have expressed the opinion that surviving in those places might be easier. Well, in my opinion, those will be the places where criminals (who don't bother to follow the law even in present day society) will find it much easier to survive and flourish. As for those who cannot defend themselves and their loved ones, they are called "victims" - and will have a VERY short life expectency when the SHTF.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4hero
This collapse has been going on for a long time now, do you think there really will be a total collapse?

I totally agree.

I think a lot of people want (or think they want) a big 'event', but the reality is that the 'collapse' happened a few years ago, and now we are living in the aftermath. There may be more collapses. Some even larger, if the Euro finally implodes. But it appears to be happening in ripples, so people are less likely to notice and freak out.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensibleSenseless
reply to post by 4hero

4Hero - I think it is hard to imagine us getting off of the current trajectory... They've been trying several different angles to do so.

It's not that anyone should want a collapse to occur. It is just a guess, given the direction things have taken so far.

A lot of us have looked at where things have been and are going as far as trying to understand the financial systems go... It doesn't look like they can solve the status quo. On the other hand, it does look like it is only a matter of time before things get ugly. These are indications from those who run things within big banking - at least in my understanding so far.

My guess would be the degeneration of things will likely follow an assymptotic curve. But, no harm in hoping I'm wrong.

Nice reply!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I've been watching "Doomsday Preppers" on National Geographic and it got me thinking...

The show was funny, some people were bat **** crazy but they made me chuckle but one or two really made me think because they were making sense, which is scary.

It would explain a lot of the activity around the world, the strange noises, the obvious and not so obvious mass storage by TPTB of seeds, material etc, are they "Doomsday Prepping" on a larger scale?

The Sun has been very active and it the science does hold up i.e. the effects of a massive solar flare. It would also half explain some prophecies like what Nostradamus supposedly wrote (nostradamusdecoded.com...) which could represent damaged satellites and anything else that is up there in the upper atmosphere.

Or they could be prepping for multiple scenarios, like the collapse of the economy, rogue viruses and/or multiple events.

It wouldn't be too far a stretch if you get the best minds of today to do some trend analysis on the data at hand, maybe they have seen something which they are not sharing with the masses (to protect us from the truth?), would that also be the reason why space programs have been cancelled because they want to ride out the wave and rebuild what's left of a post-dooms day world?

Either way, food for thought.
edit on 30-4-2012 by old_god because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join